Page 287 of 440 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297337387 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,305 of 6590
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    TBF you could easily argue that those things Aquaman did are outliers considering he's never shown anything capable of doing that solo without fully exerting himself. On the flip side Diana hasn't shown a ton of feats to put her above Aquaman for the past 10 or so years, so.... its kind of annoying. Diana "fighting" Darkseid doesn't help all that much because people will say she hasn't done anything to put her on a level that is capable of challenging him. Meanwhile, Superman, Green Lantern, Shazam, Supergirl etc... get moments after moments of action showing off their physical strengths.
    It ca not be called outliers because it has been consistent for 10 years ago. In comics they are presented as equals when they face each other. But in terms of individual feats. AQ has better feats now in comics. In movies AQ has been getting bettrer feats than her too. And even overpowered on land in their fight during the latest DC animated film. So it has become a consistent thing. But hey, people here seem to think that it is ok for Diana to be weaker than Aquaman. That is a great position for her it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    No!

You told me "I should be happy it was released during covid"

There is nothing to be happy about. Nothing at all!

You use real people's fear of dying from a virus to try and make a claim that is because WW84 is bad.

There was no vaccine when WW84 was released in theaters. People didn't go because they feared for their lives. And you manipulate that fear for the argument of a movie you don't like.

You took it too far.
    No, you are the one interpreting my words as you please. I never meant it that way. You are the one putting words in my mouth. Saying i made fun of people dying. You are the one who took it too far.

But still, i apologize if i offended anybody. It was not my intetion. And i would never wish people death to talk bad about a movie i didn't like. I'm sorry if my words made anybody feel attacked.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 07-31-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    In fairness, it is amsazing all the effort people make to come up with excuses for WB and DC and they way they treat the WW lore. It has been more than 60 years. And we are still here looking at excuses to why they may not be treating WW as bad as we think they are. What an effort guys.
    ...?

The entire second half that post of mine is straight-up lambasting WB/DC for their treatment of WW when in comparison to the opportunities they give Superman and Batman (my rants in the animation thread not clear enough on that?).

The only defense/excuse I'm making is that those shows were probably greenlighted under a different regime, most likely not the current one.

The new Injustice movie doesn't seem any good for Wonder Woman either. Seems like they are doubling down on Diana as "the demon in Superman's ear" personality.

I've been so disappointed in WW media nowadays that I don't know what to say. DC has been driving me away little by little. Although I used to pick up a lot of DC books, WW was my main anchor in DC. Her and Superman are literally my 2 favorite comic characters of all time. So when my interest in them over at DC wanes, it outright affects my investment in the rest of DC as a whole.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Controversial take of the day, partially to try and steer this thread back on topic and away from infighting.

Diana likes her hair straight, but it's so damn curly it reverts overnight and by the end of the evening it's already wavy. Sometimes she doesn't bother, but still she likes to straighten it on occasion.

Hence why it's always in flux.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post
    The new Injustice movie doesn't seem any good for Wonder Woman either. Seems like they are doubling down on Diana as "the demon in Superman's ear" personality.

I've been so disappointed in WW media nowadays that I don't know what to say. DC has been driving me away little by little. Although I used to pick up a lot of DC books, WW was my main anchor in DC. Her and Superman are literally my 2 favorite comic characters of all time. So when my interest in them over at DC wanes, it outright affects my investment in the rest of DC as a whole.
    At my last job, my colleague's girlfriend mentioned she liked the Red Son adaption because it didn't have Wonder Woman simp for Superman.

She doesn't read comics. Her only exposure to the character is multimedia and references in other material, but that's still a common enough theme to have been an issue she takes with Diana at times.

That's pretty telling.

For what it's worth, though, I've yet to meet anyone who liked Diana in Injustice. She's universally reviled in that take.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-31-2021 at 04:33 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Controversial take of the day, partially to try and steer this thread back on topic and away from infighting.

Diana likes her hair straight, but it's so damn curly it reverts overnight and by the end of the evening it's already wavy. Sometimes she doesn't bother, but still she likes to straighten it on occasion.

Hence why it's always in flux.

At my last job, my colleague's girlfriend mentioned she liked the Red Son adaption because it didn't have Wonder Woman simp for Superman.

She doesn't read comics. Her only exposure to the character is multimedia and references in other material, but that's still a common enough theme to have been an issue she takes with Diana at times.

That's pretty telling.

For what it's worth, though, I've yet to meet anyone who liked Diana in Injustice. She's universally reviled in that take.
    I think it's a good thing that so many hate Injustice Diana. It's just when people mistake her for the real-deal that it urks me.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Patty Jenkins has no idea how to write a powerful WW and she will be a main reason why WW3 will likely fail and be a boring mess with unisnspired action scenes. WW3 needs a better director and writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post

I feel you. That Injustice movie combined with the new Superman and Batman shows has currently soured me big time on most of DC at the moment.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I feel you. That Injustice movie combined with the new Superman and Batman shows has currently soured me big time on most of DC at the moment.
    Eh, I don't know. The Injustice thing being our only option is a big slight, but it's a different project unrelated to the other two. Those can be positive and Injustice can be a negative.

