Page 32 of 439 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    We need a lot more Wonder concepts brought to the forefront to deepen her mythology and explore more of her world and tackle important themes. I don't need these to be parallels to the spaces and places that Superman and Batman operate, but they're there and they'd invariably help in fleshing out characters and stories in the Wonder world:

Metropolis is to Gotham is to [REDACTED] - Diana needs her own fictional city that reflects part of her nature. (I've settled on my idea for that city and it's name.)

Wayne Manor is to Smallville is to Themyscira. It's home and where their Bildungsroman tales began.

The Batcave is to the Fortress of Solitude is to ???. Where's Diana's unique space, that's all her own an reflects her Wonder-ness.

The Past is to Krypton is Themyscira, or perhaps Olympus. This one is a bit tricky, depending on how you approach Diana, but I'd argue that Bruce Wayne can never get his parents back, Superman can never get his home world back, and Diana is an Amazon outlier for choosing to leave paradise and giving up her immortality (again, depending on which version you choose.) But, I'd make the case that thematically she's giving up parts of her family and community for undertaking the role and responsibilities of Wonder Woman. (The "you can never go home again" theme.)

Blackgate Prison and Arkham Asylum is to Striker's Island and the Phantom Zone is to Transformation Island and Doom's Doorway. TI is such a wildly different approach to criminal incarceration and reform, that it boggles my mind that no one has thought to bring this back and use it. I mean, juxtaposed to Arkham, it's such an interesting concept to develop.

WayneTech is to STARLabs and Cadmus is to ARGUS. I've said it before (and I'll keep saying it) that ARGUS is perfectly suited for Diana and her history. A quasi military and peacekeeping force tasked with researching and collecting magical, mystical, technological, alien, etc. artifacts and bringing those who'd use the nature of the DCU for evil to justice. It plays nicely to her history as an intelligence officer, her mythological background, her intelligence and problem-solving skills, her status as an action-adventure hero, her integrity at keeping shadowy government agencies at bay, etc.

WayneTech is to the Daily Planet is to Holliday University. Alongside ARGUS, Diana Prince needs a day job. She'd be perfect as a guest lecturer at Holliday University and speaker/restorer at [REDACTED] City's museums of art and antiquities - run by Helena Sandsmark of course.

The League of Shadows/Assassins and Leviathan is to The 100/Superman Revenge Squad is to Villainy Inc., the Academy of Arch-Villains, Godwatch, etc. The most collectively villainous group we've gotten in the modern age is Godwatch, with a side of Villainy Inc. in the Jimenez run. Not that The 100 or SRS have shown up a lot, but it's incredibly frustrating that we haven't seen groups of Wonder foes band together, build relationships with one another, and tear each other apart. It's exciting when a writer taps into the interpersonal relationships of villains. We need more of that.

I could go on and on about the invisible jet and Catwoman and Lois Lane and the Batfamily and Superfam, but that's enough for now. You get the point.

I swear if I could be the editor for a Wonder office and was given two great writers, artists, pencilists, colorists, etc., and two bimonthly titles, I could revolutionize the World of Wonder with added depth and meaningful places and spaces to explore Wonder Woman as a character. Call me DC!
    That seems to be exactly how you're portraying them though.

I also don't get this idea that Diana shouldn't be allowed back to Themyscira since the point of the character is reuniting the Amazon world with Man's World. She isn't Superman or Batman so why does she have to lose her family to gain a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That seems to be exactly how you're portraying them though.

I also don't get this idea that Diana shouldn't be allowed back to Themyscira since the point of the character is reuniting the Amazon world with Man's World. She isn't Superman or Batman so why does she have to lose her family to gain a new one?
    I am, in that if someone has a great idea for them or something else, they don’t need to be parallels. But they’re there. I would expect that the approach to criminal rehabilitation on Transformation Island would be very different than Arkham resulting in different stories you can do with the theme. Holliday University opens up a whole other avenue of storytelling possibilities that’d be remarkably different than WayneTech or the Daily Planet.

It’s also a comment on all these great things that aren’t be utilized in the Wonder World, but get used all the time in the Superman lore and Batman mythos.

I don’t think she has to lose Themyscira at all, but thematically it changes when she changes and chooses to leave. She loses a bit of what she was before when she becomes Wonder Woman. The same thing happens to Bruce Wayne when he goes on his extended trip to learn to become Batman. Home is not the home he knew when he returns and he’s seriously not the same as when he left.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 05-21-2019 at 06:39 AM.

