Page 56 of 113 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I’m not In the loop on this particular topic nor do I care about it but I do have to agree with others about the social media issue.

Like.... if writing is supposed to have meaning and make any difference, shouldn’t all the required info be present in the pages? The idea that one has to keep up with social media or read message boards to get “canon” information is kinda nuts.

This also brings up the question of how canon something is if it isn’t printed. I’ve seen people often use writer’s stated intentions as fact even if it wasn’t said in print. For example I often see “Claremont intended for soandso...”. To me I just don’t care about what anyone intended or thought. Clearing up a misunderstanding is one thing but expanding or adding canon is another.

Edit: I’m not really talking about this particular case it’s just a general thought I’ve had in the past on other issues
    Yes it should be in the pages of the comic with the only exception being what ODA dose. If you dont follow one piece if fans submit a character design or comment on
    backround character he gives them a huge backstory a recent example is vice admirals pink rabbit and brown pig fan wanted to name the two new admiral oda gave them designs a made them cannon. Fans say a bckround character looks interesting he gives them s name backstory and motivations. However in this case reveal for Laura was a unfortunate casualty of logans return. I guarentee this was indeed to be the subject of a ark in or at least the 36th issue of ANW. But logans return made them cancel ANW early. So Taylor had to squeeze it in to a page a half and unintentionally force Tamaki to alter her story to explain it.
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 08-18-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post
    While I have zero issue with Laura being represented as LGBTQ; I will say that I'm tired of feeling like there's more of a push for characters to become LGBTQ than fans pushing for confirmed LGBTQ characters to get more representation.

I want characters like Karma, Anole, Mercury, Northstar, Prodigy, etc to be in the main books; and while I know people will counter argue 'they don't sell', part of the reason is they're never given a chance. The only character's regularly featured are Iceman recently, Northstar (sometimes) , Shatterstar (sometimes), Rictor, Daken and Mystique.
    I've seen a lot of fans asking for Polaris to be gay or bi, and I'm all for it. Aside from the obvious good of it, maybe relationships with female characters would be more constructive for her than the toxic foundation she has with Havok.

I've always agreed about how "obscure" characters deserve more use and representation. I started that view largely cause it applied to Lorna, but I stick by it today even with Lorna in the popular category (even though Marvel still likes to pretend she's a nobody character). There are plenty of characters that deserve better than Marvel's ever been willing to give them.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I see people pushing both for outing characters created when queer subtext was the only option and raising the profile of canonically queer characters. These two options should, can, and do work together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I've seen a lot of fans asking for Polaris to be gay or bi, and I'm all for it. Aside from the obvious good of it, maybe relationships with female characters would be more constructive for her than the toxic foundation she has with Havok.

I've always agreed about how "obscure" characters deserve more use and representation. I started that view largely cause it applied to Lorna, but I stick by it today even with Lorna in the popular category (even though Marvel still likes to pretend she's a nobody character). There are plenty of characters that deserve better than Marvel's ever been willing to give them.
    Here's a survey of the living LGBT X-characters we have that I can think of off hand:

Iceman (only counting Adult since the O5 are likely to be gone soon)
    Anole
    Bling!
    Mercury
    Northstar
    Honey Badger (suggested, but unconfirmed)
    Rictor
    Shatterstar
    Graymalkin
    Mystique
    Daken
    Pyro II
    Prodigy
    Governor-General Howlett

Of this group, the only ones who get to be a regular team fixture are Bobby and Gabby, and Gabby's orientation hasn't been explored or confirmed yet. Mystique and Daken get frequent play as a villains (though Daken gets to play more of an anti-hero role with Laura and Gabby). Rictor, Shatterstar, and Northstar put in the occasional appearance, but haven't had full-time team status recently. I'm not sure when Graymalkin turned up last at all, Karma didn't even get a roster slot in the New Mutants: Dead Souls miniseries, and almost all of the kids have been wallpapered. General Howlett is, as far as I know, still in the main 'verse, but hasn't been seen in several years.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Attachment 69333

Wow! This is exciting.
    I would be perfectly happy with this team! Six of these characters where in one of my favorite teams ever, Claremont's last run on Uncanny. Substituting Laura for Logan and the addition of Jean, Jubilee and Beast make me even happier (Sorry Bobby fans, but I could take or leave Iceman). There is already a lot of good chemistry in the history of this team, and the mix of younger X-men would make things interesting.

I guess it's probably too much to ask for, but one can hope. I wonder who will lead, Jean as with Red?

I honestly don't care for the cover art all that much. I hope the interior art is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Here's a survey of the living LGBT X-characters we have that I can think of off hand:

Iceman (only counting Adult since the O5 are likely to be gone soon)
    Anole
    Bling!
    Mercury
    Northstar
    Honey Badger (suggested, but unconfirmed)
    Rictor
    Shatterstar
    Graymalkin
    Mystique
    Daken
    Pyro II
    Prodigy
    Governor-General Howlett
    Of the ones you listed, there's almost zero interest in them, aside from a few obvious ones -- Iceman, Northstar and Gabby, as an attachment supporting to Laura. Daken and Mystique have their place on the villain side.

