Page 68 of 438 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 6568

I prefer the Perez =W= battle-ax to the sword, it's more unique to Wonder Woman. I like when she uses a bow and arrows too, but that became more of an Artemis thing and Artemis' battle-ax on steroids "Mistress" makes Diana's look like a toy. There's nothing better than a tiara toss because nobody has that but Wonder Woman and it's so rarely used. There's something cool about apparent jewelry that doubles as a weapon. It's like a secret and reminds me of the lock picks in Storm's old headdress. The tiara is so innocuous that a villain could leave her with that not knowing it can be a get out of jail free card.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I prefer the Perez =W= battle-ax to the sword, it's more unique to Wonder Woman. I like when she uses a bow and arrows too, but that became more of an Artemis thing and Artemis' battle-ax on steroids "Mistress" makes Diana's look like a toy. There's nothing better than a tiara toss because nobody has that but Wonder Woman and it's so rarely used. There's something cool about apparent jewelry that doubles as a weapon. It's like a secret and reminds me of the lock picks in Storm's old headdress. The tiara is so innocuous that a villain could leave her with that not knowing it can be a get out of jail free card.
    Sailor Moon...

As for the sword debate, well, maybe depending on what she's facing. It should definitely NOT be her main stay, that should be her lasso. The sword should be saved for something like Darkseid, Doomsday, robot army, that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Sailor Moon...

As for the sword debate, well, maybe depending on what she's facing. It should definitely NOT be her main stay, that should be her lasso. The sword should be saved for something like Darkseid, Doomsday, robot army, that sort of thing.
    I've never watched Sailor Moon but think Xena's chakram is a definite rip-off.

Oh damn, Sailor Moon is too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQC15GaJOrM

I don't mind the sword it’s more of how often they have new carry it.

I have been thinking. We know the Amazons origins are generally either women who are rebirth or women created by Aphrodite. I wonder if the Amazons were married to men. Should their sons and husbands be considered amazons? I often thought despite being a female society they probably had males in their ranks.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-14-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Oh I totally forgot about the axe! Yeah, that was great! I like that more than the sword too.

I do like the sword, I loved that her blade in Kingdom Come could cut atoms (in my head that was Godkiller). And I'm fine with her using it when the occasion warrants. But all the time? Big no to that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh I totally forgot about the axe! Yeah, that was great! I like that more than the sword too.

I do like the sword, I loved that her blade in Kingdom Come could cut atoms (in my head that was Godkiller). And I'm fine with her using it when the occasion warrants. But all the time? Big no to that.
    It cheapens it, I liked when a sword was reserved for uber threats, not for everyday use. Like a cape, it should only be for special occasions.

Amazons and men. Before Paradise Island. Should the Amazons be more only female only country or just coed country? Generally in the myths either the Amazons would go out sleep with men and keep the girls and give by the boys. That or the men would live with the men.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-14-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Amazons and men. Before Paradise Island. Should the Amazons be more only female only country or just coed country? Generally in the myths either the Amazons would go out sleep with men and keep the girls and give by the boys. That or the men would live with the men.
    I'm fine with the Amazons originally just being a matriarchy where the typical gender roles were reversed and women were the leaders, warriors, etc., and the men were the "domestic" ones. Several Greek cultures had standards that would seem unusual today so I don't feel like you need to justify anything with the Amazons here. Then everything hits the fan with Hercules, the Amazonian men and boys are wiped out, and the female survivors end up on Themyscria.

Easier and quicker to explain than anything else, and the memory of what was done to them and what they lost provides plenty of incentive for the Amazons to have the attitude they have towards men.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I've never watched Sailor Moon but think Xena's chakram is a definite rip-off.

Oh damn, Sailor Moon is too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQC15GaJOrM
    In-universe, people often talked about how they'd never seen a weapon like Xena's chakram before. Well, historically chakrams were a thing from India. Very few Greeks had heard of them, or seen them. Also... Xena doesn't use it right. If you pay close attention they never show Lucy Lawless actually catch the prop. Even a dull ring blade would injure you if you caught it like a Frisbee. Fakirs actually used sticks. Their weapon setup included a baton and they'd use the baton to throw the chakram. Also those things would often get stuck in whoever/whatever they got thrown at...

Heh, the original Sailor Moon was in 1992, so yeah, it's not that old. Hers is interesting because it's basically a tiara shaped magic wand. She has an actual magic wand too. So it gets weird some times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavunion View Post
    To me, Batman has the advantage that he isn't always carrying the same weapon nor always rely on it, they are a plus to his fighting style. Wonder Woman though, I don't think the sword works too much because I think it makes her more of a sword person than a martial art type and also means her strenght doesn't show off as well, I like her more when she is shown on the level of Superman.

It's not as much about the use of weapons as much as it is about how the hero looks like. With the redesign and the combo of sword/spear, I think she kinda looks like a generic heroic fantasy character who just needs a bow to be a cliche. But otherwise, I really love the idea that she is capable of using weapons and having her own set of armors to fight, just not everytime and the same one
    I like the pocket dimension approach. It's hidden until used.

I often thing her bracelets should be the pocket dimension. She needs a summon easy. She needs a spear easy.

I don't know what do you guys think about Diana living in a place with 4 seasons? generally Diana is often living in places where it's much like the Island but how different would it be on her first years being in winter and fall?

I’m curious what if the Amazons has part of the island non hidden. Like the place where Ares or the doom gate is hidden but some of it is where we are. The reason was at first to help shipwrecked people. Some Amazons would also explore a little bit. This is only for Amazons who aren’t xenophobic. They wouldn’t go gay just to hear by islands

Any call for xenophobic Amazons is a result of misogyny and the way patriarchal privilege rejects any idea of society not centered around men.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Any call for xenophobic Amazons is a result of misogyny and the way patriarchal privilege rejects any idea of society not centered around men.
    Well that's definitely a controversial opinion. Thanks for calling me sexist, I guess?

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well that's definitely a controversial opinion. Thanks for calling me sexist, I guess?
    Everyone can be sexist, at least some of the time.

To me, the idea of making the Amazons misandric or xenophobic goes counter to everything that Diana should stand for, as it fundamentally changes her from a teacher who is here to show Man's World a better way to live, to someone who rejects their old bad upbringing for living in a world with men. It's not even critique of Marston's decidely skewed views of gender: merely turning them inside out.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I think we can stand to see more Wonder Woman/Hippolyta interactions.