Page 214 of 440 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224264314 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 6590

Once again, Marston was ahead of his time when he showed that different Amazons had different skill sets:

RCO012_1583411642.jpg

RCO013_1583411642.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Once again, Marston was ahead of his time when he showed that different Amazons had different skill sets:

RCO012_1583411642.jpg

RCO013_1583411642.jpg
    In a way it's basic world building. You don't have an entire society where everyone actually has the same skills and knowledge. So having subsets of Amazons with different skills and powers makes sense.

Retired

The funny thing is that the ancient Greeks reported the Amazons as wearing pants--which was weird to those Greeks because they themselves wore skirts--but the reason the Amazons wore pants was because they rode horses. Horses loom large in their legend--thus names like Hippolyte and Melanippe. Wonder Woman's culottes probably come close to what they wore. Yet this progressive style of the Amazons is completely abandoned by modern designers.

Ooh. Got another....

They are not vambraces, gauntlets, or bracers ( look 'em up!��)
    They are bracelets, and they are an important religious symbol akin to important religious iconography of the major religions, that should be worn by all Amazons. That they also are used in deflection of projectiles is secondary.

RCO012_1583411642.jpg

RCO013_1583411642.jpg
    Whatever became of “two-ton grease heap” Fatsis, I wonder..?

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There is no mob.

The extreme defense of WW1984 and dismissal of its criticisms have revealed some pretty frightening things about certain members of the WW fandom.
    Funny how perspective is everything.
    To me (and many others) the insistence [from a vocal internet minority] in making a mockery out of the very serious real-life issue of rape by calling a ridiculous, harmless movie trope (that nobody complained about when Tom Hanks, Zac Efron or Lindsay Lohan embodied it) "rape" revealed some pretty frightening/disturbing things about certain members of the WW fandom.

None of this stuff whatever side you're on informs much of anything about a person. Neither side is frightening or disturbing, its all hyperbole. All it speaks to is that some people don't care about the completely fantastical Steve subplot because its so unrealistic and just fiction, its not frightening and does not mean that they support rape. Nor is it frightening that for some people it was uncomfortable and not enjoyable. That's just as valid a point of view, as each person's enjoyment of a product is their own. If an aspect takes them out of it for whatever reason, this case a moral issue for them, that's perfectly understandable and not disturbing. Problem is the two sides begin to argue and all of a sudden shade about personal character starts to show up.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Funny how perspective is everything.
    To me (and many others) the insistence [from a vocal internet minority] in making a mockery out of the very serious real-life issue of rape by calling a ridiculous, harmless movie trope (that nobody complained about when Tom Hanks, Zac Efron or Lindsay Lohan embodied it) "rape" revealed some pretty frightening/disturbing things about certain members of the WW fandom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    None of this stuff whatever side you're on informs much of anything about a person. Neither side is frightening or disturbing, its all hyperbole. All it speaks to is that some people don't care about the completely fantastical Steve subplot because its so unrealistic and just fiction, its not frightening and does not mean that they support rape. Nor is it frightening that for some people it was uncomfortable and not enjoyable. That's just as valid a point of view, as each person's enjoyment of a product is their own. If an aspect takes them out of it for whatever reason, this case a moral issue for them, that's perfectly understandable and not disturbing. Problem is the two sides begin to argue and all of a sudden shade about personal character starts to show up.
    Yeah, I think the body swap stuff is creepy and shouldn't have been in the movie at all. It deserves to be called out, but within reason. It's impossible for such a thing to happen in real life, so reading problematic qualities in other posters just because they can roll with it seems OTT.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    In a way it's basic world building. You don't have an entire society where everyone actually has the same skills and knowledge. So having subsets of Amazons with different skills and powers makes sense.
    And it makes the Amazons feel like individuals and not a collection of interchangeable characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The funny thing is that the ancient Greeks reported the Amazons as wearing pants--which was weird to those Greeks because they themselves wore skirts--but the reason the Amazons wore pants was because they rode horses. Horses loom large in their legend--thus names like Hippolyte and Melanippe. Wonder Woman's culottes probably come close to what they wore. Yet this progressive style of the Amazons is completely abandoned by modern designers.
    Thanks for this. I knew about their connection to horses, I didn't know about the pants thing. I guess Hippolyta's pants in Rebirth had some basis and not just a modern day design element.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    Whatever became of “two-ton grease heap” Fatsis, I wonder..?
    Off in limbo land, probably.

Thanks for this. I knew about their connection to horses, I didn't know about the pants thing. I guess Hippolyta's pants in Rebirth had some basis and not just a modern day design element.
    Yeah pants aren't as new of an idea as people sometimes think. Certain ancient cultures lacked them... but not all of them.

I'm so sick and tired of people treating Diana as like a slightly better then average amazon. She's just doing stuff that Deathstroke could do in his sleep, its a total fall from grace honestly. We already have the role of "better than average amazon" flled by Artemis, do we need to drag the rest of the wonder fam down to her level? And yes I'm complaining about power levels again, its a comic book, I wanna see the powerful lady do the powerful things; But lifting cars, running kind of fast, not flying, being kind of weak, and not that strong.... bores me, heck its why I stopped my subscriptions all together.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

This is why I liked Martson's version. Diana could have lost. This is why I dislike her being the only kid or her being a demi goddess. It doesn't give her the fair fight. I like the idea of her not growing up alone. It gives the whole she is the queen's daughter but she also doesn't have any special attention that makes it seem she is too spoiled

Diana with curly hair > Diana with straight hair.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Ooh. Got another....

They are not vambraces, gauntlets, or bracers ( look 'em up!��)
    They are bracelets, and they are an important religious symbol akin to important religious iconography of the major religions, that should be worn by all Amazons. That they also are used in deflection of projectiles is secondary.
    I looked those up. Bracelets look nothing like what the Amazons wear. Calling them gauntlets or bracers is more fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    This is why I liked Martson's version. Diana could have lost. This is why I dislike her being the only kid or her being a demi goddess. It doesn't give her the fair fight. I like the idea of her not growing up alone. It gives the whole she is the queen's daughter but she also doesn't have any special attention that makes it seem she is too spoiled
    Even in Martson's version she was still stronger and faster than the rest of the Amazons. She had an unfair advantage over them.