Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default Write the speech that Superman would have given before the Senate in BvS

In the lead up to Dawn of Justice, I was eager to hear Superman give his side and use inspiring words to justify his noble mission. While I enjoyed the movie, I always felt it could have been made even better for me and movie critics/audiences had he had the opportunity to use his wisdom and charisma to create empathy and understanding among his critics and skeptics.

So, what do you think he would have said? I think we all know the spirit he would have said, but I think it would be cool if posters gave a shot at actually writing the complete speech itself. I'll probably give it a go after others have a turn.

(This is also something I've always wanted to ask Snyder/Cavill)

I totally agree with the idea. I think that had he been able to speak, while he may not have totally won everyone over, he at least would have gotten more support, both in-universe and out. I don't think my writing skills are up to the ability to write that scene. It would be very difficult to write the thing that Superman needed to say without accidentally writing a bunch of bland platitudes, I think. His speech must be spontaneous and heartfelt, but still well-reasoned and logical. It must be compassionate above all, and showcase his concern for the vulnerable and marginalized.

In actual fact of course, the fact that he never gets to say anything, nor does anyone else, is an important turning point for the movie. It's the triumph of brutality and cruelty over reason and diplomacy, and that's what makes Superman really lose hope. I wouldn't change the movie to include a speech, even if I might like to know how the trial would've played out differently, because it'd totally change the direction of the story.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

Senators,

For the past few months there has been all sorts of talk about me. About what my role should be. What has been lacking in all that talk has been a simple thing- me. There are people championing what they see as my cause and people ascribing sinister motives to everything I do. But with one exception, none of these people has even spoken to me or tried to ask me about my goals and motives. I thank you for at least taking the time to ask the only expert on all of that … me, when trying to make your decision.

Some see me as a divine being or a demonic one. I'm neither. I'm a man just like all of you. Maybe one with some unusual talents and a different geneology, but at the core I'm as much a product of American culture as anyone in this room.

The one thing everyone oi this room shares is a desire to make something of their life and their talent. So far that is all I have tried to do. My actions may not always have been perfect and I am here to discuss how I can do a better job. But the one thing that needs to be clear at the outset is that I am here and I'm not going to stand on the sidelines when I see people suffering. I've done that once in my life and it was a mistake I learned not to make again.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think it could have probably worked by taking the JMS speech from the comics (Earth One in this case) like how Civil War took that JMS speech a few months later, incidentally.

But if we're talking to satisfy me as a viewer and not a general audience, then he would have put on a pensive grimace and whipped out an acapella "Man in the Mirror."

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I can't picture Cavill's Superman giving a long speech, it doesn't seems his kind of thing.

Astonishing Member

Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I really wanted Superman to give an speech to the world after his return in Justice League. Something truly inspirational and epic.

We could still get that in a solo Superman sequel. I really think Henry's Superman needs to speak to the world and to tell them he's happy to be back and what his mission and deepest wishes for the whole world are.

I think Superman 4 had a pretty good speech that felt very in character. Something like that but better. Not too short but not too long. Something honest, simple but deep, loving and wise. And then the people give a big applause and we see them tear up like in BvS but from joy and hope.

''And there will be peace. There will be peace when the people of the world, want it so badly, that their governments will have no choice but to give it to them. I just wish you could all see the Earth the way that I see it. Because when you really look at it, it's just one world."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I totally agree with the idea. I think that had he been able to speak, while he may not have totally won everyone over, he at least would have gotten more support, both in-universe and out. I don't think my writing skills are up to the ability to write that scene. It would be very difficult to write the thing that Superman needed to say without accidentally writing a bunch of bland platitudes, I think. His speech must be spontaneous and heartfelt, but still well-reasoned and logical. It must be compassionate above all, and showcase his concern for the vulnerable and marginalized.

In actual fact of course, the fact that he never gets to say anything, nor does anyone else, is an important turning point for the movie. It's the triumph of brutality and cruelty over reason and diplomacy, and that's what makes Superman really lose hope. I wouldn't change the movie to include a speech, even if I might like to know how the trial would've played out differently, because it'd totally change the direction of the story.
    Yeah that's a good point. It makes it more stark, jarring, and thematically impactful to have the bomb go off before any kind of reasoned discourse can be had. But I wonder if the tragedy would be compounded by him being able to convince the immediate people in the room, at least somewhat, only to have them blow up and the rest of the world be oblivious to what he had said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Senators,

For the past few months there has been all sorts of talk about me. About what my role should be. What has been lacking in all that talk has been a simple thing- me. There are people championing what they see as my cause and people ascribing sinister motives to everything I do. But with one exception, none of these people has even spoken to me or tried to ask me about my goals and motives. I thank you for at least taking the time to ask the only expert on all of that … me, when trying to make your decision.

