Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The New Number One Relaunch - Do You Like It?

I have been pleasantly surprised by how the new relaunch has started with new writers at the helm. I was not enamoured by all the destruction of the MU, the new reality, and the way the classic characters were treated. It left me disappointed, especially as Legacy took 12 months to deliver the return of the classic characters. But that’s all water under the bridge.

What we have in this relaunch has been nothing but spectacular. The psychological Hulk and Sentry; the revelation of MJ and what happened to Spidey with the original iso-generator; Steve Rogers dilemma; Captain Marvels return to her beginnings; Thor’s reconnecting with Asgard; Iron Man’s game player; Punisher and Zemo; the return of the FF. I have to say, these series have taken me out of my tiredness about Marvel, because it brings the characters back to their basics. Why they came to be who they are?

Anybody else feel a difference is happening?
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-10-2018 at 07:47 PM.

I'm getting Tony Stark: Iron Man, The Avengers, Doctor Strange and The Punisher and I'm enjoying them. Slott is starting out really good with Tony. Really digging Schiti's art. The art alone from Doctor Strange is worth it and Waid's writing has been good. The Punisher has been the best and most fun book since Rosenberg has taken over. I expect nothing less, but the same as he will continue with Frank on the restart. The Avengers has been good, but I don't think Aaron got Tony's character down yet. Although I can't wait for issue #6 to see what Tony does with his new GodKiller II armor he has.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 08-11-2018 at 01:25 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

All the relaunches that I've read have been excellent, pretty much across the board.

Amazing Spider-Man, Immortal Hulk, Doctor Strange, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, X-23, Venom, Avengers, Fantastic Four - all really strong so far.

The only one that has been a bit flat for me is Deadpool. Not bad, just so-so. Big thumbs up to everything else, though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Anybody else feel a difference is happening?
    Oh that folks actually grew up and took time to read a book versus attacking it based on who is on the cover?

Amazing what happens. Folks discover a book is more than identity politics. It's actually worth reading.

Yall enjoy your books.

Very little has actually changed for me. I like that more women and POC are getting to write bigger titles. Coates on Captain America is a big deal, they've got women and POC doing all sorts of annuals (like Tini Howard doing the Captain America Annual, or Saladin Ahmed doing the Amazing Spider-Man Annual), and they've even got Nnedi Okorafor doing a Shuri ongoing. And they're getting better at supporting titles that do well outside the direct market, which is great to see.

But none of that is what you're actually talking about. I still couldn't care less about most of the old characters. I'm only reading Captain America to see what Coates does with the title. I like seeing new voices getting to tell stories, and I like seeing new characters getting to experience things. I can't give a damn about Peter Parker or Tony Stark, because I have read their stories. They've had over 5 decades of stories. I want fresher **** than that. So the "back to basics" stuff means absolutely nothing to me. I am vastly more invested in Kelly Thompson's WCA than Aaron's Avengers. Jeremy Whitley's Unstoppable Wasp is more compelling to me than Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man. So the stuff that's making me happy is the stuff that's only been going on in the time other people have been unhappy.

Astonishing Member

It would be great to see all the characters from the 60's officially ride off to the sunset and be replaced with all brand new characters. Then it would be amusing to see the entire Marvel comic division fold after even more disastrous sales. Hope it happens soon.

I thought that we were being told they weren't going to keep doing these stupid #1 relaunches.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It would be great to see all the characters from the 60's officially ride off to the sunset and be replaced with all brand new characters. Then it would be amusing to see the entire Marvel comic division fold after even more disastrous sales. Hope it happens soon.
    You know, if you don't like Marvel, it's entirely fine to just not read it. Wishing for it to shut down is just idiotically petty.

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    I thought that we were being told they weren't going to keep doing these stupid #1 relaunches.
    We all know that didn’t work. Legacy numbering at Marvel is dead. I will be surprised if it hangs around for long at DC too. The only way we will see it is underneath lower numbers which is an adequate compromise.

I have to say I am somewhat underwhelmed by the relaunches. For a start I am not picking up many of them, and those that I am I probably won’t be continuing with. For example MJ is not a character I care about. The nostalgia machine is churning out things I have no nostalgia for. The time dial has been set to other people’s sweet spot, and in general nostalgia rarely creates great work.

I am too old to have any attachment to Rouge and Gambit. I appreciate the return on Jean but even that reminds me that the Busiek inspired return was poorly judged and that the O5 shouldn’t have been reformed back then.

Give me something that uses canon in interesting ways. That includes interesting legacy characters or fresh takes on old concepts, but not this.

The real problem with nostalgia is that not everyone is nostalgic about the same things, so the audience is automatically limited. Locking onto a specific audience is how Marvel ended up in administration and if they are not careful they could loose the very audience they think they are aiming at.

Deadpool has not been good at all since the relaunch and that's my biggest disappointment. I put issue #3 BACK on the shelf when I went to get it the other day. First time I'd done that with a Deadpool book.. ever I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    You know, if you don't like Marvel, it's entirely fine to just not read it. Wishing for it to shut down is just idiotically petty.
    Man, you just missed the point of his post entirely. He's saying that getting rid of the "classic" characters will lead to disastrous sales, which we have already seen proof of.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

This is the most Marvel that I have read in years and I am really enjoying my books right now! Venom is my title of the year, I’m reading the Hulk for the first time ever and it’s fantastic, Amazing Spider-Man is off to a VERY strong and fun start, The Fantastic Four are back.......I don’t remember the last time I’ve had this much fun reading comics.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Yeah, that's not cool.

Ultimate Member

I'm really enjoying Fresh Start. All the books I've picked up have been good.

The only ones I don't really like is DEADPOOL. It's been a bit dull and try hardy.