Page 38 of 438 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Should the Amazons remain isolationist or just be somewhat involved in the outside world? For example, they go ever few centuries to go find magical items they have hidden when they first were in the outside world. However, they will take children or women with them who society treated badly. That way it examples where the children came from

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Should the Amazons remain isolationist or just be somewhat involved in the outside world? For example, they go ever few centuries to go find magical items they have hidden when they first were in the outside world. However, they will take children or women with them who society treated badly. That way it examples where the children came from
    I think the Amazons should remain an isolated, secret civilization. The Amazons can have adventures in the time stream, alien worlds, other dimensions...yada'yada. They don't need to hang out, at the Starbucks. However, I do think Mala should travel to Man's World to serve Diana, in the fashion that Wintergreen serves Deathstroke the Terminator.

I would ignore the sex pirates meta-myth and trade that in for a festival with their brother nation, the Gargareans of Thalarion, the Isle of Heroes*.

*The Isle of Heroes, or the White Isle, is a true mythological setting and a geographical location. Zeus sent Achilles to the Isle, after his death in battle, at Troy.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-20-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Boisterously Confused

Isolationist for two reasons:
    First, we don't need Wonder Woman's brand getting diluted by swarms of Amazon's running around the DCU.
    Second, the DCU is weird enough without injecting the Amazons into it's geopolitical landscape. One of the issues I have with Modern Marvel is that they used The Inhumans, Wakandans, and Mutants in such a way that their world is now unrelatable to me.

I'm not saying they should be running around rather just gathering items they have left.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Well, it could kill, but it had a lot of grappling moves as well. And given that grappling techniques are considered very useful in all sorts of fighting with weapons (especially in armour), it could be a good basis.

The main thing about pankration is that we don't know a lot about how it was done (apart from some descriptions from matches and some pictures on pottery). The movie I think did a rather interesting synthesis of various styles, but I'd like to see some more punching and definitely more grappling with throws and holds for submission.

There is a very interesting analysis of Wonder Woman's movie fighting styles over on Yotube. Well worth a look, if you haven't seen it.
    We do know a good amount due to how "wrestling" was depicted in the descriptions of the Olympic games of the era. Pankration had quite a lot of grappling, but it wasn't "nice" unless the person using it wanted to be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by hgzip View Post
    Instead, all action is reserved for the male characters, and Diana is taken down by a character that I had to google first to find out who she's supposed to be: Captain Teela.
    Teela's a lot stronger than most give her credit for. She's one of the people He-Man calls when he needs backup.

I prefer their stance as provided by Archons Philippus and Artemis where they do not engage in trade or other interactions with Patriarch's World.

I'm curious what about other characters? Characters like Clea had some interactions with the amazons. So what it be wrong to say Amazons at least have some interactions with other mythical beings?

I liked the storyline in Perez's run when the Amazons revealed themselves to Patriarch's World. I go for something like that again, with them being somewhat hesitant, and somewhat curious, about doing so.

My in view, it'd need to play out in pieces over the long run to due the storyline justice, but I'm intrigued by all the sociological, political, economic, anthropological, archeological, mythological, diplomatic, ecological, etc. implications and how they'd play out for various specific characters.

I'm curious what about other characters? Characters like Clea had some interactions with the amazons. So what it be wrong to say Amazons at least have some interactions with other mythical beings?
    As an ancient time's past storyline, I have one idea for Hippolyta and Antiope and a group of Amazons (before their emigration to Paradise) having a run in with Nabu, Vandal Savage, Isis, Teth Adam, Khufu, Chay-ara, Mamaragan (The Wizard), the Circle of Eternity, someone utilizing the Orb of Ra, a Homo Magi character (an ancient ancestor of Zatanna), Circe, Zauriel, Oberon and Titania, the wielder of the Tantu Totem, Kha-Ef-Re the wielder of the Blue Beetle Scarab, Wotan, and Arion, who all have team up, or find a way to work together, to stop a Wonder Woman foe.

It'd be told by Hippolyta as an introduction to this malevolent force making its grand return and targeting the world and Diana, Princesss of the Amazons.

I think they should be accessible, if nothing else. Themscria is such a great setting and it seems a shame to have it go to waste if Diana cant get back home.

I'd like the Amazons to be somewhat akin to Wakanda as far as their involvement in the outside world goes. They've kept to themselves for the most part over the centuries, with perhaps a few interactions here and there. But once Diana takes up the gods' mission the Amazons slowly become more involved in geo-political affairs.

Just makes sense to me, if Diana is going to have ties to government and the military (working with the DMA, Argus, the Army, etc) then that naturally gravitates to her homeland becoming involved as well, to one degree or another.

I dont, however, want them treated as just another island with a native population that doesn't care about the outside world. Put the Island at the foot of Mount Olympus or something; in a different dimension and really hard to reach, but not impossible.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Stories about human or low powered assassins going after Diana are bad because of how much logic they ignore to work:

- Diana has powers rivaling that of Superman so killing her is difficult enough already.

- Unlike Superman, she doesn't have a rule against killing.

- Even is such assassins are able to kill her they'd have to deal with the Amazons, the Justice League and multiple government agencies coming down their heads.

Now Superman has human villains. It only works if they have something to equal to help them fight with Diana. I mean characters like Blue Snowman would have to get something to help her.

Spectacular Member

She should've had her own video games by now. An arkham spider man type open world game. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I liked the storyline in Perez's run when the Amazons revealed themselves to Patriarch's World. I go for something like that again, with them being somewhat hesitant, and somewhat curious, about doing so.

My in view, it'd need to play out in pieces over the long run to due the storyline justice, but I'm intrigued by all the sociological, political, economic, anthropological, archeological, mythological, diplomatic, ecological, etc. implications and how they'd play out for various specific characters.
    I do think the subject is worthy of exploration in Elseworlds style but not with anti Amazon sentiment a la Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I do think the subject is worthy of exploration in Elseworlds style but not with anti Amazon sentiment a la Morrison.
    I think there's a lot of potential in exploring the socio-political aspects of the Amazons revealing themselves. I mean, a highly advanced race of super women who show up with a very well defined philosophy that goes against big chunks of the world's opinions? That's a fascinating idea, and throwing Diana in the middle of it as the de-facto ambassador while also being a Leaguer and hero? That's some great stuff!

I dont need it being crazy heavy handed, nor do I want the Amazons written two-dimensionally, either as the clear moral superior nor as the clear moral inferior. Let their culture be as complex as any other, with good and bad points both.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.