Page 251 of 440 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261301351 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,765 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post

As for if it "makes sense".. that depends on how much like myth the DC Amazons are.
    If we go with the clay origin then not much like the myth at all. Why would Hippolyta need to ask for a child if she could just rape a man?

I'm pretty sure this is the first story published by DC where Wonder Woman kisses another woman. And it's actually Lois Lane transformed into Wonder Woman kissing Artemis. Still wish Diana would date some fantastical characters but they don't have to be goddesses necessarily.

WW kiss Artemis.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    If we go with the clay origin then not much like the myth at all. Why would Hippolyta need to ask for a child if she could just rape a man?
    Even in DC the clay thing is apparently not where most Amazons come from. In the myths, I'm not sure "rape" is the right word really.

Even in DC the clay thing is apparently not where most Amazons come from. In the myths, I'm not sure "rape" is the right word really.
    I ask again, why wouldn't Hippolyta use the same method as the other amazons if the amazons were just like Greek myth?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Because Poly isn't a scumbag and never should be portrayed as one?

Clay origin all day, for what it's worth.

That's a discussion that's been had before. :P I was more talking about how social media activism is often little more than making noise. Is the comment made by someone who genuinely thinks it's a good idea?... do they even know what they're talking about? Those things are worth knowing before you try to take it seriously.

As for if it "makes sense".. that depends on how much like myth the DC Amazons are.
    5,000 years of only women to share intimacy with, bro it's gonna happen. I have no doubts some Amazons see themselves as asexual/aromantic, see men and think "you know what? Yes." And others "oh, so those are dudes. I forgot. Yeah, no, I'm good. Pass."

A smaller percentage are probably straight or ace, but most probably enjoy the company of other women. I sincerely doubt 5,000 years or however old they are pass without that just being the norm Diana is raised with. It makes sense, more than with most other characters the argument is made to change their orientation. I don't always agree, but on Diana I just don't see how even those who don't agree with the change can say it makes no sense.

Is it possible she's hetero? Sure, but I wouldn't say likely.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-10-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Because Poly isn't a scumbag and never should be portrayed as one?

Clay origin all day, for what it's worth.
    Of course not and I'm trying to state the opposite.

My argument is that the amazons aren't like the greek myth at all, and thus they don't fornicate with men passing by. They are, as we have seen since the 1940s, an isolated society and any amazon that stayed there for 36 lifetimes (3000 years) would most certainly be bisexual if not gay.

This all comes down to a comment someone made that seemed to imply that Wonder Woman being bisexual might not make sense. Her groing up only knowing bisexual or gay women doesn't mean that she couldn't be straight, but it seems to me like that plus the fact that she is supposed to be an open person with an extraordinary capacity to love tell me that her being bisexual feels in synch with her core themes.

5,000 years of only women to share intimacy with, bro it's gonna happen. I have no doubts some Amazons see themselves as asexual/aromantic, see men and think "you know what? Yes." And others "oh, so those are dudes. I forgot. Yeah, no, I'm good. Pass."

A smaller percentage are probably straight or ace, but most probably enjoy the company of other women. I sincerely doubt 5,000 years or however old they are pass without that just being the norm Diana is raised with. It makes sense, more than with most other characters the argument is made to change their orientation. I don't always agree, but on Diana I just don't see how even those who don't agree with the change can say it makes no sense.

Is it possible she's hetero? Sure, but I wouldn't say likely.
    I mean, in the movie an Amazon named Cilo wrote a treatises on bodily pleasure... (And it wasn't between men and women...)

Of course not and I'm trying to state the opposite.

My argument is that the amazons aren't like the greek myth at all, and thus they don't fornicate with men passing by. They are, as we have seen since the 1940s, an isolated society and any amazon that stayed there for 36 lifetimes (3000 years) would most certainly be bisexual if not gay.

This all comes down to a comment someone made that seemed to imply that Wonder Woman being bisexual might not make sense. Her groing up only knowing bisexual or gay women doesn't mean that she couldn't be straight, but it seems to me like that plus the fact that she is supposed to be an open person with an extraordinary capacity to love tell me that her being bisexual feels in synch with her core themes.
    I've long said that the Amazons are usually portrayed as one surface level Greek. They're very American, and that's fine.

Overall, I think her themes could apply to a straight or lesbian woman just fine, but bisexual feels most accurate even if we've never seen too much beyond subtext.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I mean, in the movie an Amazon named Cilo wrote a treatises on bodily pleasure... (And it wasn't between men and women...)
    Steve's reaction in that scene was so good. You could tell his early 20th century upbringing wasn't ready to hear any of that. lol

I'm still shocked by how Chris Pine played Steve Trevor. If you've seen his other movies you would totally expect him to be like Steve Trevor from the 2009 film. But nope, he's actually a handsome confident man that doesn't feel the need to press onto others his qualities. I'm sure he spent a lot of nights before the war trying to talk himself up to women, but I feel like the war changed him. Made him more serious.

That boat scene in particular revealed so much about Steve through the things he could've said but didn't, and why that might be. The subtext was so good. I can't think of another superhero movie with a scene like that.

Steve's reaction in that scene was so good. You could tell his early 20th century upbringing wasn't ready to hear any of that. lol
    You could see the gears in his early 20th century brain as he was trying to comprehend what she was saying. XD

I'm still shocked by how Chris Pine played Steve Trevor. If you've seen his other movies you would totally expect him to be like Steve Trevor from the 2009 film. But nope, he's actually a handsome confident man that doesn't feel the need to press onto others his qualities. I'm sure he spent a lot of nights before the war trying to talk himself up to women, but I feel like the war changed him. Made him more serious.

That boat scene in particular revealed so much about Steve through the things he could've said but didn't, and why that might be. The subtext was so good. I can't think of another superhero movie with a scene like that.
    I like how well Steve took everything but not to the point that it was unrealistic. Also I think I head somewhere that parts of the boat scene were improved.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    You could see the gears in his early 20th century brain as he was trying to comprehend what she was saying. XD

I like how well Steve took everything but not to the point that it was unrealistic. Also I think I head somewhere that parts of the boat scene were improved.
    Yeah. You could see the schoolboy blush he was suppressing at the concept of two women being intimate-- how scandalous! That's not missionary for the purpose of procreation!! My god, the insanity. He was just not ready at all. lol

He played it so well as someone ready to accept new things in the world but struggling with the values it tried to instill in him. Really well-played.

Much as I don't want him back a third time (y'all killed him, you have to live with that decision), I'll miss his Steve Trevor.

Yes, I like Steve too (but omg don’t bring him back again, lol)

Chris Pine said it was his final WW movie anyway.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Yeah WW needs a movie without a love interest, maybe flirt a little but nothing concrete. If Gal agrees to WW4 then we can bring one back.

Alright my controversial opinion: Steve Trevor should be Bi
    Also I feel like poly relationships should be considered

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Alright my controversial opinion: Steve Trevor should be Bi
    Also I feel like poly relationships should be considered
    I'd be cool with both