I expect that's why they chose to go the route they did with Iceman, and still, look at his former solo sales.

In short, in a franchise where they desperately need to be getting rid of some of the excess characters, why drag some back out because of their orientation and try to make them happen? I think characters should get development and use because they're interesting,not to fulfill a quota of some sort.

Laura has been the only break out of newer mutant characters created within the last 20 years, and that's largely because of who she is based on. Why should we expect any of these guys to be relevant in that atmosphere? I mean, should it be another Quinton Quire, where editorial has been trying to force that to happen forever (and it still hasn't)?
    Last edited by Sundown; 08-18-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    Of the ones you listed, there's almost zero interest in them, aside from a few obvious ones -- Iceman, Northstar and Gabby, as an attachment supporting to Laura. Daken and Mystique have their place on the villain side.

I expect that's why they chose to go the route they did with Iceman, and still, look at his former solo sales.

In short, in a franchise where they desperately need to be getting rid of some of the excess characters, why drag some back out because of their orientation and try to make them happen? I think characters should get development and use because they're interesting,not to fulfill a quota of some sort.

Laura has been the only break out of newer mutant characters created within the last 20 years, and that's largely because of who she is based on. Why should we expect any of these guys to be relevant in that atmosphere? I mean, should it be another Quinton Quire, where editorial has been trying to force that to happen forever (and it still hasn't)?
    All of those characters either have been interesting at one time or could be interesting with the right direction.

Iceman's solo dealt with coming out of the closet as an adult, what life-long repression looks and feels like, and the intersection of being a mutant and queer.
    Anole has a great and funny dynamic with Rockslide that once had a presence in the X-books and should again.
    I liked what Strain did with Bling in Generation X.
    Mercury has a history with X-23 that could be used to reinforce interesting stories.
    I personally don't like Northstar that much but maybe a writer could reinvent Marvel's first gay mutant.
    Rictor and Shatterstar can be used for melodrama that isn't heteronormative; stories can be told about queer people in an open relationship.
    Greymalkin has a pretty damn compelling origin story.
    Mystique can deal with the realities of loving another woman years after her partner has died.
    Daken is the blacksheep of the Claw family and it would be neat to see how his sexuality plays a part in his counter-normative/cultural worldview.
    Pyro II sucks get him out of the books please.
    Prodigy explores how manifesting powers and changes with those powers can impact sexuality. His development in Young Avengers was great so why hasn't the X-books done anything with it.
    Governor-General Howlett is an alt character so I'm not sure how much attention we want to give him.

This probably belongs in a Queer X-Character thread but I hope a bunch of these characters have roles to play in Uncanny.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post

Iceman's solo dealt with coming out of the closet as an adult, what life-long repression looks and feels like, and the intersection of being a mutant and queer.
    And, judging by numbers, it appears they overestimated the level of interest in such a story, yet here he is, getting another solo book. It's certainly not merited by how the last one did, since only the Storm solo, I believe, had such low numbers.

Anole has a great and funny dynamic with Rockslide that once had a presence in the X-books and should again.
    Mercury has a history with X-23 that could be used to reinforce interesting stories.
    I personally don't like Northstar that much but maybe a writer could reinvent Marvel's first gay mutant.
    Rictor and Shatterstar can be used for melodrama that isn't heteronormative; stories can be told about queer people in an open relationship.
    Mystique can deal with the realities of loving another woman years after her partner has died.
    Daken is the blacksheep of the Claw family and it would be neat to see how his sexuality plays a part in his counter-normative/cultural worldview.
    Prodigy explores how manifesting powers and changes with those powers can impact sexuality. His development in Young Avengers was great so why hasn't the X-books done anything with it.
    Governor-General Howlett is an alt character so I'm not sure how much attention we want to give him.

This probably belongs in a Queer X-Character thread but I hope a bunch of these characters have roles to play in Uncanny.
    But you haven't listed out any reason why any of these guys are more compelling than a character like Quire, or Oya, or GoldBalls or Ziggy or any one of the plethora of little used characters in the X-Men stable. What makes you think there's any more interest in them, verses any of the others? New characters are a hard sell, almost impossible in an established franchise like X-Men. Very few would rather pay to read about Anole or Mercury rather than more established characters, and I expect that's why Marvel went the route they did with Iceman -- that and trying to make the o5 more diverse seeming.

And, judging by numbers, it appears they overestimated the level of interest in such a story, yet here he is, getting another solo book. It's certainly not merited by how the last one did, since only the Storm solo, I believe, had such low numbers.
    Iceman's individual issues didnt do well but it sold very well in trades which is why Marvel greenlighted its return

But you haven't listed out any reason why any of these guys are more compelling than a character like Quire, or Oya, or GoldBalls or Ziggy or any one of the plethora of little used characters in the X-Men stable. What makes you think there's any more interest in them, verses any of the others? New characters are a hard sell, almost impossible in an established franchise like X-Men. Very few would rather pay to read about Anole or Mercury rather than more established characters, and I expect that's why Marvel went the route they did with Iceman -- that and trying to make the o5 more diverse seeming.
    No one has access to the real numbers so I will let the existence of this new mini from the same writer as Iceman's solo speak for itself.