I am, in that if someone has a great idea for them or something else, they don’t need to be parallels. But they’re their. I would expect that the approach to criminal rehabilitation on Transformation Island would be very different than Arkham resulting in different stories you can do with the theme. Holliday University opens up a whole other avenue of storytelling possibilities that’d be remarkably different than WayneTech or the Daily Planet.

It’s also a comment on all these great things that aren’t be utilized in the Wonder World, but get used all the time in the Superman lore and Batman mythos.

I don’t think she has to lose Themyscira at all, but thematically it changes when she changes and chooses to leave. She loses a bit of what she was before when she becomes Wonder Woman. The same thing happens to Bruce Wayne when he goes on his extended trip to learn to become Batman. Home is not the home he knew when he returns and he’s seriously not the same as when he left.
    Paradise Island used to be Diana's Batcave, before it started swallowing the whole comic, post-Crisis. I think it can and should be that, again.

I could accept a house or hall at Holliday College, in Georgetown or DC, as her Daily Planet or base-of-operations, ..in lieu of a city. This could be a recurring place for WW characters (Maggie, Aphrodite, Ferdinand, etc) to interact, between far-flung adventures. Perhaps, Diana could be its resident...crypto-archaeologist? Something like that...
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Paradise Island used to be Diana's Batcave, before it started swallowing the whole comic, post-Crisis. I think it can and should be that, again.

I could accept a house or hall at Holliday College, in Georgetown or DC, as her Daily Planet or base-of-operations, ..in lieu of a city. This could be a recurring place for WW characters (Maggie, Aphrodite, Ferdinand, etc) to interact, between far-flung adventures. Perhaps, Diana could be its resident...crypto-archaeologist? Something like that...
    I like (or am stuck on, depending on your POV) a city, because it can lend itself thematically to what one of the most historically significant superhero characters is about. It's also a DC thing, and I like those "roots" and, sometimes, contrivances a bit.

It's interesting that you bring up how she lives... a hall, an apartment, etc. I've got her city nailed down for me and her various offices at ARGUS or Holliday University, but not where she lives in terms of a house, apartment, condo, mansion, etc. As I finalize the design and mode of her city, I expect that'll become clearer to me.

I love the crypto-archeologist angle. To me, that falls under the mission of ARGUS too, so it fits nicely in my perspective of Diana's world.

Technically Diana also had just her items with her on hand or in her home. So she can have both. Why not have part of her home be a pocket dimension? That this is where she creates or holds her items she needs.

The best and most unique personal role conflict for Diana would be for her to juggle her role as the spokesperson for the superhero community with her political role as Themyscira's messenger and envoy to Man's World.

Basically, the drama of maintaining a secret identity has been done to death, but here she has an intrinsic conflict that no other superhero can match. As active 24/7, high-profile, and trained in rhetorics, Diana is uniquely placed as the public face of not only the Justice League but the entire superhero community. But she is also in Man's World with a clear political and moral mission.

Potential openings for drame are that Diana wants to push her political agendas, but gets pushback from the other superheroes not only because they don't agree, but because it makes the public think all superheroes are SJWs. Or the Justice League wants Diana to defend some action that she didn't agree on.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The best and most unique personal role conflict for Diana would be for her to juggle her role as the spokesperson for the superhero community with her political role as Themyscira's messenger and envoy to Man's World.

Basically, the drama of maintaining a secret identity has been done to death, but here she has an intrinsic conflict that no other superhero can match. As active 24/7, high-profile, and trained in rhetorics, Diana is uniquely placed as the public face of not only the Justice League but the entire superhero community. But she is also in Man's World with a clear political and moral mission.

Potential openings for drame are that Diana wants to push her political agendas, but gets pushback from the other superheroes not only because they don't agree, but because it makes the public think all superheroes are SJWs. Or the Justice League wants Diana to defend some action that she didn't agree on.
    I love this idea - I've always thought that without a secret ID, Diana is the perfect spokesperson for the superhero community at large. How many full-time, non-secret ID heroes exist in the DCU? I think it gives her a unique niche.

Boisterously Confused

I like (or am stuck on, depending on your POV) a city, because it can lend itself thematically to what one of the most historically significant superhero characters is about. It's also a DC thing, and I like those "roots" and, sometimes, contrivances a bit.