Some see me as a divine being or a demonic one. I'm neither. I'm a man just like all of you. Maybe one with some unusual talents and a different geneology, but at the core I'm as much a product of American culture as anyone in this room.

The one thing everyone oi this room shares is a desire to make something of their life and their talent. So far that is all I have tried to do. My actions may not always have been perfect and I am here to discuss how I can do a better job. But the one thing that needs to be clear at the outset is that I am here and I'm not going to stand on the sidelines when I see people suffering. I've done that once in my life and it was a mistake I learned not to make again.
    I like it! Especially the last bit harkening back to MOS. And it's a great point that nobody really asked him.

In this day and age of empty rhetoric coming both from those championing decency and those who reject any form of it, the only way for Superman to leave a mark would be to adapt Don Bastiano's speech before his death by the guillotine in front of the populace of Rome in 1809. Something like this:

"And you, you throng of poltroon sheep people, eh, always ready to kneel down, to bow your heads before the mighty, kneel down now! And bow your heads before a man who's never bowed his own, except before this thingumajig here! Kneel down, come on! And make the sign of the cross! Aoh! And remember that even our Lord Jesus Christ died an ignoble death. On the gallows, hah hah, which then became the symbol of salvation. Kneel down, all of you! And make the sign! Come on! And now, I too can forgive the ones who did me harm. In primis, Batman, who sees himself as the owner of the Sky. In secundis, Lex Luthor, who sees himself as the owner of the Earth. And lastly, the Chairwoman, here, who sees herself as the owner of my Destiny. But most importantly, I can forgive you, human race, WHO OWN F**K ALL!"
    Last edited by Powertool; 08-14-2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: keep it PG

Senators,

This speech is perfect.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

BANNED

Dear Senators, Dear America:
    I will not waste your time with long and tiresome speeches. I will be short, direct and formost, straight and honest... As i was taught to be.
    I stand before you and i am looking at you, eye to eye and i know that your sight is much more accurate than my optic abilities... and i say you this...
    I may not be human, i may not be given birth from a human...
    But i feel like a human, i was loved by three incredible humans... And God be my witness, i do love them back...
    I love humans... I love this Earth...
    Before you proceed to make any conclusions, i besiege you to consider this...
    You are as much as alien to me as i am to you. The difference is that i would gladly give my life to you... the aliens
    Thank you for giving me this chance to speak.
    Superman, Kal El of Krypton and Earth.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 08-19-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Senators,

I like it. I can picture him saying that. Had he said that just before the explosion, it might have made a huge difference, made people feel that someone is targeting him to make him look bad or even to kill him. It might have made him look and feel like there are on-screen reasons why he is so popular with so many, good reasons.

I like it even better than the Captain America speech quoted below. Coming from Cap, I assume it's in a good cause. But I can easily imagine some KKK type person saying exactly the same words to defend some archaic bigotry while your Superman speech never implies that the will of the people is irrelevant if he thinks another way.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

"Members of the Committee,

I stand before you today to discuss an important matter. It turns out I need your help. I know that may strike you as odd -- seeing as though we're here today to discuss my actions from a few weeks ago. However, a much more pressing topic deserves your full attention. I need your help to get me out of this movie. It will ruin the DC Cinematic Universe. So please, issue an immediate cease and desist on the production of this film if you have any fondness for my character.

Thanks."

"Well...I believe in truth. But I'm also a big fan of justice" .

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I like it. I can picture him saying that. Had he said that just before the explosion, it might have made a huge difference, made people feel that someone is targeting him to make him look bad or even to kill him. It might have made him look and feel like there are on-screen reasons why he is so popular with so many, good reasons.

I like it even better than the Captain America speech quoted below. Coming from Cap, I assume it's in a good cause. But I can easily imagine some KKK type person saying exactly the same words to defend some archaic bigotry while your Superman speech never implies that the will of the people is irrelevant if he thinks another way.
    I thought the same thing. When the moral is considered a good one, that kind of "stand your ground no matter what" sounds great, but it could easily be abused.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    "Members of the Committee,

I stand before you today to discuss an important matter. It turns out I need your help. I know that may strike you as odd -- seeing as though we're here today to discuss my actions from a few weeks ago. However, a much more pressing topic deserves your full attention. I need your help to get me out of this movie. It will ruin the DC Cinematic Universe. So please, issue an immediate cease and desist on the production of this film if you have any fondness for my character.

Thanks."
    Boooo.