Page 254 of 266 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258264 ... LastLast
Results 3,796 to 3,810 of 3986
  1. #3796
    Astonishing Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    There won't be any decent public awareness until DC makes an effort to capitalize on WW's popularity. When her first movie came out it was the perfect opportunity to push Dr Poison. Like, give her a major role in the WW book, or give her an arc in the Justice League book where she attacks the planet with a killer virus or something, or make her a playable character in Injustice 2. But they gave us Jason instead
    People complain about Marvel synergizing with the MCU. Meanwhile, we are complaining about DC not synergizing at all when their properties are being adapted. :P

  2. #3797
    Mighty Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    There won't be any decent public awareness until DC makes an effort to capitalize on WW's popularity. When her first movie came out it was the perfect opportunity to push Dr Poison. Like, give her a major role in the WW book, or give her an arc in the Justice League book where she attacks the planet with a killer virus or something, or make her a playable character in Injustice 2. But they gave us Jason instead
    Maru was part of the story arc the same year the first movie came out, same as Ares. Maru shot Diana 3 months before the movie premiered.

    And they pushed Max Lord in the comics for the second movie.

    Does...does that count, guys?

  3. #3798
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Maru was part of the story arc the same year the first movie came out, same as Ares. Maru shot Diana 3 months before the movie premiered.

    And they pushed Max Lord in the comics for the second movie.

    Does...does that count, guys?
    No, but they did try that Pump and Dump tactic to boost Yara by announcing her TV show to get the speculators in, report how big a success she is, get the story picked up in larger more general publications and then cancel it afterwards once everyone was already sold on Yara.

    I'm not even mad because people know about her now, but that move was so shady.

    That's probably the most successful they've been in getting mass interest in Wonder product in a while.

  4. #3799
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,333

    Default

    I don't think that's what happened. CW seems to choose what it is interested in, not DC. Plus they had to pay for a script, which can be expensive, specially since the writer was already the showrunner of a successful show.

  5. #3800
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't think that's what happened. CW seems to choose what it is interested in, not DC. Plus they had to pay for a script, which can be expensive, specially since the writer was already the showrunner of a successful show.
    Possibly, but Yara went from the most discussed hero at DC (she was getting more buzz than Jace, the new Batman) to "well she's getting an ongoing."

    I'm excited for her book but all publications seemingly lost their hype for her overnight.

  6. #3801
    Astonishing Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,454

    Default

    I'm guessing they wanted to cash in on the success of Wonder Woman 1984 with their own WW show. After all they had shows with characters related to or starring Superman and Batman but no Wonder Woman. So they decided to come up with their own character for a Wonder Woman spin off show. They could have gone with Cassie or Donna but I guess they weren't 'Didio approved'.

  7. #3802
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I'm guessing they wanted to cash in on the success of Wonder Woman 1984 with their own WW show. After all they had shows with characters related to or starring Superman and Batman but no Wonder Woman. So they decided to come up with their own character for a Wonder Woman spin off show. They could have gone with Cassie or Donna but I guess they weren't 'Didio approved'.
    DiDio not liking the various generations of sidekicks for aging up the classic heroes yet also approving the creation of yet more will always be weird.

    That and for him supposedly being a Silver/Bronze age fanboy, Donna's generation of Titans go hit the hardest under his reign. As a fellow Bronze/Silver fanboy, I can't wrap my ahead around being comparatively (if barely) favorable to the YJ generation over the NTT. And someone in his position should have checked those biases at the door anyway.

  8. #3803
    Extraordinary Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    DiDio not liking the various generations of sidekicks for aging up the classic heroes yet also approving the creation of yet more will always be weird.

    That and for him supposedly being a Silver/Bronze age fanboy, Donna's generation of Titans go hit the hardest under his reign. As a fellow Bronze/Silver fanboy, I can't wrap my ahead around being comparatively (if barely) favorable to the YJ generation over the NTT. And someone in his position should have checked those biases at the door anyway.
    I assume some of it is he was, before being canned, he was promoting his own creations or at least ones he was involved in.

