• Disliked them

31 40.26%
  • Unsure

7 9.09%
  • No opinion

7 9.09%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    So you're claiming that people who like Kyle voted for the gray temples because they want to sabotage Hal? Seriously?
    lol "sabotage" No. That's not even remotely close to what I said.

I said that they/the grey temples are mostly popular now among Kyle fans who don't like Hal as a GL and prefer him as Parallax (including everything that is associated with that signature look)

Since your small poll didn't exclude them or anyone else from voting, of course they are going to vote for what they like (just like me and everyone else here simply voted for what we liked)

If you had polled GL fans at the time they/the grey temples first appeared out of nowhere or if you were to poll only a group of longtime Hal fans I very much doubt that the result would be the same.

That's all I'm saying. It's only a comic book poll. No need to get all serious. It's not life or death.stuff.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 08-15-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Sabotage or not , I would be greatly surprised if the vast majority of pro-gray people placed Hal over either Kyle or John as their favorite GL.
    You and me both lol

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like them if we go by realistic but slowly timeline, meaning all the Justice League generations also start graying, and the Titans generation take over their mentor's role as the main heroes while said mentors now act as overseers.

BANNED

If DC's next effort to push Hal into Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent territory fails, as I think it will, then a reboot of the property would be the time to do this.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

If DC's next effort to push Hal into Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent territory fails, as I think it will, then a reboot of the property would be the time to do this.
    Whether you're right or wrong about that, Trey, I can say without any doubt that giving Hal gray temples won't change anything in the slightest.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Whether you're right or wrong about that, Trey, I can say without any doubt that giving Hal gray temples won't change anything in the slightest.
    I think it will. First, it's a striking visual, and more important, it'll give Hal a gravitas as the most mature of the Earth Lanterns -- without designating him as "the greatest."

I think it will. First, it's a striking visual, and more important, it'll give Hal a gravitas as the most mature of the Earth Lanterns -- without designating him as "the greatest."
    Well, in that case, every superhero should be sporting them, right?

BANNED

Well, in that case, every superhero should be sporting them, right?
    When you've got four Earth Lanterns (or, even worse, six), you need to differentiate them. It's a good idea to make one the elder. As in the Bonanza television series.

I never reinvent the wheel. Everything I say has been proved to work, or at minimum hasn't been proved not to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQjb_QiFbJE
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-18-2018 at 07:01 AM.

When you've got four Earth Lanterns (or, even worse, six), you need to differentiate them. It's a good idea to make one the elder. As in the Bonanza television series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQjb_QiFbJE
    Except we wanted to be either Little Joe or Adam (even Hoss for his strength, though not his looks ) instead of Ben as kids back in the '70s, though.

BANNED

Except we wanted to be either Little Joe or Adam (even Hoss for his strength, though not his looks ) instead of Ben as kids back in the '70s, though.
    It's not about who the audience wants to be. It's about supplying your property with characters who generate intriguing stories.

Creator David Dortort saw Bonanza as a four-character show, with Lorne Greene as the first among equals. But to his surprise, as the show went on, Dan Blocker somehow emerged as the star. Hoss was by far the guy who people wanted to see.

That's the beauty of a setup like that. You don't tell people who to prefer, as DC does with Hal. You let them decide for themselves who they like.

It's not about who the audience wants to be. It's about supplying your property with characters who generate intriguing stories.

Creator David Dortort saw Bonanza as a four-character show, with Lorne Greene as the first among equals. But to his surprise, as the show went on, Dan Blocker somehow emerged as the star. Hoss was by far the guy who people wanted to see.

That's the beauty of a setup like that. You don't tell people who to prefer, as DC does with Hal. You let them decide for themselves who they like.
    But who is going to be Candy and Hop Sing, Trey?

In all seriousness, this is not going to happen again, so it's all moot. Certainly not without a complete universe reboot (well, as complete as COIE and the New 52 were). No instant aging out of the blue as happened during the DCU.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. There's only one character as big as Batman at DC - Batman. Yeah, with GL Rebirth they refocused GL around Hal- but with the others playing important roles. It worked really well, and almost 15 years later....obviously DC grasps the model pretty well by now.

2. A reboot would not result in Hal being around. He'd have to go offstage for awhile, along with John, Kyle, etc. It'd be a new, lone character to reset the palette, a la Kyle circa 1995.

3. They grey streaks thing worked for a while, but they'll never do it again. In fact, if DC hasn't already brought something from pre-Didio back to the table, it ain't coming back. Didio is likely the last EIC they'll ever have who actually read DC comics in the 70s, 80s or early 1990s.

Whatever has been discarded from that era is gonna stay there.

BANNED

But who is going to be Candy and Hop Sing, Trey?

In all seriousness, this is not going to happen again, so it's all moot. Certainly not without a complete universe reboot (well, as complete as COIE and the New 52 were). No instant aging out of the blue as happened during the DCU.
    Yes, it can be done only in a reboot.

With your "Bonanza" comparison, the problem is that Hal wasn't created to be "the old guy." And while they could make him one with a reboot, no reboot DC has done has been able to wipe away how readers feel about a character, regardless of how DC tells you one should see them or what their current continuity says. (look at Cyborg as a JLA founder) And as you say, it's ultimately about what the fans think, not what DC wants to push.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    lol "sabotage" No. That's not even remotely close to what I said.

I said that they/the grey temples are mostly popular now among Kyle fans who don't like Hal as a GL and prefer him as Parallax (including everything that is associated with that signature look)

Since your small poll didn't exclude them or anyone else from voting, of course they are going to vote for what they like (just like me and everyone else here simply voted for what we liked)

If you had polled GL fans at the time they/the grey temples first appeared out of nowhere or if you were to poll only a group of longtime Hal fans I very much doubt that the result would be the same.

That's all I'm saying. It's only a comic book poll. No need to get all serious. It's not life or death.stuff.

Personally, I think GL should have only 4 fingers - like mickey and mini and Ben Grim