Default Wonder Woman Movie Part 2

Since larger, older threads contributed to the forum issues of the past few weeks, I'm rebooting this one, so please start anew!! This combines the original 'Spoiler' (I think we're past spoiling!) and 'Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman' threads.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Since larger, older threads contributed to the forum issues of the past few weeks, I'm rebooting this one, so please start anew!! This combines the original 'Spoiler' (I think we're past spoiling!) and 'Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman' threads.
    I think we've probably repeated ourselves endlessly already.

I loved the movie. My one nitpick was that she couldn't fly by the end due to having to stay in continuity with BvS.

I loved the setting. I get why they went with WWI instead of II to avoid the uninitiated claiming it was a ripoff of Captain America. I think it worked beautifully which is not to claim no flaws but I think it did a great job of keeping the spirit of WW while giving a partly new story.

I'm not as crazy about the 2nd one being set in the 1980s and, ironically, it's because the 1980s are within living adult memory for me and I don't see the 80s as an era that fascinates me. Now WW in the 1950s with all that was going on then or better the 1960s (although the latter is within living memory) could be really interesting. Unfortunately, part of what would make it interesting would be if they could break from future continuity and let her become publicly known sooner.
    Power with Girl is better.

I'm looking forward to WW84 and I love me some 80's but I saw a comment on another forum where someone said did WB missed the boat for a great marketing name for Wonder Woman 2 if set in World War II as WW2?

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I'm looking forward to WW84 and I love me some 80's but I saw a comment on another forum where someone said did WB missed the boat for a great marketing name for Wonder Woman 2 if set in World War II as WW2?
    True, It would have been amazing

Hey! This is about the 2017 movie, not the 2019 one!

One thing I just realised when thinking about Chief/Napi and Eugene Brave Rock, and my hope that he will appear in the next movie, is that his role will be hard to reprise. Napi is an inverted Magical Negro (TVTropes link). He isn't there to help Diana become a better person or feel better about herself, and his tale is fundamentally unsettling for her worldview. But it is told not because he thinks Diana needs to hear it, but because she asks, and it is told entirely from his point of view. The tale does play a role in Diana's coming of age story, but it is just one of several interlocking pieces that Diana integrates over time.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Hey! This is about the 2017 movie, not the 2019 one!

One thing I just realised when thinking about Chief/Napi and Eugene Brave Rock, and my hope that he will appear in the next movie, is that his role will be hard to reprise. Napi is an inverted Magical Negro (TVTropes link). He isn't there to help Diana become a better person or feel better about herself, and his tale is fundamentally unsettling for her worldview. But it is told not because he thinks Diana needs to hear it, but because she asks, and it is told entirely from his point of view. The tale does play a role in Diana's coming of age story, but it is just one of several interlocking pieces that Diana integrates over time.
    I strongly disagree with this assesment.

He was absolutely there to help Diana become a better person, or at least to understand humanity better and discover that she loves them. All the Oddfellows served this purpose in the plot.

She learned not to judge people at face value - Sami, Charlie and Napi were all very different than what she initially assumed.

He was absolutely there to help Diana become a better person, or at least to understand humanity better and discover that she loves them. All the Oddfellows served this purpose in the plot.

She learned not to judge people at face value - Sami, Charlie and Napi were all very different than what she initially assumed.
    I agree... they also cut a very important scene that demonstrates this lesson

at 1:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpAHqpv4Mc0

(paraphrasing)
    Chief, to Diana: "You'll want to walk behind me."
    Diana: "And why is that?"
    [Chief tosses liquor bottle ahead, a land mine goes off]
    Steve: "That's why."

Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow.
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 08-28-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Yeah, he and the rest of the Oddfellows all taught Diana lessons; I even wrote a long article about it some time ago:

One of the more impressive things story-telling wise in Wonder Woman the movie was the handling of Steve and the Oddfellows. While the Oddfellows had relatively little screentime, there is a lot of story in them, and I can recommend a rewatch of the movie with a focus on them only; especially Bremner's silent portrayal of Charlie in the background is very expressive.

First factor…
    But this is a matter of how things are done. Chief's role in the meta-narrative is of course to teach something to Diana, but his presence in-story is there to smuggle the team into German-held territory and because he is Steve Trevor's friend. So he has an objective in-story reason to be where he is. He also doesn't magically "see" what Diana needs to know, but simply answers her questions and provides an example later on. Last, he only provides one or two of the pieces that Diana needs to learn; the rest are provided by Steve, Charlie, Etta, and Sameer, and it is her job to integrate those lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I agree... they also cut a very important scene that demonstrates this lesson

at 1:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpAHqpv4Mc0

(paraphrasing)
    Chief, to Diana: "You'll want to walk behind me."
    Diana: "And why is that?"
    [Chief tosses liquor bottle ahead, a land mine goes off]
    Steve: "That's why."

Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow.
    I'm just happy that scene was cut, because it'd have broken the buildup to the No Man's Land scene. The lesson on following or leading was arguably made in the end as well, when Diana watches from the tower how Steve and the Oddfellows pushes on with their sabotage mission after Diana has killed Ludendorff.

Every Wonder Woman power move from all three movies... twelve minutes of awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvJrnBU_7ow

I'm just happy that scene was cut, because it'd have broken the buildup to the No Man's Land scene. The lesson on following or leading was arguably made in the end as well, when Diana watches from the tower how Steve and the Oddfellows pushes on with their sabotage mission after Diana has killed Ludendorff.
    Totally agree about the build up. It didn't work. But it was a good example of Chief's Ozian lesson to Dorot... I mean Diana.

HAAAAAA!! This is funny. Superman and Wonder Woman headbutt each other for, like, a minute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=939v5XiPuSI
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 08-28-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Not sure if this has been linked here before, Youtuber Matt Easton ("Schola Gladiatoria") discussing Wonder Woman's sword in the movie from a historical design standpoint:

Wonder Woman's Sword 'God Killer': TV & Movie Weapon Review

It led to some further discussion:

Wonder Woman's Sword 'God Killer' - How it could be improved (Schola Gladiatoria)

How big were classical era swords (Shadiversity)

Classical Era Sword Lengths (Schola Gladiatoria)

The real meat is in the first two videos; but the last one also has discusses a real possible historical inspiration for the design of the Godkiller.

Patty Jenkins discusses the Beach Battle: its purpose in the movie, what went into it, how she approached it, and so on.

«Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Two more recent videos from that account: Modern World and Crafting the Wonder.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])