Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Best/Worst Deconstructions in tv and movies

Deconstruction is basically taking apart some work and looking at it in a different way. For decades, tv shows and movies have been doing that when it comes to characters, tropes, situations and reality. Often it can work well. Other times, not so much.

Best deconstruction: Oliver training the newbies in Season Five of Arrow. Someone with Oliver's personality would and should suck at training others, and it showed in that storyline. Also, most of them weren't willing to listen to him, like Rene, and even easily turned on him, like Evelyn. Meanwhile, Curtis remained to this day the weakest member as he had no prior fighting skills.

Worst deconstruction: None yet. Stay tuned.

Best superhero deconstruction: The Incredibles.

Worst superhero deconstruction: Man of Steel, Batman V Superman.

Worst : BatsvsSupes, Last Jedi

Best : Galactica (tv)

Astonishing Member

Best: Crazy Ex Girlfriend. It’s a pitch perfect deconstruction of romantic comedies and musicals. It shows how many of the tropes are unhealthy and examines the real world consequences of acting like you’re in a romantic comedy.

Worst: The Lone Ranger (2013). It spends 90% of the movie showing the Lone Ranger as an incompetent idiot while Tonto is played by Johnny Depp at his worst. Then it tries to reverse itself in the climax with a traditional fight against the villain, but the whole thing just doesn’t work.

BANNED

The Sergio Leone westerns and their descendants like High Plains Drifter and Unforgiven.

Disney's Frozen.

Maybe the Sopranos?

Last Action Hero.

BANNED

Will Smith's Wild Wild West for worst.

Deleted post.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 08-11-2018 at 08:28 AM.

On trhe subject of superhero movies that could have been a great deconstructions, Hancock.

It started out as a really great deconstrcution about a down on his luck, drunk, fed up man with the powers of superman who still wanted to do good.... and then it became something stupid.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I say it could've been. It could've been a great movie of what you mentioned and what it's like to date a superhero from the POV of human character. But G-Girl doesn't really suffer much consequences for her horrible actions and is easily forgiven, not to mention that the script is just bad. Waste of an awesome premise.
    I was talking about the current TV show Crazy Ex Girlfriend on the CW. Not the forgettable Uma Thurman/Luke Wilson movie My Super Ex-Girlfriend. Since the OP did not specify comic related or super hero TV/Movies, I chose CXG since it is a skillful deconstruction of rom coms and musicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    On trhe subject of superhero movies that could have been a great deconstructions, Hancock.

It started out as a really great deconstrcution about a down on his luck, drunk, fed up man with the powers of superman who still wanted to do good.... and then it became something stupid.
    The first half should've been the whole movie. Forget the whole "Charlize Theron is also super-powered and Hancock's lover for millennia".

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I was talking about the current TV show Crazy Ex Girlfriend on the CW. Not the forgettable Uma Thurman/Luke Wilson movie My Super Ex-Girlfriend. Since the OP did not specify comic related or super hero TV/Movies, I chose CXG since it is a skillful deconstruction of rom coms and musicals.
    Clearly my eyes need some work.

Astonishing Member

Worst

TV Mist
    Movie - Rogen's Green Hornet

Best - Depp's Sleepy Hollow

Extraordinary Member

Best: Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Worst: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Worst deconstruction: Lex Luthor in Superman 1978. Penguin in Batman Returns. Turned successful businessmen wielding great power into basically sewer rats with hare-brained get rich quick schemes.
    Also Catwoman in Batman Returns. Turned street smart cat burglar into mousey secretary with revenge as her only motivation. I don't think she even stole anything in the entire movie.

Best: Battlestar Galactica 2004 - Turned cheesy highly inaccurate sci fi romp into something truly meaty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Worst deconstruction: Lex Luthor in Superman 1978. Penguin in Batman Returns. Turned successful businessmen wielding great power into basically sewer rats with hare-brained get rich quick schemes.
    1970's Lex was a nutjob in a red/purple tights and jetboots.
    The business man is a post-Crisis invention of the 80's.