Page 433 of 440 FirstFirst ... 333383423429430431432433434435436437 ... LastLast
Results 6,481 to 6,495 of 6591

The issue with Diana's vulnerability really boils down to one thing, and it has little to do with her bracelets.

Compare Wolverine, riddled with several bullets...

...with Wonder Woman, nicked by the ricochet of a single bullet...

Diana being vulnerable to edged weapons isn't the problem. It's that she's depicted with no stamina against it whatsoever. Wolverine gets shot or stabbed, and it hurts him...but he's able to keep fighting. Diana? She drops like a stone. Theoretically, a two-bit mugger with a pocket knife poses as much threat to her as Doomsday.

I always say Diana being resistant to gunfire does not equal she's invulnerable or invincible or that she can never get hurt or wounded. She should relay on the bracelets to defend herself from harm. But I do think mere bullets and arrows and knives should stop being treated as legitimate threats to her.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 02-15-2024 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Plus you'd think calling the New 52 version of Diana "not human" would hurt her feeling even more since all the Amazon kids made fun of her and called her "clay".

Ugh...you know, for all we talk of what an insult the Azzarellazons were and how they completely missed the point of Wonder Woman as a whole, ultimately their depiction is just a trite narrative device to make Diana more "relatable."

Fans are supposed to relate to outsiders and characters that don't fit in and get picked on. So, the Amazons are turned into childish bullies who call Diana mean names so she can feel like she doesn't belong, and she's so lonely, and blah-blah-blah. And, yeah, that absolutely feeds into her ship with Superman.

It also relates to how they make Diana, not the best of the Amazons because she's their bravest or most noble or most compassionate, but rather "the only good one" among savages. I guarantee it was either that, or they would've made her the last surviving Amazon period.

Everything about the New 52's Amazons was just painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    The issue with Diana's vulnerability really boils down to one thing, and it has little to do with her bracelets.

Diana being vulnerable to edged weapons isn't the problem. It's that she's depicted with no stamina against it whatsoever. Wolverine gets shot or stabbed, and it hurts him...but he's able to keep fighting. Diana? She drops like a stone. Theoretically, a two-bit mugger with a pocket knife poses as much threat to her as Doomsday.

I always say Diana being resistant to gunfire does not equal she's invulnerable or invincible or that she can never get hurt or wounded. She should relay on the bracelets to defend herself from harm. But I do think mere bullets and arrows and knives should stop being treated as legitimate threats to her.
    At least when Rucka had her get shot she was more surprised/pissed then hurt.

Plus she always has to get shot and the end of an issue to make it more ~dramatic~
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

The reason the Wolverines and the Sabretooths keep moving when they get shot is because of the Berserker Rage power and to be fair if an attack manages to bypass Superman's invulnerability, he keels over too.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

One of my biggest pet peeves is when writers have Diana call Steve...Steven.

As a person who has a name that has a lot of nicknames attached to it, I hate when someone calls me a variation I myself did not introduce to you. If I say I prefer "Will," do not call me William or Willy or Billy or Bill, etc. If I say Will, call me Will.

I actually find it grating and rude and condescending whenever I see Diana call Steve...Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The reason the Wolverines and the Sabretooths keep moving when they get shot is because of the Berserker Rage power and to be fair if an attack manages to bypass Superman's invulnerability, he keels over too.
    I've seen Wolverine tank bullets without going into Berserker rage.
    And the difference with Superman is things that can actually hurt him are, in-universe, rare and hard to acquire. Guns and knives are common.

Another opinion, maybe controversial to some:
    The Artemis and Jason Todd ship sucks. Further proof Wonder Woman's world needs to stay far, far away from Batman's world.

The Artemis/Jason thing is just plain weird. Shouldn't she be way older than him?

-WW can be invulnerable to bullets but still deflect them with her bracelets because blocking bracelets is a sport and a customs on Themyscira rather than something she does because she has to. It's a demonstration of her speed and reflexes. Whether she is invulnerable to bullets or just durable to it, I'm fine either way.

-The heart of the WW franchise isn't Diana/Steve, it's Diana/Hippolyta. It's a mother-daughter story. The mother who had seen the worst of humanity leading her to isolate her people and protect her only child from the danger and the daughter who wants to explore the world and use her abilities to make a difference and figure out herself where her mother was right and where she was wrong. They have inherited enemies in the form of Ares and Circe. Hence why you have that arc with Hippolyta not wanting Diana to leave Paradise Island, the schism between them when Hippolyta does something underhanded in the name of protecting Diana be it letting Artemis die in Diana's place or wiping Diana's mind of her memory of Steve, dealing with each other's respective death and resurrection and the often heartwarming reunion moments between them.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    One of my biggest pet peeves is when writers have Diana call Steve...Steven.

As a person who has a name that has a lot of nicknames attached to it, I hate when someone calls me a variation I myself did not introduce to you. If I say I prefer "Will," do not call me William or Willy or Billy or Bill, etc. If I say Will, call me Will.

I actually find it grating and rude and condescending whenever I see Diana call Steve...Steven.
    I get it, I have a cousin named Bobby that had a girlfriend that made a point of always calling him "Robert" it was so pretentious it annoyed everyone in the family, even his mother that gave him that name. We were all so happy when he finally got rid of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    The Artemis/Jason thing is just plain weird. Shouldn't she be way older than him?
    No, supposedly (and this makes no sense because she was clearly an adult) Artemis was only 14 when we first met her and she aged ten years when Circe had the Themyscirans and Bana fighting a demon horde in another dimension for a decade, so that makes her around Jason's age.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I dont know if it is so much of a controversial opinion....but I think ALL Themiscryian Amazons should have the same bracelets. Forged from the same thing. Diana's shouldnt be different. Uniformity across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I dont know if it is so much of a controversial opinion....but I think ALL Themiscryian Amazons should have the same bracelets. Forged from the same thing. Diana's shouldnt be different. Uniformity across the board.
    Kind of in reaction to this but while I don't see a problem with something like the bracelets all being the same but overall I'm not a fan of the idea Diana shouldn't be any different from regular Amazons. I get the idea of "any woman can be WW" or the Spider-Verse "anyone can wear the mask" idea but overall I view attempts to make Diana "less special" kind of pointless. If I was a conspiratorial nature, I'd even go to suggest it's another variation of DC wants to use WW iconography but not Diana herself.

Even from day one she's the Queens daughter, so she's already in a privileged position amongst her peers, I think making all potential kids on Themyscira being clay babies takes away from the scene for Hippolyta and Diana's creation, and I don't really see a problem with Diana having powers during something like the contest. The actual important part of the contest is Diana defying her mother, not if it was actually fair from an in-universe perspective as if it were a real sporting competition.

It just reminds of all those bad faith criticisms of Batman being a "beat up poor people fantasy".
    Last edited by Gaius; 02-18-2024 at 07:14 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Kind of in reaction to this but while I don't see a problem with something like the bracelets all being the same but overall I'm not a fan of the idea Diana shouldn't be any different from regular Amazons. I get the idea of "any woman can be WW" or the Spider-Verse "anyone can wear the mask" idea but overall I view attempts to make Diana "less special" kind of pointless. If I was a conspiratorial nature, I'd even go to suggest it's another variation of DC wants to use WW iconography but not Diana herself.

Even from day one she's the Queens daughter, so she's already in a privileged position amongst her peers, I think making all potential kids on Themyscira being clay babies takes away from the scene for Hippolyta and Diana's creation, and I don't really see a problem with Diana having powers during something like the contest. The actual important part of the contest is Diana defying her mother, not if it was actually fair from an in-universe perspective as if it were a real sporting competition.
    I do find it a bit funny that DeConnick argued against Diana being more special than other Amazons, and while arguing valid points, her story did still set up Diana as being more special. To the point of potentially eliminating the need for the contest altogether

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I do find it a bit funny that DeConnick argued against Diana being more special than other Amazons, and while arguing valid points, her story did still set up Diana as being more special. To the point of potentially eliminating the need for the contest altogether
    The nature of ultimately being a prequel. You can write the greatest sci-fi story ever with Jor-El but you still got to put Clark on a rocket at the end of it.

In fairness to DeConnick her critiques were also rooted in how disposable the Amazons are usually treated, even in WW stories not just wider DC "we need a body count for this JL/BOP story" crap. Like when she cites them all being killed by regular German soldiers in the first film.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The nature of ultimately being a prequel. You can write the greatest sci-fi story ever with Jor-El but you still got to put Clark on a rocket at the end of it.

In fairness to DeConnick her critiques were also rooted in how disposable the Amazons are usually treated, even in WW stories not just wider DC "we need a body count for this JL/BOP story" crap. Like when she cites them all being killed by regular German soldiers in the first film.
    I do otherwise agree with her every step of the way.

The Amazons still won that fight in the movie, but even one of them dying against WW1 era soldiers feels wrong.