Page 77 of 113 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1688
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Ha. Now I know you can not be reasoned with...
    Or maybe Chris Claremont is an overrated writer whose stories are only good, but not great.

You know, like his DC counterpart, Marv Wolfman.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    HA! This is great. Thank you!

As an X-Men fan, I appreciate many writers, artists, and runs. Claremont's original run is one of, if not, the best. He made me fall in love with so many of the characters and presented some of the most interesting and memorable story lines.

I cannot honestly believe that anyone who claims they are an X-Men fan, cannot appreciate Claremont's original work and his contribution to X-Men history.
    Absolutely no one here has said that they don't appreciate Claremont's original work.

Ok, fine, I'll indulge you.

Claremont created Emma Frost. The Massachusetts Academy. The Hellions. The New Mutants. The rival squads. The colorfully diverse cast of precocious teenagers. Shan. Dani. Pierce. A blonde/blue eyed male mutant joining the bad guys at the beginning only to later become a core member of the team (see Cannonball). All of these are heavily involved in the early Academy X series. As the New X-Men progress, they literally reenact famous Claremont stories in their training missions and actual missions. The best story in the entire Academy/New X-Men run (President Prodigy future), is literally a riff off of Sunspot/Magma's future storyline. If you subtract all the Claremont elements from the Academy X/New X-Men, you have almost nothing remaining. If you haven't read all of Claremont's New Mutants and X-Men runs, you probably can't see it, sure, but it's true.
    Oof. Maybe stop hinging your arguments on the fact that "oh lol , you wouldn't understand cause you haven't read Claremont heheheh" because everyone arguing against your absurd claim has most likely read (at least) a major portion of Claremont's run. And damn, some of the stuff you listed STILL doesn't add up. For one thing, making a diverse cast isn't an invention of Claremont........using characters from another person doesn't mean that it's a rehash. And, as is so obviously clear, you didn't read my point that Academy X clearly makes homages and draws from Claremont's run. I've said that about ten times now. Unless the 11th time's the charm, Academy X clearly makes homages and draws from Claremont's run, while doing completely new stuff with it. Yes, the creative teams use Nimrod.....but they make it a neat plot with Forge and explain the inconsistencies, while setting him up to be one of the X-Men's most deadliest villains.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who thinks President Prodigy is the best arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Or maybe Chris Claremont is an overrated writer whose stories are only good, but not great.

Perez was the true responsable for NTT sucess for the most part, yes i mean it

BANNED

Wanna know the funny thing?

Academy X respects Claremont's work but doesn't recreate it and it isn't necessary for them to hinge on Claremont's works (other than using characters he created who, especially in the case of Emma Frost, he had nothing to do with making into the character they were when they appeared in Academy X) to tell the stories that they told.

And that's coming from someone who has read all of Claremont's Uncanny and New Mutants.

(and, oh yeah. Simonson's New Mutants is better.)
    Simonson ruined the New Mutants and then replaced them with her own bad creations.

BANNED

... If you haven't read all of Claremont's New Mutants and X-Men runs, you probably can't see it...
    Or conversely, if you have, that's all you can see and/or... can't see past.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Simonson ruined the New Mutants and then replaced them with her own bad creations.
    Simonson's best work was on Taki in that Inferno spin off, X-Terminators. Other than that, she should have just stayed an editor.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Or conversely, if you have, that's all you can see and/or... can't see past.
    I guess all the filmmakers, Marvel's editors and writers, cartoon and video makers can't really see past that either, because where are these Academy X spin offs if they're such amazingly original content. Surely there would be a long line of products made for consumption were that the case. Claremont's X-Men is basically all there is to see. Morrison made a lovely show of tearing that sandbox apart, and that's about all there is. Everything since has just been the rubble swirled around a bit.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Wolfman wrote Tomb of Dracula, just for that I will always love him lol. Also Crisis was just epic for me but yeah I can see why some people are not fan of his writing.

I think everyone pretty much agrees that Claremont's original run was well received and defined the X-men for a long time. His subsequent runs however, are in question.