It's interesting that you bring up how she lives... a hall, an apartment, etc. I've got her city nailed down for me and her various offices at ARGUS or Holliday University, but not where she lives in terms of a house, apartment, condo, mansion, etc. As I finalize the design and mode of her city, I expect that'll become clearer to me.

I love the crypto-archeologist angle. To me, that falls under the mission of ARGUS too, so it fits nicely in my perspective of Diana's world.
    Particularly with DC's shared-verse, I'm also a big fan of the characters having defined "turf." It somewhat dilutes the question of "why didn't 'x' show up to help out," it provides backbone for world-building (especially if you use the imaginary city approach), and it just helps build the character's brand.

But this is where it wouldn’t matter. If Diana shares her secret is with any of the people like steve or Etta their life’s wouldn’t be endanger. The issue comes with how can Diana even get peace either way. Her normal friends can get killed. I already came up with a plan. Maybe Diana gives them something that protects them fr being discovered. I feel the same with Diana. Even if she doesn’t have secret Id I still think her home and other things she does in life she does in her free time. The pazzz should be able to find her. I like the idea she can mask herself. I mean how else is she suppose to get money

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I love this idea - I've always thought that without a secret ID, Diana is the perfect spokesperson for the superhero community at large. How many full-time, non-secret ID heroes exist in the DCU? I think it gives her a unique niche.
    Also, Diana being the Deputy Chair of the Justice League… that's weaksauce. She should be the Secretary General.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I want to see this city! Ar-rrg! Sounds exciting!

I, too, would like to see her get one, because it's a DC thing for the most famous characters. I think she rates her own iconic city.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I want Gateway to be a actually Gateway. A city what looks normal but Diana can use portals to go to other places Diana can live near the forest where mermaids and other interesting myths animals

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I want Gateway to be a actually Gateway. A city what looks normal but Diana can use portals to go to other places Diana can live near the forest where mermaids and other interesting myths animals
    I want an iconic gate-way city, too. I think it would be so emblematic of how Diana came to us - a heroine, who willingly leaves her world to save ours! It's a GREAT idea, ..in a comic that hasn't produced a lot of great ideas, since the mid-1970s. The star-gate would also make it the perfect 'x-files capital' of the DCU, as it would admit Babylonian gods, extraterrestrials, time-travelers...

And spectres, of course.

However, ..I differ with you in that my iconic gateway need not be Gateway City, which people, my age, typically associate with the Spectre. I favor the idea of giving Diana a super-Washington on a famous waterway ..that would combine your space portal idea with my hyper-militarized city idea. I want uniformed military personnel, war machines - tanks, jeeps, helicopters - over-sized statuary, giant obelisks, forested parks, urban towers and weird beings, ..EVERY-where! While I am partial to Georgetown, I can imagine it being called Marston City, Virginia Shore, Armory City or something else.

A fictional Georgetown could retroactively stand-in for the Georgetown district in Washington, DC, allowing writers to establish that Diana has been in this city, all along. If it was close enough to DC, ..artists could use the Washington monuments, the Memorials and other iconic federal buildings in the background, without having to base her in real-world Washington, DC. All of that could further the idea that she's been here, in the fictional city, all along, ..even though we didn't know it. Furthermore, since major, classic player, Etta Candy, has already been established as living in a Georgetown, somewhere near DC, I could see this continuity established, easily and retroactively.

If this is what it would take to give Diana her own iconic city, I think it's worth it. Now, ..how about Donna Troy in neighboring Oliveburn, Virginia, and Prince Jason taking over Herc's cottage, northwest in Twin Pea...I meant 'Elexinore'?

Of course, none of this can happen without massive editorial planning and coordination - an initiative for which there seems to be no support in the Bat-office, at DC Comics. So...not very hopeful, over here, that I'll ever see it happen, and I guess that's because it is apparently ..so controversial.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-23-2019 at 03:39 AM. Reason: clarity and content

Why does Dc not allow Diana to be a Tactician and strategic at times? I mean JL needs one. And at times they forget she is Kobe of the best.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Why does Dc not allow Diana to be a Tactician and strategic at times? I mean JL needs one. And at times they forget she is Kobe of the best.
    In JL, DC doesn't want her crowding Batman's space, and too many writers see her as Xena plus a rope.