Page 422 of 440 FirstFirst ... 322372412418419420421422423424425426432 ... LastLast
Results 6,316 to 6,330 of 6591

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    My official position on the New 52 is that it should have been an Ultimates style line. Not touching the mainstream line. I think there were a lot of cool ideas there that could have been worked with on their own.
    I'm curious as to what the "cool ideas" were? Daddy Zeus is still in effect, more or less, but they may finally be getting rid of that element. I'd be fine with them bringing back Godmode, the Swiss Army bracelets and some of the designs of the gods. Lennox, Milan and Cassandra would be okay too.

Incredible Member

I was just in the Animation thread, and it made me think of my unpopular opinion. I would love a Wonder Woman: Sacrifice retelling. In this sense, I would like to see the Sacrifice story told from Diana's perspective. I don't think it needs to be a 1:1 retelling, so include her supporting cast, inform us of her adventures, rogue gallery, her thoughts on heroism, flashbacks to ideology regarding killing an opponent in battle on Themyscira, etc. Then the confrontation with Superman and Maxwell Lord. Obviously, this should be an elseworlds.

Targeting Diana's loved ones should always be portrayed as the most suicidally stupid thing a villain can do. You're talking about a woman who is not only one of the most powerful and well-trained heroes of the DCU but also has numerous allies in the superhero, magical and divine communities and is the princess of what is (sometimes) a country with access to technology, magic and weapons few can match.

Any villain who tries to pull a Gwen Stacy on Diana's friends and family should be treated as the biggest moron on the planet.

I don't like when Diana uses Pegasus. Even if it's an interpretation where she can't/doesn't fly, I'd rather she rely on the Invisible Jet.

Pegasus is just more of creators treating mythology as an cheap, automatic-pilot free-idea bucket.

League of One would have worked just as well with Diana's supporting cast in place of the League.

Incredible Member

I've been rereading Rucka's second Wonder Woman run. My unpopular opinion is Liam Sharp is an amazing artist, but I hated the way he drew Etta. He made her extremely unattractive, and in some panels, she looks deep into her 50s. In The Truth arc with the cover of Team Poison, there's a closeup of Etta that makes her look like she's in her 60s. I like that newer artists draw her more attractive and youthful.

I want a Villainy Inc. that is co-led by Dr. Poison and Dr. Cyber. Rucka and Bloodlines struck gold with their interactions. I like having Silver Swan in Villainy Inc.

While King is still early in his run, I don't find his first three issues as enthralling as Rucka's first three for either Year One or The Lies.

Now that Dr. Poison has firmly returned to the comics, I don't mind Colonel Poison. I actually kinda like this interpretation now that I know it isn't the permanent reimagining I was originally afraid it would be.

The day all Wonder Woman fans accept that pants are not misogynistic is the day we will have achieved equality.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-27-2023 at 01:26 AM.

Folks, let's stay on topic.

It is out of line to start declaring all fans of WW as being X, Y, or Z. Discuss the topic, not the posters, and do not insult the fandom, *any* fandom, as a whole
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

I've always liked the first issue of Amazons Attack (2007). It was only in the subsequent installments that things fell apart and got more and more stupid. Number 1 however is golden, if you can get past the murder of an innocent little boy and his father. Regrettably their deaths were needed for shock value and to let every reader know the Amazons didn't come to play around. Besides the art, what I like about it is the breadth and the scope.

That's A LOT of Amazons and creatures from myth. They actually accomplished business too, they destroyed the Capitol building, decapitated the Lincoln Memorial, cleaved the Washington monument obelisk in two and launched an attack on the White House that was only unsuccessful in assassinating the president due to the timely intervention of Black Lightning.

They had their ducks in a row and they were all quacking. There's no way it could still be in continuity, because Sarge Steel and the Americans would be fully justified in their current actions. The Amazons were competent, formidable and the knockoff Wonder Woman armor they wore looked much better than what we have now too. I only hope in the Tom King sequel the Amazons are just as powerful.

I think Amazons attack needed better motives. The idea was cool, just the question of "why are they doing this?" needed a better answer. Also part of the emotional weight was in that it IS Themiscyra and NOT some other group of Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I think Amazons attack needed better motives.
    Rucka's idea would have done this and done a better job at selling the Amazons as a capable military force.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-08-2024 at 07:58 PM.

Some disparate but related Public domain thoughts.

1. It will be a good thing when WW stuff gradually begins to enter the public domain, this applies to pretty much all fictional media properties though. Culture shouldn't remain in the hands of people/corporations who only have loose connections to the original creators of these properties. In fact, I'd say WW's a great example of the good of the public domain given how much of it's built off concepts from it.

and

2. Whining about Wonder Woman using public domain concepts like Greek mythology is a waste of time. Despite as much some folks want to pretend otherwise or try to explain it away, it's been there since day one and I don't really see many convincing arguements how a Glup **** to character created in the 50s and used only once has any more intrinsic value to WW than PD stuff that's been extensively used.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Some disparate but related Public domain thoughts.

1. It will be a good thing when WW stuff gradually begins to enter the public domain, this applies to pretty much all fictional media properties though. Culture shouldn't remain in the hands of people/corporations who only have loose connections to the original creators of these properties. In fact, I'd say WW's a great example of the good of the public domain given how much of it's built off concepts from it.

and

2. Whining about Wonder Woman using public domain concepts like Greek mythology is a waste of time. Despite as much some folks want to pretend otherwise or try to explain it away, it's been there since day one and I don't really see many convincing arguements how a Glup **** to character created in the 50s and used only once has any more intrinsic value to WW than PD stuff that's been extensively used.
    Historia's Hera is one of my favorite interpretations of the character, and it wound't exist without the public domain. WW's take on the Amazons in general is basically Greek Mythology Fix-Fic (taking away the misoginy that permeated the originals due their creatos) so yes, I completely agree.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Marvel has shown with Thor that using characters that are in public domain can still be very successful and integrated into a universe so it is no excuse to hate on WW having so many public domain characters

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Marvel has shown with Thor that using characters that are in public domain can still be very successful and integrated into a universe so it is no excuse to hate on WW having so many public domain characters
    Well Ares and Circe in WW.