Page 41 of 440 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Wonder Woman did go several months without flying in either Justice League or Justice League Dark, it was almost as if Snyder/Tynion were testing the waters...
    Wow, I seriously hope not. I really dislike that idea.

I'm curious how much of Diana's powers should be part of her training and how much should be part of the gods blessings? Should it be 50/50? I don't know what if Diana could fly due to a old Amazon training?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious how much of Diana's powers should be part of her training and how much should be part of the gods blessings? Should it be 50/50? I don't know what if Diana could fly due to a old Amazon training?
    I like 100% training, with no blessings from the gods, and her just like every other Amazon (except more skilled). But it doesn't seem to be the popular opinion.

Controversial WW related opinion. More Wonder Girl/Troia. I don't find it important that Donna was raised on the island or is WW's sister. In the era I mostly read her in (1980-1990 New Teen Titans and some earlier Teen Titans), she rarely expressed any particularly Amazonian beliefs or displayed that much of a relationship with Diana or Hippolyta. I forget they're connected half the time.

Extraordinary Member

I like the idea that the contest was put in place to decide who would be bestowed those powers, personally.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I like the idea that the contest was put in place to decide who would be bestowed those powers, personally.
    I could live with that one. I'm also down with a The Contest And Mission To Man's World Were Steps In A Journey To Unlocking Her Potential approach, which is basically how the Jenkins/Gadot film treated it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I dont really have strong feelings in either direction, but I do like the idea of Diana being pure training. But unless you say all the Amazons are Superman-level strong, that really limits Diana's raw power.

I'm fine with Diana being at Golden Age "lift a tank" levels and having the gear and combat skill to *still* be capable of beating someone like Clark in a fight 7/10 times. I dont think she needs to bench press as much as Clark to be his equal (or superior for that matter). But that is a very unpopular opinion around here.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

But unless you say all the Amazons are Superman-level strong, that really limits Diana's raw power.
    That's what I was going to say - that all are Superman-level strong.

I think she needs to be in the same class as Superman as far as strength goes - maybe not pound-for-pound identical, but close to indistinguishable at a practical level. But much, much more skilled. I like Superman not really learning to fight until he starts facing villains of a similar strength-class. He never needed to before (though he should still be good and paying attention to where those deflected bullets go, keeping civilians safe, etc.). Whereas Diana has been training her entire life. I actually like the idea of Diana being the one to actually teach Superman to fight, though he'll never put in the regular, daily sort of training that she did.

But yes, strength does matter. At a certain point of invulnerability, it matters a lot. I was remembering a story where Dick Grayson (I think) sparred with Cassie Sandsmark and got his butt handed to him. That was a deliberate display - a normal human doesn't stand a chance against a well-trained meta (with those sorts of powers) in a fight. It's just ridiculous for it to be any other way, IMO, which is why (barring kryptonite), Batman should never ever be able to take Superman (or Wonder Woman) in a physical fight. Too often it's acted like powers are all the powered heroes have going for them, and that's generally not the case. But even when is, if the most the opponent blow can do is feel like a 2-year-old hitting them, then there's just almost no way at all the opponent should win. Not that I think heroes should be fighting each other all the time - but DC does love excuses to pit them against each other.

I'm not saying that all the Amazons should be the same level as Superman. Maybe Hippoltya should be able to take on Superman to. I'm just saying how much of Diana's blessing should be because she is blessed? I mean couldn't Diana just lose those blessings? Or maybe Diana herself is able to figure a new way to power herself. I'm just in case Dc goes with her being depowered either by the gods or something else. Should there be another way of Diana is able to be the same as Superman? I would say the Amazons shouldn't be able to be killed by normal weapons easily. Yea a bullet hurts but it shouldn't kill them one two three

I'm the opposite of you, I guess. I do think all Amazons should be as strong as Superman (with no special blessings for Diana) and I do think bullets should be able to kill them (because I'm attached to bracelet-deflecting bullet bit). I think I like the idea of vulnerability to projectiles and sharp edges, but not vulnerable to blunt force. Thought I acknowledge there's no real logical consistency to this.

That's a issue if they are as strong as Superman why should they be superweak to bullets? I think there is a way around this. Amazon bullets are way more dangerous. Much like Diana their will still block it. Even Golden age Diana despite being dangerous it was still a sport and way to sharpest one skill. They still don't want to take a chance. I mean they can redirect the bullets which can be more hopeful than just staying there. Diana can take a bomb but not a bullet?

Spectacular Member

Bullets and bracelets should just be for fun like golden ww stated

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    Bullets and bracelets should just be for fun like golden ww stated
    That brings up what kind of technology the Amazons should have. Sure, they're super-advanced. But why guns - as opposed to so many other techs? Especially as this is a technology they'd never have been exposed to, historically, and not one they'd really have use for (unlike mills, etc.) unless they preferred hunting with them, I guess (I don't think other Amazons were depicted as vegetarians?). Also, how much do they know about the outside world and its technologies? How much do they "import" because it sounds interesting if they do know about it v. develop independently?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That brings up what kind of technology the Amazons should have. Sure, they're super-advanced. But why guns - as opposed to so many other techs? Especially as this is a technology they'd never have been exposed to, historically, and not one they'd really have use for (unlike mills, etc.) unless they preferred hunting with them, I guess (I don't think other Amazons were depicted as vegetarians?). Also, how much do they know about the outside world and its technologies? How much do they "import" because it sounds interesting if they do know about it v. develop independently?
    Originally they knew about outside technology from the Magic Sphere. Through it they could see any invention from the past or the future and reverse engineer it. Post crisis there was only one gun on the island left there by Diana Trevor who died fighting monsters at Doom's Doorway. Her gun was put in a place of honor and used for bullets and bracelets in the contest. During Rebirth the gun came from one of Steve's men who died in the plane crash.

I mean they are seem with both lasers and regular guns. Earth One has them with Laser guns. There is the magically sphere. Another way is having them dealing with other threats on the Island. I mean if they have Ares or the doom gate to worry about they have to make sure they don't just have swords and shields. With Golden Age Amazons they don't use guns but often their skills unless it called for guns. I wonder if they had to keep up with technology without the magic sphere. Maybe there are other contest that some Amazons go outside to see what new tech the man's world has created?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-05-2019 at 05:36 PM.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That's what I was going to say - that all are Superman-level strong.

I think she needs to be in the same class as Superman as far as strength goes - maybe not pound-for-pound identical, but close to indistinguishable at a practical level. But much, much more skilled. I like Superman not really learning to fight until he starts facing villains of a similar strength-class. He never needed to before (though he should still be good and paying attention to where those deflected bullets go, keeping civilians safe, etc.). Whereas Diana has been training her entire life. I actually like the idea of Diana being the one to actually teach Superman to fight, though he'll never put in the regular, daily sort of training that she did.
    This. 'Amazons' should be like Kryptonians or Daxamites, members of a race with inherent high level superpowers. Diana is first among equals among them, not set aside with special advantages unique to her. They don't have to be Superman level out of the box, but they are close, and possibly more effective pound for pound because of their extensive martial training. Diana ought to have a superpowered army at her command: a real army, not members of a league, but a crack unit of soldiers.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison