Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
Azzarello really is bizarro Marston. (Of course, Morrison's Earth One is also bizarro Marston. Now I'm afraid some future writer will attempt to pick up all the bad ideas from both of those runs.)
In fairness, there were bad ideas in Marston's run. Women being superior to men is not true feminism so the basic idea of calling that out is not a bad one. They just went overboard with it, more so Azzarello than Morrison. The latter at least showed what Hercules did to them to justify their thinking, and they are also ancient and not part of our society so they are not going to have PC views about our world. And there are only two overly hostile Amazons in that book, Hippolyta and Mala, and there is plenty of precedent in canon for the former's behavior (she did after all wipe her daughter's memories of Steve's death without her consent to spare her from grief, among other examples). Once Diana allowed the whole conflict to be resolved peacefully, all threats towards Steve ceased and I cannot imagine the New 52 Amazons doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
The amazzons were a caricature of modern men-hating feminists, the crazies that pour bleach on the crotches of men who spread their legs on the subway and other crazy things like that. The idea was to have Diana bring much-much-needed reform to them which, to my mind, made Wonder Woman so much more relevant as a women's icon in the 21st century than whacking a red penis monster and the XY misogynist gang lol
Such a depiction is not necessarily more relevant. If Diana is shown to be the only good thing to come off of Paradise Island, then the whole mythos is a joke and misses the point of Marston's original intentions with subverting the Amazon myth. Especially when a writer doesn't even deem it necessary to show why/how they developed their attitudes, Morrison at least showed Hercules and his armies herding them into rape camps.

If you want over the top man-hating Amazons, that's what Bana-Mighdall and Venturia are for, don't use Paradise Island. And the former in the Perez run had more exploration of motives than the New 52 Amazons did.