Page 8 of 440 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    But the implication is, that because she doesn't have a scabbard, she's essentially carrying it in her hand at all times. Azzarello had the right idea; if your going to make her bear a sword, have it so she can disappear them at a moments whim.
    Wasn't the band around her leg in the New 52 supposed to be the scabbard?

Rucka's Ares had the best design and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wasn't the band around her leg in the New 52 supposed to be the scabbard?
    I don't recall it being used in that manner, certainly not in her own run and it certainly doesn't exist in this current run.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Mighty Member

I always wanted to know what was the plan for her before Azzarello signed on to stop them from what they initially wanted for her.

The comic should be a military/political fantasy and sci-fi book and ignoring the military/political side is the reason her rogues are so under-developed.

She can feel too agreeable sometimes and it leads to the character having no personality or sense of identity whatsoever

She doesn't fight enough

I think the main problem with Diana's character has to do with her lack of worldbuilding and not her birth story. I think her character is kind of confusing in a way I don't expect a character like her to be. I know I've talked about her lack of identity before but its a really big problem for the story. I don't understand what it is she is doing now that she lost her connection to Themyscira.

I think the DCU needs to develop the countries outside of America more for her to make sense. It's weird how half of her rogues gallery are war criminals but they operate on such a small scale and seem to never actually cause enough of a problem for her.

Her villains deserve more than a 2 issue story arc when any one of them could carry their own individual arc without even a mention of a god or a mythological monster popping up.

I think the lost connection with themyscira just doesn't hold up enough for me and is a boring plot point that should have never happened.

Rucka dropped the ball with Cheetah after he gave her a backstory. She became somewhat 1 dimensional and flat. I think he should have spent more time establishing a relationship between her and Diana instead of giving her and Etta a relationship.

I would like Simone back on the title at some point but I know she won't do it.

I feel as if Brubaker would be the best wonder woman writer that title has ever seen. I'd like at least one story by him with her and a non-greek myth villain.

I wish the amazons could stop being the political waste-land that they are. I don't think they need to be a paragon of feminism or a caricature of them either. I'd just like them to be a successful society of magic women from a long forgotten past. Their life use to suck but they liberated themselves and moved on. They have some cool things on the island and maybe super powers.

New 52 brought a lot of cool things:
    I like the new 52 Amazons but the murdering of the sailors and the baby boys was a bit much

The sword and shield were good for her.

She needs a villain thats also good with swords and shields.

I like all of her birth stories from Zeus parentage to the weird story in Earth one to the clay baby story.

I just want a version of Diana that was shaped from clay and given life by Aphrodite/Athena to happen in a recent comic story just to keep that version of the character alive.

I can't tell if some of this is due to comics themselves changing or going through a phase or just Wonder Woman but her comics have been particularly boring to me as of late.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 02-03-2019 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    I like the new 52 Amazons but the murdering of the sailors and the baby boys was a bit much
    What did you like about them?

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

I

Did they do anything else other than murdering sailors or selling male babies? What do you like about them?

BANNED

I always wanted to know what was the plan for her before Azzarello signed on to stop them from what they initially wanted for her.

The comic should be a military/political fantasy and sci-fi book and ignoring the military/political side is the reason her rogues are so under-developed.

She can feel too agreeable sometimes and it leads to the character having no personality or sense of identity whatsoever

She doesn't fight enough

I think the main problem with Diana's character has to do with her lack of worldbuilding and not her birth story. I think her character is kind of confusing in a way I don't expect a character like her to be. I know I've talked about her lack of identity before but its a really big problem for the story. I don't understand what it is she is doing now that she lost her connection to Themyscira.

I think the DCU needs to develop the countries outside of America more for her to make sense. It's weird how half of her rogues gallery are war criminals but they operate on such a small scale and seem to never actually cause enough of a problem for her.

Her villains deserve more than a 2 issue story arc when any one of them could carry their own individual arc without even a mention of a god or a mythological monster popping up.

I think the lost connection with themyscira just doesn't hold up enough for me and is a boring plot point that should have never happened.

Rucka dropped the ball with Cheetah after he gave her a backstory. She became somewhat 1 dimensional and flat. I think he should have spent more time establishing a relationship between her and Diana instead of giving her and Etta a relationship.

I would like Simone back on the title at some point but I know she won't do it.

I feel as if Brubaker would be the best wonder woman writer that title has ever seen. I'd like at least one story by him with her and a non-greek myth villain.

I wish the amazons could stop being the political waste-land that they are. I don't think they need to be a paragon of feminism or a caricature of them either. I'd just like them to be a successful society of magic women from a long forgotten past. There life use to suck but they liberated themselves and moved on. They have some cool things on the island and maybe super powers.

The sword and shield were good for her.

She needs a villain thats also good with swords and shields.

I like all of her birth stories from Zeus parentage to the weird story in Earth one to the clay baby story.

I just want a version of Diana that was shaped from clay and given life by Aphrodite/Athena to happen in a recent comic story just to keep that version of the character alive.

