Page 138 of 440 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188238 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 6592

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Since when is "identity" a Wonder Woman theme?
    All superheroes have identity as a theme. Sometimes they're secret identities, sometimes they're not. Diana chose to go to Man's World because it aligned with her identity as an Amazon, and was shocked by her mother's choices to NOT to go Man's World. Her mother's choices did not align with Diana's idea of what an Amazon should be... so that essential conflict has always been there.

In 1942 she knew how she was created and brought to life, there was no mystery. There was no big reveal.
    Yep, her birth is a story. The reveal is new. You can like what you like.

That is until her origin was altered for no good reason just to get male parts involved.
    See, now this is makes me question the authenticity of your position. "Male... parts"?

I recognize that you CANNOT imagine a dramatic scenario where Hippolyte can make the increasingly complicated choices to enjoy a night with Zeus, continue with the resulting pregnancy, and orchestrate a massive lie to protect herself, her people, and her child, but I CAN.... And the story in my head is bigger and better, imho, than the ones by Azzarello or Heinberg. So... not much else to say there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Hippolyte having a sexual relationship with and having a child with Zeus, widely known to be somebody's husband, does NOT diminish Hippolyte? Or WW'S mythos?
    Wouldn't it be appropriate for the goddess of marriage to ALSO be the goddess of divorce?
    Last edited by CRaymond; 04-21-2020 at 07:31 PM.

It is perfectly valid to use human morality to judge the gods. They are not eldritch abominations whose desires and thoughts are alien to us. This is simply an excuse to not confront things like Zeus being a rapist and Hera being his enabler.

No bloody paternal narrative for Wonder Woman!

Zeus is just the bloody worst option of the lot, due to being a rapist and an enabler of patriarchy.

Still, I absolutely detest the idea that sees Hippolyta as an adulteress due to that. It's a argument unworthy of Wonder Woman, mired as it is in patriarchal control of women.

Being formed from clay and being given life by some Olympic goddesses is a perfectly good origin story. If they want to modernise it and make the Amazons high-tech, then have her be Hippolyta's and Philippus's daughter, based on high-end medical and reproductive technology.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    All superheroes have identity as a theme. Sometimes they're secret identities, sometimes they're not. Diana chose to go to Man's World because it aligned with her identity as an Amazon, and was shocked by her mother's choices to NOT to go Man's World. Her mother's choices did not align with Diana's idea of what an Amazon should be... so that essential conflict has always been there.

Yep, her birth is a story. The reveal is new. You can like what you like.

See, now this is makes me question the authenticity of your position. "Male... parts"?

I recognize that you CANNOT imagine a dramatic scenario where Hippolyte can make the increasingly complicated choices to enjoy a night with Zeus, continue with the resulting pregnancy, and orchestrate a massive lie to protect herself, her people, and her child, but I CAN.... And the story in my head is bigger and better, imho, than the ones by Azzarello or Heinberg. So... not much else to say there.

Wouldn't it be appropriate for the goddess of marriage to ALSO be the goddess of divorce?
    No offense, but all that is a load of hooey lol

No offense, but all that is a load of hooey lol
    Hard to take offense when you’re the one being dismissive and disparaging.

Hard to take offense when you’re the one being dismissive and disparaging.
    My apologies, I should have gone into detail about why I think it's a load of hooey. Firstly your assertion that all superheroes are about identity rings false to me. Had you said justice, vengeance, protecting innocents, vigilantism or simply ego, I may have agreed with you.

Hippolyta and Diana's main conflict isn't about identity either, it boils down to a mother being overprotective and a daughter wanting freedom, purpose, knowledge of the outside world and adventure.

Male parts were mentioned because for years previously DC had seemingly sought to make Wonder Woman more relatable by including more men. The retconning of her origin is the biggest example of this, but it's not the only one.

I can imagine your dramatic scenario, however I disagree that the good Queen that Hippolyta has shown herself to be would make such horrible decisions that jeopardizes her subjects out of her own petty selfishness.

It's out of character.

I'm curious when it comes to main Partons gods wouldn't it make sense for them to be mostly female? Maybe expect Hera.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    ...No one really wanted Jason. We have Donna and Cassie not being used then we have to accept Jason has her twin. When they could easily forget about him. There was no need for Jason. We had Nubia, we had Cassie or Donna. We don't need to add to family members. Unlike Batman or Superman family...
    I think there has been an interest in seeing Diana interact with a character, like Jason ..or one that serves a similar function - the brother figure or male counterpart - since the Wonder Woman show, in the 70s. There've been flirtations with the idea, since that time, ..like Captain Wonder, Champion and Gail's Olympian, Achilles. I think Jason being plugged in, as the biological twin brother, was the bridge-too-far for so many of us.

Somewhere between the fans, who are terrified of a poorly written Wonder Woman being overshadowed by a cool male counterpart, and fans, who welcome such a character, ..there's something all of us can live with.

...Wouldn't it be appropriate for the goddess of marriage to ALSO be the goddess of divorce?
    And THIS is why I love the Wonderboards!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-22-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I often had an idea that due to the lack of people believing in them the Gods did have to get actually jobs. Changing them. Like Hera becoming a marriage counselor. I do love Azz's version of Hera. Something like that Hera losing her powers and has to find herself. That Zeus now has no power and is now at the mercy of laws.

Retired

I think, if I was writing and drawing for the comic books, one of the creative decisions I'd make would be to show that gods are not super-powered humans. They are something else, something other than human. The anthropomorphizing of deities makes them seem too ordinary and mundane.

Spectacular Member

i would have love it if something like that happened in wilson run. I imagined Aphrodite as a online dating site manager.

Humanity has been anthropomorphizing deities for ages. It's the only way we were able to tell stories about them in the first place.

Extraordinary Member

In marston's yes. All the Amazons were created by Aphrodite. In fact Diana wasn't the only Amazon kid. Just the best of the best.
    Do you have an issue number for this? I've long been a proponent of this kind of thing, so having an actual citation would be very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Do you have an issue number for this? I've long been a proponent of this kind of thing, so having an actual citation would be very helpful
    Which one the Amazons or Diana being not the only child? So The newspaper comics we see the Amazons being made of Clay. And we see Diana's 7th birthday in Issue # 23.

Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-23-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Fantastic Member

I'm curious when it comes to main Partons gods wouldn't it make sense for them to be mostly female? Maybe expect Hera.
    I think Wonder Woman's main Parton goddesses should be Aphrodite, Athena, and Artemis.

Aphrodite for love, Athena for wisdom, Artemis for hunting.