Page 84 of 438 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 6568

Here's an idea: ditch the contest. It doesn't explain how Diana is a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If Diana competes in the contest, then she absolutely has to be on the same level as the other Amazons. Otherwise it's not a contest and her victory is cheap. Like me beating a six year old at a game of basketball, yknow?
    Absolutely is pushing it too much. There are various ways to have Diana be on a different level than the rest of the Amazons and still have the contest work. One key here is that the other Amazons should perceive the contest as fair.

Rucka solved it by only unlocking Diana's full powers until after her arrival in Man's World. Pérez solved it by not having the other Amazons aware of Diana's full gifts, and by having her unlock them slowly. The movie (though it went a different route in the end) had only some of the Amazons aware of what Diana was potentially aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Here's an idea: ditch the contest. It doesn't explain how Diana is a hero.
    While I agree that the contest isn't absolutely necessary it serves several narrative purposes: it showcases the skills of the Amazons, it tells something about Amazon culture, and it serves as a handy way of establishing Diana's capabilities.

The movie did just fine without it, because it accomplished those goals in other ways. On the other hand, I think the Bloodlines animated movie removed the contest without considering the narrative issues it served, and the film suffered for it.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I don't know. Hippolyta and the other Amazons worked hard to get to where they are. So wouldn't Diana also show that? I wonder going to Marston's version. What if Diana getting her powers unlocked is because it's unlocking an amazon true potential. The reason many don't go there because it's dangers.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-19-2019 at 06:48 PM.

The contest is about deciding who is the champion of Themiscyra. Which is something Diana is. That's not what makes her a hero but it's something she is.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Absolutely is pushing it too much. There are various ways to have Diana be on a different level than the rest of the Amazons and still have the contest work. One key here is that the other Amazons should perceive the contest as fair.
    I suppose it would depend on how exactly you set Diana apart. If you mean "different level" because she's simply more skilled, then yeah. That's kind of the whole point; finding out who's the best and most skilled. If you're talking "Diana can throw buildings at people" while the other Amazons are much closer to human norms, then no, that's not fair and never could be.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I suppose it would depend on how exactly you set Diana apart. If you mean "different level" because she's simply more skilled, then yeah. That's kind of the whole point; finding out who's the best and most skilled. If you're talking "Diana can throw buildings at people" while the other Amazons are much closer to human norms, then no, that's not fair and never could be.
    Some versions suggest that part of the contest is to give the title of Champion to the most POWERFUL Amazon. Which means it makes sense that she'd be physically strongest.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Just bring back Amazon training and have all the Amazons be superhuman, with some of them like Mala and Nubia nearing Diana's level.

How much impact they have out on the outside world and the superhero power level dynamics doesn't matter since they never leave the damn island anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Just bring back Amazon training and have all the Amazons be superhuman, with some of them like Mala and Nubia nearing Diana's level.

How much impact they have out on the outside world and the superhero power level dynamics doesn't matter since they never leave the damn island anyway.
    They USUALLY don't leave... also you have the Bana-Migdall who just don't live there.

Yea but how do we explain how Diana got to Superman levels? I got it. Maybe Diana experiments on how far she can push herself.

I think it just works if Diana is a demi goddess like Hercules, but she doesn't have full powers until later, and few people know who she really is. Not even she knows her full capacity.

Here is another confusing thing I found in the movie.. There are a couple of scenes that show Diana sort of flying.. The final shot when she jumps into the air and when she is fighting Ares and she seems to levitate for a bit. We still didn't see her really flying in BvS or JL, though.

I agree that unlike Bruce or Clarke most of her circle who she is. I think it would be interesting if she had a charm on her if she is uncovered that she doesn’t look like Diana. She could be blonde regular sized woman to others

Wonder Woman should act more like Greta Thunberg.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I think it just works if Diana is a demi goddess like Hercules, but she doesn't have full powers until later, and few people know who she really is. Not even she knows her full capacity.

Here is another confusing thing I found in the movie.. There are a couple of scenes that show Diana sort of flying.. The final shot when she jumps into the air and when she is fighting Ares and she seems to levitate for a bit. We still didn't see her really flying in BvS or JL, though.
    She just goes into slow motion...not really "levitating"

Steve Trevor was not screwed over by DC. He was still a character that was featured in Perez's run and is the Wonder Woman character with the second most appearances in media after Diana herself.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Steve Trevor was not screwed over by DC. He was still a character that was featured in Perez's run and is the Wonder Woman character with the second most appearances in media after Diana herself.
    He might as well not have been. He was even more pointless there than he can be already when he's a love interest.