Revolution had potential. The artists were amazing, but with the first X-men film on the horizon, many of the plots CC wove along with the WTF changes (hated Betsy's telekinesis & Kurt becoming a priest) that happened during the six month gap got swept under the rug so much of that run ended up being ignored.

X-treme X-men was hit or miss with many, but I believe it was more well received than Revolution. I agree with whomever said that CC's X-treme X-men was a nice alternative to Morrison's New X-men. Personally, I loved both their styles. Some of my favorite stories during that era are the Bogan arc, Prisoner of Fire, E is for Extinction, U-men, and Riot at the Mansion.

Reloaded seemed to also be hit or miss, and gave us good stories like The Fury arc, Arcade, Selene, XSE, etc. But it had it's arcs that weren't as good like Savage Land (Betsy and X-23 were amazing though. R'chel was an abomination), Grey Family Massacre, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Fair enougth, althougth most of that seems to fall more in "controversial" than "iconic" i do agreed that Dark Phoenix and DOFP aren't as great (still pretty good thougth), for me CC at his best was God Love, Man Kills and the Wolverine mini with Frank Miller.
    Yeah, of those listed that CC didn't do, the only one I actually enjoyed and appreciated was AOA.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Good Lord, no one on this thread is doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Absolutely no one here has said that they don't appreciate Claremont's original work.
    Well good! I can still have a Saturday night and not have to engage in arguments

Edit: Sunday night. Holiday weekennd, I’m out
    Last edited by Andru; 09-02-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Enough bickering, this has gotten way OT.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    ... From this, I think we can extrapolate- X-Men Red and Astonishing are cancelled after their first arcs, essentially serving as set-up/time-killing for Uncanny. ... The two series COULD continue, but I think it seems they're both aiming to deliver single stories.
    BleedingCool.com, Could All the X-Books End (For a Bit) in December When Uncanny X-Men Relaunches in January? (Mindless Speculation)
    ... In October, Marvel will publish Weapon X #24. Amazon has the current arc going to #26, which would be out in December.

In October, Marvel will publish X-Men Red #9. Amazon has the current arc going to #11, which would be out in December.

In October, Marvel will publish Astonishing X-Men #16. Amazon has the current arc going to #18, which would be out in December.

While a number of books such as Domino, Exiles, Iceman, and Weapon H could have arcs ending in December if they double ship one month — which they do. And Deadpool and X-23 have no Amazon arcs listed as collections past November’s issues…
    Maybe not that mindless after all, and Akiresu could've indeed called it, early on:

ShootTheBreezeComics.com, *NEWS FLASH* Marvel’s Weapon-X Ending Soon.
    According to Co-writer Fred Van Lente, Weapon-X will be ending fairly soon.

Speaking on this weekend’s War Rocket Ajax. Lente said “I do Weapon X for Marvel which is super fun, but that ends fairly soon.”...
    https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/stat...23145304825856
    Astonishing X-Men by Rosenberg & Land isn't listed as Volume 1. Looks like it's over with 18...
    So it is lookin' more likely everything will end in December, leaving only Uncanny & whatever comes after/as a result of Disassembled, in its wake. That would seem to make it at least feel more momentous, if it turns out to be true.

I'd be seriously surprised if Domino or X-23 wrapped in December; from all reports, both appear to be doing well and neither were solicited as minis (which the X-Office has been very good about lately).

It would also take some serious guts to narrow the mutant machine down to one title, even as a weekly, for one month, let alone almost three. I get that this is a huge weekly event book, meaning that retailers will need to order large numbers in advance and won't have an idea of actual sell-through until everything is almost over. But that's still a potential hit to revenue, because it's one book having to bring in the $$$ of a whole franchise line for more than two months. It being the only X-Book on the stands wouldn't guarantee that every X-Men fan would pick it up. There could be minis and tie-ins we haven't been told about yet, but I'm taking this with a grain of salt until we see the next couple batches of solits.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 09-04-2018 at 06:33 AM.