Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    What makes restoring Barry's original, Silver Age origin story and background difficult at this point is that the Post-FLASH REBIRTH (2009) interpretation is now deeply embedded in other media, including animation, live action TV, and live action cinema. If not for that consideration, it would be much easier to revert to the Silver Age origin.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Yep. Once something is used by the more popular mediums successfully, you will need more than a silver bullet or wooden stake to kill it off.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yep. Once something is used by the more popular mediums successfully, you will need more than a silver bullet or wooden stake to kill it off.
    That's why I'm always worried about not getting classic or near classic versions of characters being the first mainstream versions of characters in tv or film. If someone who has never heard of any of these characters watches Suicide Squad for the first time and loves that Joker then they would be pretty disappointed if they picked up a comic and he is nothing like that. Same goes for the current Superman.

We finally got a Wonder Woman movie but its heavily based on the New 52 origin. That's going to be stuck in the public mind that she's a demigod even if we get a movie down the road that does the clay origin. Building movies and other media off of things that feel temporary or too new feels wrong to me. Silver and Bronze Age origins and stories should be focused on and retooled because those have been proven to stand the test of time. But thats just my opinion.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    That's why I'm always worried about not getting classic or near classic versions of characters being the first mainstream versions of characters in tv or film. If someone who has never heard of any of these characters watches Suicide Squad for the first time and loves that Joker then they would be pretty disappointed if they picked up a comic and he is nothing like that. Same goes for the current Superman.

We finally got a Wonder Woman movie but its heavily based on the New 52 origin. That's going to be stuck in the public mind that she's a demigod even if we get a movie down the road that does the clay origin. Building movies and other media off of things that feel temporary or too new feels wrong to me. Silver and Bronze Age origins and stories should be focused on and retooled because those have been proven to stand the test of time. But thats just my opinion.
    The thing is not to worry about it. It's just the way things have always been once comics jump upward to the the other mediums. For example, the Batman that most people knew about when I was a toddler 50 years ago was a campy parody of the GA/SA version my father followed. The TV show annoyed him back then, but he has learned to go with the flow when it comes to adaptations. I have followed his example over the years myself. Just consider it a different universe and you can relax.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    What did Flashpoint cost Barry, though?
    Uh, his marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    What makes restoring Barry's original, Silver Age origin story and background difficult at this point is that the Post-FLASH REBIRTH (2009) interpretation is now deeply embedded in other media, including animation, live action TV, and live action cinema. If not for that consideration, it would be much easier to revert to the Silver Age origin.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Sort of different from this situation because this story was in the comics first, but this is why I hate when comic book adaptions depart heavily and noticeably from the source material. You wind up with synergy in the comics and it doesn’t tend to go away. People will always say “It’s an adaption. Another universe. It’s not changing the source material.” That’s right until it’s not. Like the crappy new Barry Allen origin, if it’s heavilly used in other media, they are far less likely to get rid of it in the comics, which is real unfortunate. Not just because the origin sucks and makes the character less unique, but also because a significant majority of people that watch the show and the movies don’t read the comics. And it’s severely underestimating the intelligence of the few that do by implying that they wouldn’t be able to understand something different from the onscreen versions.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The thing is not to worry about it. It's just the way things have always been once comics jump upward to the the other mediums. For example, the Batman that most people knew about when I was a toddler 50 years ago was a campy parody of the GA/SA version my father followed. The TV show annoyed him back then, but he has learned to go with the flow when it comes to adaptations. I have followed his example over the years myself. Just consider it a different universe and you can relax.
    I totally get that but DC and Marvel, Comics in general are different now. What happens in the media stay around and influence the comics to keep those changes all the while keeping that version in the collective consciousness of fans and the GA. It will be years before Barry's mom is back, that dark unnecessary retcon will stay there for a long time.