What I wrote about each character makes them more compelling to me. Yeah pushing new characters is hard. In a perfect world, Kitty, Storm, Rachel, and Magik would all be bi and some of the characters on that list should get pushed.

No one has access to the real numbers so I will let the existence of this new mini from the same writer as Iceman's solo speak for itself.

What I wrote about each character makes them more compelling to me. Yeah pushing new characters is hard. In a perfect world, Kitty, Storm, Rachel, and Magik would all be bi and some of the characters on that list should get pushed.
    This is a hotbed topic for some that I'm basically just playing devil's advocate on, here.

You're right, no one has the real numbers, only speculation.

In my opinion, the existence of the new book may have more to do with placation than interest -- a whole different topic -- but I guess we'll see how it does. I do think there's solid enough interest in him being a part of a team, though.

But none of what you wrote makes them compelling to me. /shrug See, readers are different in what they want to see. There's not a right or a wrong answer. As a business in it for profit, Marvel has to determine what makes money and what doesn't, then try to balance that with decent story telling.

In my personal head canon, Storm is bi, as are Kitty and Rachel. (I see Illyana as asexual or close to it.) One of my favorite speculative couples is Storm/Yukio, and I really wish Marvel had allowed Mystique and Destiny to be Nightcrawler's parents, rather than dragging in Azazel. My point is that we're more likely to see something along those lines being a success rather than pushing forward near non-entities in an overcrowded franchise. To push those newer characters is to risk shoving to the side some mainstays, which is a bad idea in today's market.

If they launch another kid book, then maybe a couple of these guys will get used. They should, but I don't have any high expectation that any book using newer character will be a success or boost the cast to prominence. I expect that's part of what this culling is about.

If Marvel would put a halt to new character creation in full and take maybe seven or eight from all the younger ones created and stick to them for awhile (maybe a decade or so of staying in a young title), then I think it could work to make them more of a known asset to the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    *loud ass laugh & witty banter throughout entire interview*

Jay: can we get some gay characters?

JDW: uhh ummmm. i-i don't...understand the QUESTION! N E X T
    Gah that was nuts. If asking if there's any gayness coming from their media outlet produces such an obvious dismantling of their common sense I bet they are amazed when to see actual Queers functioning in society.. ya know with all their Queerness

This is a hotbed topic for some that I'm basically just playing devil's advocate on, here.

You're right, no one has the real numbers, only speculation.

In my opinion, the existence of the new book may have more to do with placation than interest -- a whole different topic -- but I guess we'll see how it does. I do think there's solid enough interest in him being a part of a team, though.

But none of what you wrote makes them compelling to me. /shrug See, readers are different in what they want to see. There's not a right or a wrong answer. As a business in it for profit, Marvel has to determine what makes money and what doesn't, then try to balance that with decent story telling.

In my personal head canon, Storm is bi, as are Kitty and Rachel. (I see Illyana as asexual or close to it.) One of my favorite speculative couples is Storm/Yukio, and I really wish Marvel had allowed Mystique and Destiny to be Nightcrawler's parents, rather than dragging in Azazel. My point is that we're more likely to see something along those lines being a success rather than pushing forward near non-entities in an overcrowded franchise. To push those newer characters is to risk shoving to the side some mainstays, which is a bad idea in today's market.

If they launch another kid book, then maybe a couple of these guys will get used. They should, but I don't have any high expectation that any book using newer character will be a success or boost the cast to prominence. I expect that's part of what this culling is about.

If Marvel would put a halt to new character creation in full and take maybe seven or eight from all the younger ones created and stick to them for awhile (maybe a decade or so of staying in a young title), then I think it could work to make them more of a known asset to the franchise.
    I doubt Marvel would make a book if they were certain they would lose money on it for whatever reason. Regardless, the bottom line of a mega corporation is the least compelling argument to make or not make a book to me.

Yeah, readers are different. Since nothing I wrote was compelling to you, I'm sure you're used to having Marvel's opinion on what is compelling align with yours. That's great but like you said readers are different so it would be nice if Marvel threw queers a bone. Like I see Iceman as the bare minimum but even the existence of that book has to be constantly defended.

BANNED

I see Bishop, a black male, getting some attention, and as a black dude that doesn't fuss about having a representative alot (because gotta rep Jean! Lol), I'm fricking ready for it. It's about time.

Should see Iceman sorta pushed in the same way for the LGBT rep.

And Jean as the strong female character she should always have been allowed to be.

Let's go. Make X-Men Inclusive Again.

MXIA

Astonishing Member

All of those characters either have been interesting at one time or could be interesting with the right direction.

My favorite gay X-Character is Vivisector from X-Statix
    It's a shame Doop is the only surviving character of that group