Page 116 of 440 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Because Diana deflecting bullets with her Bracers is also iconic, and having her be vulnerable to bullets is the most logical means of giver her a reason to do that
    I have never really agreed with that. As an Amazon I imagine continued improvement to precision, efficiency, and economy of action is always in mind. One of the great contributions from Byrne is explaining expressly that Diana doesn't only deflect the bullets/lasers/whatevs but she also picks and aims where they go so as not to harm others. Also it is aneat strategy to turn enemy fire against them.

1. Batman is not bullet broof
    2. Ditch the shield then, don't ditch a piece of her iconography
    With his Armor Batman is bulletproof. He got tougher armor for the more serious thing. Diana is around the Superman level. Yet bullets can kill her? How can she die like a normal person when she can survive unnatural things? We see Amazons taken hits or injuries that would kill normal people. They don't.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-07-2020 at 07:20 PM.

1. Batman is not bullet proof
    Depends upon the writer, but here are a couple of different writers who write him as bulletproof (and that's when he's not wearing his 'I can take out the whole JLA armor )

2. Ditch the shield then, don't ditch a piece of her iconography
    On this, I absolutely agree! Ditch the shield and go back to using the bracelets to deflect ranged attacks, but again, more powerful than bullets.

"Iconography" is and always has been a stupid reason to keep something no longer needed. It's what has lead to the perception of DC being the more conservative and less progressive company than Marvel.

There is no reason for Diana to remain vulnerable to bullets just so you can keep the bullet deflecting bracelets. Especially when the logical conclusion would be to just have a sniper kill her due to her lack of protection.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-07-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    With his Armor Batman is bulletproof. He got tougher armor for the more serious thing. Diana is around the Superman level. Yet bullets can kill her? How can she die like a normal person when she can survive unnatural things? We see Amazons taken hits or injuries that would kill normal people. They don't.
    In my personal pitch for the mythos, the fact that she can die "Like a normal person" is part of the point.

In my pitch, her invulnerability comes from a spell cast on her after she wins the contest. For the spell to work, she is required to name a vulnerability, and she chooses to be vulnerable to bullets because she believes that to properly lead the people of the world on a better path, she must face the same dangers they do.

In my personal pitch for the mythos, the fact that she can die "Like a normal person" is part of the point.

In my pitch, her invulnerability comes from a spell cast on her after she wins the contest. For the spell to work, she is required to name a vulnerability, and she chooses to be vulnerable to bullets because she believes that to properly lead the people of the world on a better path, she must face the same dangers they do.
    Why would you need to be vulnerable to bullets to be able to help people? These are two completely different things.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why would you need to be vulnerable to bullets to be able to help people? These are two completely different things.
    Because her intent is to be an advocate for change in Man's world, an activist.

Activists frequently face backlash from those who have a vested interest in retaining their power, often in the form of violence. She feels that it is unethical to ask people to risk such violence without putting herself in equal vulnerability.

Activists frequently face backlash from those who have a vested interest in retaining their power, often in the form of violence. She feels that it is unethical to ask people to risk such violence without putting herself in equal vulnerability.
    One idea I had was for the bracelets of submission to be equal parts blessing and curse. IE wearing them gives you weaknesses that you don't have naturally that are imposed by magic. Like the while "become powerless when the bracelets are bound together" thing.....
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 02-08-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: snark removed

She already faces violence from various gods, demons, sorcerers and monsters who are just as dangerous to her as they are to humans. Making herself easier to be killed isn't noble, its foolishness. I don't see anyone saying Superman should remove most of his super powers to be a better symbol of hope for humanity. Violence is also not the only way to get to her as seen in Rucka's run. Even real life activists aren't going to unnecessarily risk their lives if they can avoid it.

I really have no idea why being vulnerable to bullets upsets people so much. She's ALWAYS been that way, it didn't stop you from becoming a fan. It's like saying Superman shouldn't be vulnerable to Kryptonite because his body should have built up a tolerance for it over the years and then being upset the comics don't match your personal head canon. If you can accept flying people it seems to me you could get over a bullet vulnerability.

I'm with Jcogginsa on the iconic nature of Bullets & Bracelets and would hate to see it changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I really have no idea why being vulnerable to bullets upsets people so much. She's ALWAYS been that way, it didn't stop you from becoming a fan. It's like saying Superman shouldn't be vulnerable to Kryptonite because his body should have built up a tolerance for it over the years and then being upset the comics don't match your personal head canon. If you can accept flying people it seems to me you could get over a bullet vulnerability.

I'm with Jcogginsa on the iconic nature of Bullets & Bracelets and would hate to see it changed.
    People have an issue with the bullet vulnerability because it is inconsistent with the way the rest of durability works. It's that simple. And frankly, I don't see how being annoyed with it is less silly than complaining about Diana using a sword "because it's phallic symbolism".

"It's always been like this" does not work as a defense when the thing you are arguing in favor of is on it's face indefensible.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-07-2020 at 11:42 PM.

People have an issue with the bullet vulnerability because it is inconsistent with the way the rest of durability works. It's that simple. And frankly, I don't see how being annoyed with it is less silly than complaining about Diana using a sword "because it's phallic symbolism".

"It's always been like this" does not work as a defense when the thing you are arguing in favor of is on it's face indefensible.
    Yeah part of why I went with the idea it's some sort of magic curse. she fights people who are fast enough to catch bullets and people who can punch faster than bullets fly. It doesn't really make sense for her to get punched so fast a normal person couldn't even see the punch and just shrug it off, but have a bullet go through her, unless it's a curse.

I know, I've heard the reasons why seemingly at least once a month. It still doesn't make sense in the broader scheme of things. DC clearly isn't changing it, you really should let it go. Oh and its definitely defensible, I'm just tired of talking about it.

Extraordinary Member

She already faces violence from various gods, demons, sorcerers and monsters who are just as dangerous to her as they are to humans. Making herself easier to be killed isn't noble, its foolishness. I don't see anyone saying Superman should remove most of his super powers to be a better symbol of hope for humanity. Violence is also not the only way to get to her as seen in Rucka's run. Even real life activists aren't going to unnecessarily risk their lives if they can avoid it.
    Superman isn't an active advocate for political change. Diana in my pitch would be.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    That's dumb, like, standing-in-front-of-a-truck dumb.

One idea I had was for the bracelets of submission to be equal parts blessing and curse. IE wearing them gives you weaknesses that you don't have naturally that are imposed by magic. Like the while "become powerless when the bracelets are bound together" thing.....
    So basically the same explanation as mine just without using it to expand on her character

I like that Diana isn't bulletproof. Characters without weaknesses are boring and it also gives an actual function to the bracelets.

I kinda like that Donna is the hottest mess in the history of DC comics. That's quite an achievement and makes her stand out from everyone else.

Circe is a better arch-enemy than Cheetah.