Page 439 of 440 FirstFirst ... 339389429435436437438439440 LastLast
Results 6,571 to 6,585 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I kinda hate every time the Amazon's call the outside world "Man's World".
    It's especially weird when you have people like Queen Clea as enemies of the Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Wow, the lack of self-awareness Johns had at this moment is absolutely staggering.
    To be clear, I'm not saying King is as bad as Johns was during that story but the similarities are there to an extent.

The classic costume is much more detrimental and contradictory to her message than the sword. And I am not just talking about how much skin she shows.

Incredible Member

Which elements in particular of the costume, then?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Which elements in particular of the costume, then?
    The American flag motif. Firstly, it makes no sense for Diana since she isn't American. Secondly, no Ambassador wears an outfit based on the country they are serving in. Thirdly, given the US's complicated global image, Diana would be better off if she didn't tie herself so strongly to the US in terms of aesthetics. This is not me saying she should hate the US or not have friends there.

I have always felt that the bird on her chest should more resemble a pigeon than an eagle (it's more thematically fitting with who Diana is) and that the star-spangled bottom should just stay in the past.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 03-30-2024 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Reminds me of how Geoff Johns criticized DC's excessive use of violence and cynicism in Infinite Crisis despite the story shamelessly indulging in that ideology.
    I'm currently revisiting 52 weekly and in first three issue Johns had Black Adam rip off the arm of a terrorist, push his hand thru the the face of Intergang member and kill Terra-Man by ripping him in half. I remember back then I didn't really pay much attention to it, but since DC Rebirth #1 I started looking at this work a bit more critically and his writing approach is really baffling.

The American flag motif. Firstly, it makes no sense for Diana since she isn't American. Secondly, no Ambassador wears an outfit based on the country they are serving in. Thirdly, given the US's complicated global image, Diana would be better off if she didn't tie herself so strongly to the US in terms of aesthetics. This is not me saying she should hate the US or not have friends there.
    It makes sense, if you use the idea Diana was going to the US specifically to help as part of the JL.

Perception of USA has changed over the decades. Just like people now have more problems with Superman's American Way than they did decades ago.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm currently revisiting 52 weekly and in first three issue Johns had Black Adam rip off the arm of a terrorist, push his hand thru the the face of Intergang member and kill Terra-Man by ripping him in half. I remember back then I didn't really pay much attention to it, but since DC Rebirth #1 I started looking at this work a bit more critically and his writing approach is really baffling.
    IDK what it is, but he seems to just love putting classic characters he supposedly loves and putting them through the most hyperviolent/gorl situations possible. I mean, does he honestly think that's mature storytelling?
    Last edited by phonogram12; 03-30-2024 at 10:27 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It makes sense, if you use the idea Diana was going to the US specifically to help as part of the JL.
    The JL doesn't just help America. In fact, at least two of them (not counting Diana) wouldn't qualify as American citizens.

The JL doesn't just help America. In fact, at least two of them (not counting Diana) wouldn't qualify as American citizens.
    that's an interesting question though since the old JLA.... well.. that "A" is for "America". And is why there was a JLI....

anyways... I'm guessing you're thinking of Kal-El, J'Onn J'Onzz, and Arthur Curry. None of them was born on US soil AFAIK.

Kal-El's identity as Clark Kent is a US citizen though.

Arthur Curry, despite counting as a foreign monarch, has a father who WAS a US citizen and lived in Maine. As Aquaman's father doesn't live in Atlantis he had his son do stuff around Maine on US soil and... thus presumably got papers for his son to have citizenship as Arthur Curry.

which leaves J'Onn.... hmm... not sure about him.

If humanity is so awful that it makes Diana quit, that is more of a reflection on humanity than it is Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Perception of USA has changed over the decades. Just like people now have more problems with Superman's American Way than they did decades ago.
    This makes me sad. Why not be all meta and be aspirational by showing a version of the American idealism that we can all aspire to?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    This makes me sad. Why not be all meta and be aspirational by showing a version of the American idealism that we can all aspire to?

Controversial opinion, in comics I miss black hair being highlighted with blue.