This is something that really bothers me because we get things like the DCEU and the current batch of animated movies which highlights everything wrong with DC and puts it in the limelight. Then people who get into DC will think the darker versions, the blood, death, "realism", etc. is what makes DC great when that isn't a part of it.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I totally get that but DC and Marvel, Comics in general are different now. What happens in the media stay around and influence the comics to keep those changes all the while keeping that version in the collective consciousness of fans and the GA. It will be years before Barry's mom is back, that dark unnecessary retcon will stay there for a long time.

This is something that really bothers me because we get things like the DCEU and the current batch of animated movies which highlights everything wrong with DC and puts it in the limelight. Then people who get into DC will think the darker versions, the blood, death, "realism", etc. is what makes DC great when that isn't a part of it.
    I can handle both approaches, so it's not a real concern for me. However, I completely understand those fans like yourself who prefer their comics without the darkness.

. . . This is something that really bothers me because we get things like the DCEU and the current batch of animated movies which highlights everything wrong with DC and puts it in the limelight. Then people who get into DC will think the darker versions, the blood, death, "realism", etc. is what makes DC great when that isn't a part of it.
    Just more of that "HOPE" stuff Geoffy Johns promised us was returning thanks to Rebirth.
    Tom King's Batman could easily be from old episodes of Punky Brewster or Strawberry Shortcake, and all the Metal and Doomsday Cluck stuff is definitely moving away from all the GrimDark vibe that was choking off the New52 (he typed sarcastically . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Just more of that "HOPE" stuff Geoffy Johns promised us was returning thanks to Rebirth.
    Tom King's Batman could easily be from old episodes of Punky Brewster or Strawberry Shortcake, and all the Metal and Doomsday Cluck stuff is definitely moving away from all the GrimDark vibe that was choking off the New52 (he typed sarcastically . . . )
    You know what I mean.

Dark stories are fine but when that's all you promote or do it becomes gradating especially when its with characters that are radically changed to be more dark.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Uh, his marriage?
    So? He's still with Iris.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Uh, his marriage?
    His marriage, his parents, his relationship with his nephew via his wife, his relationship with his grandson...

It's a toss-up on which book I loathed more: Flash: Rebirth by Johns or Flashpoint. Probably Flashpoint as it ruined -everything- and not just Flash family. driving me for a year over to Marvel comics (until Marvel likewise blew it... )

As much as I prefer Rebirth to what was before (DC52coughcough) am still mightly missing Superman's living human parents, Krypto, Barry's marriage to Iris, Wally's marriage to Linda,

....and when are they ever going to tell me what happened to Wally's dog?! I've been waiting forever.

But to answer the poster's question.... Probably when they run out of every other idea that is tied to what Flashpoint wrought. Then we might see his parents magically come alive again as with Superman's Krypton dad.

DC darkness: I prefer my comics like chocolate chip ice cream.... Lots of vanilla lightness with just a few nuggets of darkness.
    Last edited by Kyer; 08-12-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

You know what I mean.

Dark stories are fine but when that's all you promote or do it becomes gradating especially when its with characters that are radically changed to be more dark.
    Unfortunately, those seem to be the type of stories that DC has generally been trying to shove down our throats for at least the past decade (even before the Gnu52).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Unfortunately, those seem to be the type of stories that DC has generally been trying to shove down our throats for at least the past decade (even before the Gnu52).
    It's been the same heads over at DC which is the problem.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    So? He's still with Iris.
    He’s with her NOW and only recently got with her. But Flashpoint wiped out the years’ worth of a life they had together. They had memories and adventures as a married couple that Barry no longer remembers, even if Iris might.

He’s with her NOW and only recently got with her. But Flashpoint wiped out the years’ worth of a life they had together. They had memories and adventures as a married couple that Barry no longer remembers, even if Iris might.
    But let's not blame Barry for this. BLAME THE PEOPLE AT DC WHO DECIDED TO WIPE OUT ALL THE PREVIOUS MARRIAGES / PREVIOUS HISTORIES for the New52. (Barry's just the scapegoat thanks to Geoff Johns' writing.)