Page 434 of 440 FirstFirst ... 334384424430431432433434435436437438 ... LastLast
Results 6,496 to 6,510 of 6590
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I do otherwise agree with her every step of the way.

The Amazons still won that fight in the movie, but even one of them dying against WW1 era soldiers feels wrong.
    In this version...its their very first encounter with modern day weapons. Their first battle against bullets...I would definitely expect some to be killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    In this version...its their very first encounter with modern day weapons. Their first battle against bullets...I would definitely expect some to be killed.
    Depends if you think Amazons should be able to be killed by human weapons.

Why wouldn't Amazons be killed by human weapons? If Wonder Woman herself isn't immune to bullets they shouldn't be either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Kind of in reaction to this but while I don't see a problem with something like the bracelets all being the same but overall I'm not a fan of the idea Diana shouldn't be any different from regular Amazons. I get the idea of "any woman can be WW" or the Spider-Verse "anyone can wear the mask" idea but overall I view attempts to make Diana "less special" kind of pointless. If I was a conspiratorial nature, I'd even go to suggest it's another variation of DC wants to use WW iconography but not Diana herself.

Even from day one she's the Queens daughter, so she's already in a privileged position amongst her peers, I think making all potential kids on Themyscira being clay babies takes away from the scene for Hippolyta and Diana's creation, and I don't really see a problem with Diana having powers during something like the contest. The actual important part of the contest is Diana defying her mother, not if it was actually fair from an in-universe perspective as if it were a real sporting competition.

It just reminds of all those bad faith criticisms of Batman being a "beat up poor people fantasy".
    If the main thrust of the story is Diana defying her mother, then the contest is redundant. She can simply opt to leave Themyscira without her mother's knowledge or consent like the DCAU or DCEU did.

Diana is already less special by being in a shared universe with other superheroes, a number of whom have similar powers to her. At least with other Amazons being on her level, Diana is being matched by characters from her own corner and that in its own way shows DC is taking the Wonder Woman property seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I do find it a bit funny that DeConnick argued against Diana being more special than other Amazons, and while arguing valid points, her story did still set up Diana as being more special. To the point of potentially eliminating the need for the contest altogether
    Where did she say this?

Call me old school, but heck no to all the amazons being as "special" as Diana. The book is not called The Real Wonder Women of Themyscira Road, and the goddesses did not gift the entire island nation with powers. Just Diana. I get Nubia, Donna, and even Cassie, but the rest of them amazons should only be as special as their "normal amazon" skills and training afford them. Nothing beyond that.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Do regular Amazons have an ability that prevents them from being killed by human weapons? I'm pretty sure in flashbacks to old battles they were getting killed by swords and spears.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's a consequence of nerfing the Amazons by making them bronze age throwbacks. For the movie version it may make sense, but that's a result of the Magic Sphere and other technology being removed, as well as Amazon training.

Say what you will about the problematic elements of Earth One, I feel the opening scene of volume 2 is how it would go down. Over in a matter of seconds, with only the superhuman Paula von Gunther being any sort of challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Where did she say this?
    One of the Word Balloon interviews, I believe the one she did with Nicola on issue 3

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Do regular Amazons have an ability that prevents them from being killed by human weapons? I'm pretty sure in flashbacks to old battles they were getting killed by swords and spears.
    Those were the ancient battles. After thousands of years on the island, they should be leveling up.

Even in the ancient ones, Hippolyta either defeats or kills Hercules, and the Amazons go against some mythological monsters that are more intimidating than WW1 German soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Call me old school, but heck no to all the amazons being as "special" as Diana. The book is not called The Real Wonder Women of Themyscira Road, and the goddesses did not gift the entire island nation with powers. Just Diana. I get Nubia, Donna, and even Cassie, but the rest of them amazons should only be as special as their "normal amazon" skills and training afford them. Nothing beyond that.
    See, one take is that they're basically demi-goddesses, but relatively weak ones due to being several generations removed.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I basically view them as Buffys. They have greater strength and durability but even Buffy is susceptible to a bullet.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Why wouldn't Amazons be killed by human weapons? If Wonder Woman herself isn't immune to bullets they shouldn't be either.
    I don't think WW should be killed by hem. And honesly, regular amazons should be far more difficukt to kill than what mos versions show.

I basically view them as Buffys. They have greater strength and durability but even Buffy is susceptible to a bullet.
    Yeah. The legends are warriors with impressive capabilities, better than normal people to be sure.. but not... "super".

Donna Troy and Kyle Rayner should encounter one another again to see if there’s anything romantic between them.

I always thought they had potential. Donna as a photographer and Kyle as an artist - both creative and artistic types. Kyle and his ring that’s utilized by willpower and Donna’s Lasso of Persuasion being wielded by her willpower. Some fun parallels between them. I’d love to see them go on a double date with Nightwing and Batgirl.

Amazons should be superhuman past peak human. Similar to Atlanteans, they should all be above peak human, but also on a range where some are more powerful than others depending on their physiology, habits and training.

Wonder Woman doesn't need an event and I don't know why fans keep asking for one given how bad they often are.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wonder Woman doesn't need an event and I don't know why fans keep asking for one given how bad they often are.
    I don't think she "needs it" either, but the few WW-centered events we have had being bad doesn't mean that any new event that showcases Diana will inevitably be bad. I mean, the Witching Hour was quite solid, imo.