  9. #3804
    Astonishing Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,454

    Default

    He only likes them, up to a point. He doesn't like the fact that characters were allowed to grow up and in Wally's case, outright replace his Silver Age counterpart. I think he and his editorial only saw them as characters meant to be remain stagnant or killed off at some point.

    But on the other hand, market and demographics change so they had to create new characters and I guess it's good PR if those newer properties are successful.

    I'm guessing that anything positive that happened with the NTT was in spite of Didio and not because of him.

  10. #3805
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Possibly, but Yara went from the most discussed hero at DC (she was getting more buzz than Jace, the new Batman) to "well she's getting an ongoing."

    I'm excited for her book but all publications seemingly lost their hype for her overnight.
    With Yara Flor and Nubia, I fear the Wonder brand has become more about identity politics and superficial diversity, than rallying ..or liberating the oppressed. Certainly, we can say the same of Wonder Woman, at the beginning of the Golden Age.

    I think a clever writer could find roles or situations for them to inspire others and stand up for freedom. I imagine Donna, having been entrusted to General Darnell, after growing into adolescence, on Paradise Island - now, using her powers to be the heroic protectress for a small, blue-collar, Northeastern [TWIN PEAKS!!] town. I can imagine Yara taking heroic protection of the U.S's Latin American Border Crisis ..and of the Amazon Rain Forests and the people, who live there, very seriously! I see Nubia settling in Gateway City, with Cassie and Oldman Hercules - together...between them, rallying urbanites. struggling with social injustice, anti-LGBTQA violence, racism, poverty, gentrification, etc and so forth.

    I think they need something more to do, than just represent!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-15-2021 at 03:48 AM.
    A RASH ON MY TITANS (AND IT SMARTS)...STARRING WONDER WOMAN...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

  11. #3806
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,333

    Default

    Well, it's a good thing that Yara Flor and Nubia are being promoted and explored, but you are right when you say that it doesn't mean that the stories themselves will be transgressive and transformative. I don't see why Yara would be particularly interested in the Border Crisis more than anyone else. Her family is from Brazil (a country in the middle of South America) and she was raised in the mid west of America I believe. Neither of her homes have anything to do with the U.S.A's border with Mexico.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Certainly, we can say the same of Wonder Woman, at the beginning of the Golden Age.
    Are you saying that at the beggining of the Golden Age Diana WAS politically active, or are you saying she WASN'T?

  12. #3807
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Well, it's a good thing that Yara Flor and Nubia are being promoted and explored, but you are right when you say that it doesn't mean that the stories themselves will be transgressive and transformative. I don't see why Yara would be particularly interested in the Border Crisis more than anyone else. Her family is from Brazil (a country in the middle of South America) and she was raised in the mid west of America I believe. Neither of her homes have anything to do with the U.S.A's border with Mexico.



    Are you saying that at the beggining of the Golden Age Diana WAS politically active, or are you saying she WASN'T?
    Yes, Alpha. I am saying that Wonder Woman represented women expressing power, ..in an oppressive, Western, patriarchal, capitalist narrative or paradigm. That's what I said, when I picked up a WW comic, for the first time, at my local drugstore - or was it 7 Eleven?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-15-2021 at 08:28 PM.
    A RASH ON MY TITANS (AND IT SMARTS)...STARRING WONDER WOMAN...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

  13. #3808
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,333

    Default

    Ok I agree.

  14. #3809
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,945

    Default

    I wonder why Donna and Cassie can't be used just because they are in one comic book. More I think about the more I wonder if the editors much like Dan hate the characters. They already make Diana look like she needs help at times.

  15. #3810
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,333

    Default

    To be fair, how often have Supergirl and Conner Kent and Steel appeared in Superman comics over the last few years?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •