Page 23 of 113 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Eye-Boy has great potential, ok? Lol! We just need people to actually start trying to really use these new characters to start seeing the potential realized.
    Multiple writers have used Eye Boy. Aaron in WATXM, Kalan in Spider-Man and the X-men, Strain in Generation X.

No potential ever realized

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    They can relaunch a new team with Cyclops, Wolverine, Emma Frost, Magneto and Cable. Those not on the cover
    That was my hope for X-Men Black originally
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Multiple writers have used Eye Boy. Aaron in WATXM, Kalan in Spider-Man and the X-men, Strain in Generation X.

I'm pretty sure she/he was sarcastic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

Strain's run was cut short because you guys didn't buy it, but she was doing nice character work on a number of young characters. Eye-Boy will have his day. As will Transonic!

Incredible Member

Very glad to see Banshee looking fully alive. But sorry to not see Siryn.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    The problem isn't the new characters, it's that the old ones are never allowed to fade away

I agree it is a balance between the instinct of "hey this is a cool idea let's make this" and "keep the roster streamlined and permanently the same".

Some change is required , can it go too far sure

But I'm mostly hearing people seemingly just want to erase like... a lot of things... many of which are awesome and certainly have potential

I agree with salarta - it's fine to "limbo" characters if the writers don't have passion for them or there isn't deemed enough books to fit them all on at the same time.

But no need to just "mass cull" whatsoever, that would be destructive and writers will simply begin the process again anyway. People want to create new things
    In general, I dislike how these kinds of comic books treat death. It's always gratuitous, wasteful and empty. Never a sense that the characters killed off had any value or worth, or that they mattered to anyone. It usually happens to promote other characters the editors/writers actually like and respect, whether that's to make a villain/threat look more dangerous, or it's to make a character seem "deeper" by how they react to the death. And of course, to cull available rosters, for which death isn't necessary either. Typically, all it means is that whoever gets killed off is a character people at the company don't see the value in compared to their own personal faves.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    In general, I dislike how these kinds of comic books treat death. It's always gratuitous, wasteful and empty. Never a sense that the characters killed off had any value or worth, or that they mattered to anyone. It usually happens to promote other characters the editors/writers actually like and respect, whether that's to make a villain/threat look more dangerous, or it's to make a character seem "deeper" by how they react to the death. And of course, to cull available rosters, for which death isn't necessary either. Typically, all it means is that whoever gets killed off is a character people at the company don't see the value in compared to their own personal faves.
    Agree. If they want an event to 'matter', they'll kill off a major character and use it to promote their story and develop other characters they like.

To get into deaths sticking or not, the X-Men are like any other brand in the big two comic book companies -- it's foolish to permanently kill off a property that makes money. The long standing guys just don't make sense to keep dead. It's the borderline characters that they could get away with killing off and not see any real impact on sales. The thing is, those deaths won't matter to many readers, so won't boost their story. If they do it in bulk, I guess it could.

The last time I can recall a newly created character actually mattering, long term, was X-23, and a lot of that is because she was based on Wolverine and got plenty of TLC over the years. Other than that, one writer's creation is the next writer's cannon fodder.

Older characters aging out to make way for younger ones is a way to finish destroying the franchise, in my opinion. It works the same for the Avengers. Fred Smith, super-mechanic, isn't going to replace Tony Stark any more than Oya will replace Storm, Pixie will replace Magik, or Rockslide will replace Colossus.
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 08-11-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Maybe Eye Boy won't be showing up in Uncanny. Brisson did confirm that he was, in fact, dead a while back.

https://twitter.com/edbrisson/status...809865217?s=19

Astonishing Member

Strain's run was cut short because you guys didn't buy it, but she was doing nice character work on a number of young characters. Eye-Boy will have his day. As will Transonic!
    Transonic teenage Warhead's purpose died the moment AvX ended.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    well I hope so. I already tired of writers bringing it everytime they have a chance.
    to think Scott mourned Jean for ike 5 minutes.
    In fairness, the first time she died he had a mental breakdown.

Hard to truly mourn someone twice. Outside of maybe Tom Sawyer or Rick & Morty.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Maybe Eye Boy won't be showing up in Uncanny. Brisson did confirm that he was, in fact, dead a while back.

https://twitter.com/edbrisson/status...809865217?s=19
    Besides, covers always lie.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

BANNED

So glad they're using the 80s/90s logo as well, love that.

Hope they stick to it now and I can't wait to see what variants we get for this, finally some real X-Men hype and push.

Spectacular Member

To think someone actually wrote a story where the world ends if Scott doesn't get a different girlfriend.

And people think being caught up and killed in that is a boon for Jean and something that should be repeated lol
    Bingo. Mercifully, Rosenberg is not going to be dwelling on that crap. The proof is in the pudding. In PR 5, Jean leeched the life out of Scott and left him a dessicated husk on the ground. Thank you Rosenberg. I hope he gets Uncanny.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    The problem isn't the new characters, it's that the old ones are never allowed to fade away

I agree it is a balance between the instinct of "hey this is a cool idea let's make this" and "keep the roster streamlined and permanently the same".

Some change is required , can it go too far sure

But I'm mostly hearing people seemingly just want to erase like... a lot of things... many of which are awesome and certainly have potential

I agree with salarta - it's fine to "limbo" characters if the writers don't have passion for them or there isn't deemed enough books to fit them all on at the same time.

But no need to just "mass cull" whatsoever, that would be destructive and writers will simply begin the process again anyway. People want to create new things
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    Older characters aging out to make way for younger ones is a way to finish destroying the franchise, in my opinion. It works the same for the Avengers. Fred Smith, super-mechanic, isn't going to replace Tony Stark any more than Oya will replace Storm, Pixie will replace Magik, or Rockslide will replace Colossus.
    I read X-Men with the expectation that most of the relevant characters - the A-list roster that make the X-Men the X-Men - are not going to fade away. It's like a long-running TV series. Friends is Friends because of Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Chandler, Joey and Ross. You'd never think to switch out Rachel for her younger sister or have Monica and Joey replaced by the new couple that moved in next door.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Thanks for posting this. Rosenberg certainly says all the right things. To be honest he's the writer I'm most apprehensive on due to the disappointment that was Phoenix Resurrection, but it's great hearing that he's so enthusiastic about writing Uncanny.

The last time we had an X-MEN disassembled we had a Schism

And the last time the Avengers had one we had Wanda murder a few.

We also know Cassandra Novas machines and the Reaver virus and Magneto are relevant to Extinction.

So it's very possible we can get a new team with the characters not on the cover.