Page 40 of 113 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    At this point, I'd be OK with the X-Men reverting to the school being a front or even ditching it altogether. The school as an actual institute of learning was a nice idea that fit thematically when the main notion driving the X-books was Morrison's depiction of mutants as a growing subculture. But it probably should have gone away for good in the aftermath of Messiah Complex. It's been a rather aimless, diluted concept since Schism, and hasn't been able to carry a book since Aaron's WatXM wrapped (and even then, it had to be a stealth-X-Kids book with Wolverine's name on it for that to work). Given that the current line editor thinks having actual students around (as opposed to, I guess, novice heroes or something) ages the cast, the current shake-up would be a good time to any to put it to rest.

My main worry would be that they'd ditch the younger characters along with the school concept.
    I kind of agree with you. I've enjoyed the school aspect, particularly for the New X-men cast, but at this point I think it could use a break. It's also partially why the world of mutants is seen as inflated with too many characters. Maybe the X-men can temporarily suspend the school activities and/or transfer the existing students to a different school, run by an alumnus. Keep the more prominent "students" such as the New X-men cast plus others like Idie, Evan, Quire etc as a trainee squad.

BANNED

At this point, I'd be OK with the X-Men reverting to the school being a front or even ditching it altogether. The school as an actual institute of learning was a nice idea that fit thematically when the main notion driving the X-books was Morrison's depiction of mutants as a growing subculture. But it probably should have gone away for good in the aftermath of Messiah Complex. It's been a rather aimless, diluted concept since Schism, and hasn't been able to carry a book since Aaron's WatXM wrapped (and even then, it had to be a stealth-X-Kids book with Wolverine's name on it for that to work). Given that the current line editor thinks having actual students around (as opposed to, I guess, novice heroes or something) ages the cast, the current shake-up would be a good time to any to put it to rest.

My main worry would be that they'd ditch the younger characters along with the school concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    I kind of agree with you. I've enjoyed the school aspect, particularly for the New X-men cast, but at this point I think it could use a break. It's also partially why the world of mutants is seen as inflated with too many characters. Maybe the X-men can temporarily suspend the school activities and/or transfer the existing students to a different school, run by an alumnus. Keep the more prominent "students" such as the New X-men cast plus others like Idie, Evan, Quire etc as a trainee squad.
    They need to separate the two...if anything for the safety of the children. The Xmen are a vigilante militia and not every student should be trained to fight....the idea is that they're there to learn to control their powers...not use them to fight/kill every threat that comes at the Xmen and die in the process. Separate the school...take it back to Westchester and have the Xmen build their own building in NYC if that's where they want to be based.

I think the school concept has worn itself out. It just doesn't mesh any longer, and yes, that's where the bulk of the glut of excess characters is coming from.

In short, because it would be financial suicide to age out the classic characters, there's not going to be any replacement by the younger generation. They'll just continue to stagnate.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    They need to separate the two...if anything for the safety of the children. The Xmen are a vigilante militia and not every student should be trained to fight....the idea is that they're there to learn to control their powers...not use them to fight/kill every threat that comes at the Xmen and die in the process. Separate the school...take it back to Westchester and have the Xmen build their own building in NYC if that's where they want to be based.
    Alternately, you'd think governments and anti-mutant groups would seize on the disconnect more than they do. "The X-Men claim to have these high values of working with humanity, but then their graduates join their militia. This is a domestic terrorist organization/cult that recruits and trains extremists!"
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

idk a lot of ppl are saying Surge, Hellion, Prodigy, and Mercury are definitely dying pls stop

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Cheung`s pic.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmbhp04H...d=n2d9qevm5h9m

I think he will draw interiors for some Uncanny issue.
    Glad he is back on X-Men.
    I like Cheung but I really enjoyed his first issue of Justice League and I was hoping he would alternate with Jimenez on that book more regularly. I'd love to have him on X-Men, mind you, but a nice semi-regular run on any book would be much better than the odd issue and cover here and there.

Cheung`s pic.

With 4 artists on rotation, he may not be needed. This could be for some other book

Mighty Member

If anything, given the state of mutantkind in the Marvel Universe, the school as a concept makes more sense than ever. The issue with it is that it requires the focus characters to age in order to be dramatically effective, and that violates the genre convention of "illusion of change." For Marvel to square the circle, they need to go back to a X-Men/Generation X-style split between the school concept and the mutant superhero militia concept.
    Last edited by FUBAR007; 08-14-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Cheung`s pic.

If it's for Uncanny, it's almost certainly a cover. JDW said on Xplain the X-Men that interiors will be Asrar on the first issue, then Silva, Cinar, and Perez will cycle through the remaining nine issues.

Re: the school. I like the idea of having a school, but I don't think it should be as closely associated with the X-Men as it has been in the past. They shouldn't be based in the same location, and there should be a qualified teaching staff. It should be a place where mutant children can learn to use their abilities as well as get a proper education, not as a X-Men recruitment farm. It shouldn't be the focus of the books but we can check in every once in a while (although a series of OGNs that focus on the school independent of the superhero genre could be fun) .

I addition to the search for Monet/Dani/Rictor/Karma/Bling, where the hell is Russell Dauterman???

oh hell yes. Get me an arc with Russell Dauterman. Or at least have Russell Dauterman and Olivier Coipel do variant covers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    oh hell yes. Get me an arc with Russell Dauterman. Or at least have Russell Dauterman and Olivier Coipel do variant covers!!!
    They should rotate on art once this book goes to a monthly and/or bimonthly schedule

I think he's busy doing Mark Millar's The Magicians or something

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    where the hell is Russell Dauterman???
    I know, right?!?! Uncanny NEEDS him!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    If it's for Uncanny, it's almost certainly a cover. JDW said on Xplain the X-Men that interiors will be Asrar on the first issue, then Silva, Cinar, and Perez will cycle through the remaining nine issues.

Re: the school. I like the idea of having a school, but I don't think it should be as closely associated with the X-Men as it has been in the past. They shouldn't be based in the same location, and there should be a qualified teaching staff. It should be a place where mutant children can learn to use their abilities as well as get a proper education, not as a X-Men recruitment farm. It shouldn't be the focus of the books but we can check in every once in a while (although a series of OGNs that focus on the school independent of the superhero genre could be fun) .
    I'm pretty sure I saw someone, I think Rosenberg, saying something like "Asrar, Silva, etc and a few surprises on the art", so there's gotta be a few more artists.