Page 367 of 440 FirstFirst ... 267317357363364365366367368369370371377417 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,505 of 6590
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Artists I don't care for their Wonder Woman:

Joelle Jones
    Yannik Paquette
    Jason Fabok
    Otto Schmidt
    Dan Mora
    That's definitely controversial, so good one.

I am willing to make the concession of Diana NOT having the ability of flight naturally given to her, IF she keeps her natural speed and swiftness of Hermes AND gets to wear Talaria aka Sandals of Hermes as part of her costume. The Sandals grant the user increased speed, dimensional travel, time dilation, and..... flight.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I am willing to make the concession of Diana NOT having the ability of flight naturally given to her, IF she keeps her natural speed and swiftness of Hermes AND gets to wear Talaria aka Sandals of Hermes as part of her costume. The Sandals grant the user increased speed, dimensional travel, time dilation, and..... flight.
    Now that is controversial!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Vanessa is an unofficial Wonder Girl as far as I'm concerned. She's like the Jason Todd of the family. Too bad she's been ruined almost as badly as Donna and Cassie at this point.
    Which is tragic as Rucka worked his buns off to rehab that relationship and show Diana as a good friend again. Like so much else from that, this too was cast aside for nothing remotely comparable in quality

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah that's about where the run ends for me as well. I didn't even get the third Rucka volume for that reason.
    It's a shame because the last proper issue of Rucka's run (the last is technically that filler Superman one-shot) isn't just the best of the entire run, it's one of the best single issues the book's ever had. It's a beautiful tearjerker and I think Rucka articulates what she's about better than just about any other writer.

These 3 pages show more depth and understanding of the character than most entire runs:

It sums up the fact that she's not protecting the world or even just improving it, but fundamentally changing it for the better. And it speaks to the world she's trying to make - an equitable one where everyone has the power to change things, not one where everyone does everything her way.

I also really dig that it approaches the concept of hope in a way that actually has substance, which you almost never see in comics. It's not "everything's gonna be okay," it's "the world is **** and violently resists all attempts to make it less ****, and for all of her impossible effort she still screwed up badly and lost everything, but even in the face of abject failure she's gonna keep trying." That's relatable, inspiring, and evergreen.

And then, of course, the next writer comes along, decides she "isn't human enough," and makes her Secret Agent Diana Prince.

Idk if this is controversial but I'd take things a step further than just "her stories rooted in mythology are the most interesting." I think writers need to straight-up stop thinking of her as a superhero, other than occasionally including some fun over-the-top action setpieces. Every attempt to make her "relatable" or closer to standard cape fare fails. I'm not even remotely interested in her as a crimefighter and I think her guardianship should be incidental rather than her main objective.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    It's a shame because the last proper issue of Rucka's run (the last is technically that filler Superman one-shot) isn't just the best of the entire run, it's one of the best single issues the book's ever had. It's a beautiful tearjerker and I think Rucka articulates what she's about better than just about any other writer.

These 3 pages show more depth and understanding of the character than most entire runs:

It sums up the fact that she's not protecting the world or even just improving it, but fundamentally changing it for the better. And it speaks to the world she's trying to make - an equitable one where everyone has the power to change things, not one where everyone does everything her way.

I also really dig that it approaches the concept of hope in a way that actually has substance, which you almost never see in comics. It's not "everything's gonna be okay," it's "the world is **** and violently resists all attempts to make it less ****, and for all of her impossible effort she still screwed up badly and lost everything, but even in the face of abject failure she's gonna keep trying." That's relatable, inspiring, and evergreen.

And then, of course, the next writer comes along, decides she "isn't human enough," and makes her Secret Agent Diana Prince.

Idk if this is controversial but I'd take things a step further than just "her stories rooted in mythology are the most interesting." I think writers need to straight-up stop thinking of her as a superhero, other than occasionally including some fun over-the-top action setpieces. Every attempt to make her "relatable" or closer to standard cape fare fails. I'm not even remotely interested in her as a crimefighter and I think her guardianship should be incidental rather than her main objective.
    She's a Greek hero, a classical legendary figure, she was never meant to be just another superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Now that is controversial!!!!
    Look if Namor can make flight sexy with those little wings, so can Diana.

Look if Namor can make flight sexy with those little wings, so can Diana.
    Ummmmmm.......no!!!!!!

Ummmmmm.......no!!!!!!
    You didn't like how they implemented flight in Namor's abilities?

Fantastic Member

She's a Greek hero, a classical legendary figure, she was never meant to be just another superhero.
    So Wonder Woman should be written as a mythical adventurer battling mythical monsters/beasts, gods/goddesses, demons, sorcerer/sorceress?

You didn't like how they implemented flight in Namor's abilities?
    She should not need another weapon/armor/clothing that somehow gives her an ability. It's stupid as it is for us to constantly be guessing whether she can fly in every new iteration of her that pops up, be it animation, movies, tv or in comics (in particular Sensation or Black and Gold). Now she has footwear to grant her powers? Nope, just nope. Just let her fly, don't make us second guess, and if and when she gets rebooted in the movie universe, just give her the abilites she should have right off the bat, whether it is the Zeus origin or abilities granted by her patrons. Next time they reboot characters like Superman, Shazam or Black Adam, let them have an origin movie where they can't fly and keep us guessing. That would be so cool!!!

By the way, Namor flyng like a helicopter does not look good and it would look equally bad if not worse foe Diana. Besides why should Diana copy another characters design. From what I remember, Namor always had the stupid looking wings on his feet.

To be fair, I have only seen video footage of Namor flying, I haven't seen Wakanda forever yet. I don't think I will until it comes on Disney+.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    So Wonder Woman should be written as a mythical adventurer battling mythical monsters/beasts, gods/goddesses, demons, sorcerer/sorceress?
    yes, along with some of her better golden age/down to earth/syfy villains.

Extraordinary Member

By the way, Namor flyng like a helicopter does not look good and it would look equally bad if not worse foe Diana. Besides why should Diana copy another characters design. From what I remember, Namor always had the stupid looking wings on his feet.

To be fair, I have only seen video footage of Namor flying, I haven't seen Wakanda forever yet. I don't think I will until it comes on Disney+.
    It actually looked pretty rad. I was skeptical at first, too, but I'm going to know better than to second guess Ryan Coogler from here on in. Just the number of incredible and powerful women he had in that movie alone is worth the price of admission.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    It actually looked pretty rad. I was skeptical at first, too, but I'm going to know better than to second guess Ryan Coogler from here on in. Just the number of incredible and powerful women he had in that movie alone is worth the price of admission.
    Another thing we seem to agree on. I really loved his scenes and though they used the ability of flight with him so well.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post

I 100% agree with you and I think John Byrne does too. Your statement echoes analysis from his prose in WONDER WOMAN: GODS AND GODDESSES