As a Superman fan, I'm happy we have a new ongoing solo Superman cartoon for the first time since the 90s even if Wonder Woman not having one ever and needing one still is a bigger deal. If she shows up in that cartoon though I have a little more faith in the creative team behind it to do right by her than Timm did at least.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Eh, I don't know. The Injustice thing being our only option is a big slight, but it's a different project unrelated to the other two. Those can be positive and Injustice can be a negative.

As a Superman fan, I'm happy we have a new ongoing solo Superman cartoon for the first time since the 90s even if Wonder Woman not having one ever and needing one still is a bigger deal. If she shows up in that cartoon though I have a little more faith in the creative team behind it to do right by her than Timm did at least.
    Superman, I'll grant you since he hasn't had the best luck in other media until rather recently and it's not really fair to blame a separate production and unlike the Batman and Injustice movies, it at least looks like a decent premise.

Superman, I'll grant you since he hasn't had the best luck in other media until rather recently and it's not really fair to blame a separate production and unlike the Batman and Injustice movies, it at least looks like a decent premise.
    As a Superman fan, that new show is exactly what I want, so personally even with Injustice being a colossal turd at least we've got some good stuff elsewhere.

Diana, well not so much in multimedia land. Her video game presence coming up is looking pretty grim too. I can only hope that like Superman during the last Fandome, fans start asking where she is in adaptions and DC notices. #Superman was trending HARD after it, so we'll see if the general audience helps her out.
    May we never forget:

I gotta say, as much as I personally enjoyed WW84 for what it was and because, despite my reservations and its problems, it was still a big budget WW film, every single non-comic book fan I know, every single casual moviegoer I know (from couples to families) told me that Diana was a "weakling" in the second movie and that the film was boring. I know that some of y'all think that the first film wasn't that different from the sequel in terms of feats of power for Diana, but general audiences loved the first film. Maybe audiences did not complain about the first film having no huge feats of power because it was a much better told tale with a very compelling emnotional arc, but the thing is that I heard the "she is a weakling" argument a lot, from casual moviegoers. I think that even withing the COVID circumstances, WW84 generated crappy word of of mouth, and I truly believe that, had Covidf not happened, WW84 would have had a fantastic opening (due to the first film's audience goodwill and the fanboy rush factor, but it would've quickly fallen rapidly afterwrds and died a quick death. I would imagine a 175-185 million dollar opening, but a smaller total domestic run than WW (300 million).

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I gotta say, as much as I personally enjoyed WW84 for what it was and because, despite my reservations and its problems, it was still a big budget WW film, every single non-comic book fan I know, every single casual moviegoer I know (from couples to families) told me that Diana was a "weakling" in the second movie and that the film was boring. I know that some of y'all think that the first film wasn't that different from the sequel in terms of feats of power for Diana, but general audiences loved the first film. Maybe audiences did not complain about the first film having no huge feats of power because it was a much better told tale with a very compelling emnotional arc, but the thing is that I heard the "she is a weakling" argument a lot, from casual moviegoers. I think that even withing the COVID circumstances, WW84 generated crappy word of of mouth, and I truly believe that, had Covidf not happened, WW84 would have had a fantastic opening (due to the first film's audience goodwill and the fanboy rush factor, but it would've quickly fallen rapidly afterwrds and died a quick death. I would imagine a 175-185 million dollar opening, but a smaller total domestic run than WW (300 million).
    I enjoyed aspects of WW84 too. I think the hyperbole around that movie is a bit excessive, but what can you do. It's not nearly her Superman IV/Batman and Robin.

DC has conditioned its fans to see Diana as a barbarian hero with a heart of gold. WW84 was a more traditional superhero portrayal, albeit one in which she was getting depowered and the final confrontation wasn't one about physical prowess. It was never going to be a showcase of Diana as a powerhouse. It was decidedly trying to do a more character-driven plot. If that bores you, or if it didn't work for you (and for many it didn't), that's perfectly fair.

But it really wasn't trying to be about Diana punching things or shrugging off missiles. When we saw the villain was Max Lord and Cheetah was being treated as a mid-boss, I knew that going in. Maybe I'm just too old or something.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-31-2021 at 09:34 PM.
    May we never forget:

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

84 spent too much time on the defense and not enough on the offense. It lacked action scenes which is what you want in a superhero movie, especially about an Amazon. While I can enjoy it, I can get the criticisms about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I enjoyed aspects of WW84 too. I think the hyperbole around that movie is a bit excessive, but what can you do. It's not nearly her Superman IV/Batman and Robin.

DC has conditioned its fans to see Diana as a barbarian hero with a heart of gold. WW84 was a more traditional superhero portrayal, albeit one in which she was getting depowered and the final confrontation wasn't one about physical prowess. It was never going to be a showcase of Diana as a powerhouse. It was decidedly trying to do a more character-driven plot. If that bores you, or if it didn't work for you (and for many it didn't), that's perfectly fair.

But it really wasn't trying to be about Diana punching things or shrugging off missiles. When we saw the villain was Max Lord and Cheetah was being treated as a mid-boss, I knew that going in. Maybe I'm just too old or something.
    There is no reason why you can't have a driven character movie and also show the power of the hero. DSpecially when the director said we would see Diana at the highest of her power.

And shrugging off missiles is something that most current versions of WW in comics and other media are not able to do. So i fail to see how i can view this character as a powerhouse at this point. What God or Goddess performs at such low levels like most current versions of WW do?