I can't tell if some of this is due to comics themselves changing or going through a phase or if Wonder Woman is particularly boring to me as of late.
    The current run with gww is very centered around political/military stuff. But it doesn't feel like it is doing much for the character. When she isn't seen much in it at times. Doesn't really make any big contribution to stop conflicts, and doesn't fight that much either. So what is the point? The truth is WW has had many a list name writers these last 8 years. But many of them didn't show to have much passion to write her, no matter how much they talk about her being an icon and all. It all feels like lip service and little substance. We don't see her deep diplomatic side, and we don't see the powerhouse, epic adventures side of her character either. It's just talking. She is this and that. She stands for this and that, but almost 0 development of anything. It feels like many of the writers of the past 8 years don't care that much about her and her verse. Because with their experience. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have done better. They just did the bare minimum. And it's still feels like this in the current run with gww. Wonder Woman is living of her past glory for me right now. From great stories of the past. Most of her stories these past years are just underwhelming.

BTW. Did something happen with Simone?, why do you say she would never write her book again?
    Last edited by starlight25; 02-03-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    What did you like about them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Did they do anything else other than murdering sailors or selling male babies? What do you like about them?

I liked the way they were flawed. I also liked some of there culture.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    The current run with gww is very centered around political/military stuff. But it doesn't feel like it is doing much for the character. When she isn't seen much in it at times. Doesn't really make any big contribution to stop conflicts, and doesn't fight that much either. So what is the point? The truth is WW has had many a list name writers these last 8 years. But many of them didn't show to have much passion to write her, no matter how much they talk about her being an icon and all. It all feels like lip service and little substance. We don't see her deep diplomatic side, and we don't see the powerhouse, epic adventures side of her character either. It's just talking. She is this and that. She stands for this and that, but almost 0 development of anything. It feels like many of the writers of the past 8 years don't care that much about her and her verse. Because with their experience. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have done better. They just did the bare minimum. And it's still feels like this in the current run with gww. Wonder Woman is living of her past glory for me right now. From great stories of the past. Most of her stories these past years are just underwhelming.

BTW. Did something happen with Simone?, why do you say she would never write her book again?
    I believe a while back she mentioned that she had her chance and that she wanted other writers to have a chance at the character.

I have only skimmed two issues of the recent WW comic and while I don't particularly like them I do think it's a better direction than what the character was doing before with her brother Jason. I also think Wilson admitted that she took a while to figure everything out so I'm willing to see what she does with it. Nonetheless, I don't think the problem with her run will be that she focused on the political/military side of things.

Yeah but Wonder Woman has always talked a lot(with no action) and its been one of the most annoying things about her character for a while. Even though I liked Azzarello's story I think ever since the n52 there has been way less focus on Diana and more focus on everything/everyone else in the story even during Rucka's run Diana felt like she was barely ever there. I think that comes down to her having no real identity.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 02-03-2019 at 04:21 AM.

She doesn't fight enough
    This… is an odd criticism. Could you elaborate on what you mean by this?

Aside from Dr Poison and Red Panzer, how many of her rogues are war criminals?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-03-2019 at 05:01 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    ThisĀ… is an odd criticism. Could you elaborate on what you mean by this?

Aside from Dr Poison and Red Panzer, how many of her rogues are war criminals?
    She usually doesn't fight very much and when she does she is getting beat up or outshown instead of holding her own or winning. She is partially an action hero but she gives more speeches than anything else.

Queen Clea, Dr. Poison, Paula Von Gunther.....I'm sure there are plenty more. They commit acts of slavery, genocide, colonization, prisoner abuse, torture, etc. so they are war criminals.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 02-03-2019 at 05:01 AM.

BANNED

I liked the way they were flawed. I also liked some of there culture.

I believe a while back she mentioned that she had her chance and that she wanted other writers to have a chance at the character.

I have only skimmed two issues of the recent WW comic and while I don't particularly like them I do think it's a better direction than what the character was doing before with her brother Jason. I also think Wilson admitted that she took a while to figure everything out so I'm willing to see what she does with it. Nonetheless, I don't think the problem with her run will be that she focused on the political/military side of things.

Yeah but Wonder Woman has always talked a lot(with no action) and its been one of the most annoying things about her character for a while. Even though I liked Azzarello's story I think ever since the n52 there has been way less focus on Diana and more focus on everything/everyone else in the story even during Rucka's run Diana felt like she was barely ever there. I think that comes down to her having no real identity.
    She used to talk a lot, but also do a lot of things and fight too.
    She doesn't have an identity? Why? Because she is a good girl and not driven by tragedy in her actions? She has an identity. She is the spirit of truth. The objective view. She chose her own path. She didn't become a hero as the result of a tragic backstory. She is not limited by her past, she lives the present. She isn't pessimist, but she isn't naively optimistic either. She keeps it real. And is here to make a difference and help a new world because that's who she is. Somebody driven by a desire to help and find her own place between 2 worlds that she treasures.

The Amazons can be flawed. We have seen them before Azz did. So I'm curious when it comes to the sex raids would you have accepted it if done difficultly?

She usually doesn't fight very much and when she does she is getting beat up or outshown instead of holding her own or winning. She is partially an action hero but she gives more speeches than anything else.
    I've been reading WW for a long time and I certainly don't remember this happening very often. I guess it's just different experiences.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The Amazons can be flawed. We have seen them before Azz did. So I'm curious when it comes to the sex raids would you have accepted it if done difficultly?
    They were beyond flawed. They were flat out irredeemable. In retrospect, keeping them as snakes would’ve been a mercy to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    They were beyond flawed. They were flat out irredeemable. In retrospect, keeping them as snakes would’ve been a mercy to them.
    Agreed. I mean why make them so terrible . I thank God this wasn't the Amazons in rebirth.