Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I should add that even though Deadpool has been very disappointing, Domino by Gail Simone and Astonishing X-Men under Rosenberg have been incredibly enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Using nostalgia, even for the uncertain concept of 'anti-nostalgia' contains pitfalls. In general I trust Marvel to avoid those pitfalls, but for me personally I groan inwardly and cringe a little when I see Gambit and Rogue or MJ being pushed in marketing. It says to me that the people that were reading comics just when I was abandoning them are being aimed at.
    As someone who's said on numerous occasions that nostalgia is legitimately dangerous, I will note that Kelly Thompson has made me care about Rogue and Gambit for the first time in my life.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I freshly ended my monthly buying.
    I am curious about things but it's all trades from here.
    Supporting even B/C list titles monthly means nothing since they are just going to pull this cancel/reboot schtick.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    But you seem to have a grudge against Marvel with these old dried up rehashed characters created in the 60's and 70's. Time for Marvel to cleanse them out of publication and see how that works out.
    I think the grudge comes from the push back to anyone new. Be it legacy (Miles) or someone newly created (Mosaic) or someone FINALLY getting a shot (Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Prowler, Solo).

No one takes issue with Thor, Iron Man, FF, Hulk, X-Men, Cap America Steve Rodgers, Peter Parker, Punisher or Moon Knight having books or even struggling in sales.

Folks can have civil conversations about those books, discuss actual CONTENT in said books, encourage others to read said books, be ALLOWED to say they are not interest in the books and not be lectured about it or trade wait for said books.

As it SHOULD BE WITH EVERY BOOK.

Everyone else-its World War 3 with reinforcements coming from those who don't read the books. With no amount of logic being used.

America can't hurt a comic book stores sales if her book is NEVER ordered.
    If Tony Stark's book leaves 25 unsold copies and Moon Girl leave 2-whose hurting business???
    Ms Marvel trades outsell Punisher on Amazon-how is she a failure?
    If I don't have to justify spinoffs for movie guys like Dr Strange. I am not going to do it for Black Panther or GOTG or Carol.

I think the point Tiamatty is saying-it's like Marvel telling fans like him to leave-the fans who endured all that backlash-thanks for nothing. And despite what some think-those fans DO spend money and it's going to the competition not named DC-who has alienated MANY. Then when Lion Forge, Scout, IDW, Image & Valiant are beating up books like Black Panther, Iron Man & FF-folks wonder why. Remember those fans you chased off? They found new interests. Instead of harassing you to pander to them.

The issue is where is the balance and not only that the RESPECT for both sides.
    When do we go back to THIS-read what you want to READ?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think the point Tiamatty is saying-it's like Marvel telling fans like him to leave-the fans who endured all that backlash-thanks for nothing. And despite what some think-those fans DO spend money and it's going to the competition not named DC-who has alienated MANY. Then when Lion Forge, Scout, IDW, Image & Valiant are beating up books like Black Panther, Iron Man & FF-folks wonder why. Remember those fans you chased off? They found new interests. Instead of harassing you to pander to them.
    Actually, my point was just that I don't care about the classic characters, and the stuff that's exciting me is the stuff that's been going on for the past 3 or 4 years. The slow increase in diversity among creators, the greater willingness to do risky books, the willingness to support formats other than floppies.

I was a bit stunned that ASM #1 sold 289,000, and Cap #1 sold 167,000. This was just a Fresh Start, not a major event like Civil War. Why the huge numbers?

I think for many people the personal "Golden age" is when you started reading comics and the characters linked to that. I started in late 2014.

For me the characters I care about from Marvel are: Gwen Stacy/Spider-Woman from Earth-65, Cindy Moon, Jessica Drew, The Vision family, the Renew your Vows cast, Kamala Khan, Squirrel Girl, Gwen Poole, and Black Bolt (many due to the recent fantastic Black Bolt series with the writer making him more human and I hope his own character journey and humility remains).
    I also generally like: the Mighty Thor/Jane, Captain America/Sam, Spider-man/(both Peter and Miles), The Venom symbiote (note not so much Eddie as the character development and journey that the symbiote character has undertaken and i always fear will be destroyed), Singularity from A-Force, and a few others also.

With this 'Fresh Start' many of whom I care about are missing or will be back later in some form.

I do like how Champions has been that while I miss Cyclops from the team (didn't care much about him before but the past Champions writer did a great job which of course being that all these characters are fictional who we love and don't like shifts per writer) plus other possible characters like Red Locus just disappeared the new character is likable plus the story is engaging and I'm liking to how the characters are been written thus far by the new writer and the art looks great.

Kamala continues as normal and fun with a wonderful cast.

I have hopes and fears for how Gwen Poole will be presented in the upcoming WCA as the only writer thus far who did a wonderful job with her was her main series writer. Other writers presentations of her had not been enjoyable to read lack the character development and humility of hers and how she transformed from least responsible to one of the most selfless characters in her series. I love psychological character journey books thus why I loved The Visions, Black Bolt, and Gwenpool series.

I have high hopes for Gwen Stacy/Spider-Woman/Spider-Gwen/Ghost-Spider's new writer and artist team with the series next vol coming very soon.

The Venom series art and writing has me on edge in the great ways.

Marvel Rising has been fun (both comics version 616 and the shorts presented recently of a new animated Earth and characters there) though I dislike the way Marvel is handling the numbering and issue organization of it.

Squirrel Girl continues to be fun, funny (love those bottom comments by the writer) but also at times emotional and cleverly written.

That's what I'm pulling thus far but I hope other new series or new writers might interest me in past or newly made characters in some form.