Page 256 of 440 FirstFirst ... 156206246252253254255256257258259260266306356 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,840 of 6586
    Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I though they where made from Zeus’ shield. I guess the show doesn’t confirm though.

Does that mean they would damage the bracers in situations where they are made from Zeus’ shield?
    I guess I always attributed it to the properties of the metal. They seem to provide a little bit of resistance to electric shock, but doesn’t make her immune to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Magic doesnt make the bracelets unbreakable though do they? They are just made out of a very rare metal by the gods? Sort of like in the tv show where its a metal only found on the Island.

I feel like it hasnt been?Look at how the tv show largely ignored the mythology aspect, Superfriends largely ignored the mythology, WW film largely ignored the mythology aspect and has Ares kill off all the Gods so they didnt have to deal with them. Justice League animated ignored most of Dianas mythos.

The first WW animated film is probably the one that dealt with it the most outside of comics.
    Aren't we talking about comics? Anyway the Justice League tv show barely featured Diana's world, and when it did it was all mythology (Circe is also mythological). Cheetah and Giganta didn't have any relationship with Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Aren't we talking about comics? Anyway the Justice League tv show barely featured Diana's world, and when it did it was all mythology (Circe is also mythological). Cheetah and Giganta didn't have any relationship with Wonder Woman.
    Their relationship was that she punched them both in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I though they where made from Zeus’ shield. I guess the show doesn’t confirm though.

Does that mean they would damage the bracers in situations where they are made from Zeus’ shield?
    Pretty sure that in DCAU the entire armor ensemble was made by Hephaestus. Hmmm not 100% sure of the bracelets specifically, but definitely the torso piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Quick question: When WW fought hawk girl on justice league, she was able to deflect strikes with the mace several times. I though Hawkgirl’s mace was supposed to be able to disrupt magic. Was it the physical “unbreakable” properties of the bracelets that prevented them from breaking, or the mystical ones? Or was she just not hitting hard enough?
    Well one of the later stories required Hawkgirl to hand the mace to Diana, in order to smash Felix Faust's face out of the Annihilator. Shayera simply wasn't strong enough to hit it hard enough. Both were forged by Hephaestus. Heck Diana actually has a conversation with Hephaestus about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwgKDWSjoNg
    "I made that armor for your mother." Hmm It's hard to be sure this include the bracelets, but maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The complaints about Diana being generic aren't going to be solved by giving her space adventures or giving the Amazons advanced technology. That's just making her story generic in a different way that copies what many other superheroes are already doing.

The point is they are far more likely to be featured in his book than Cassie and Donna are in Diana's.
    The Wonder Woman comic already has space adventures and futuristic technology in its narrative DNA ..and has, since the Golden Age. She had it, as recently as Steve Orlando's run on WW, last year, and the Wonder Woman 1984 film, ..both of which featured the Invisible Jet; so, WW writers aren't 'copying' other superhero comics, when they create a sci-fi story, for WW. WW came from the same adventure stories that inspired Tomb Raider, Masters Of The Universe and John Carter of Mars...Star Wars - there's plenty of room for magic and sci-fi, even a mix of both, in a WW story.

There is such a thing, as sci-fi fantasy. It is a genre.

If you want an all pegacorns n' krakens, heroic fantasy WW comic...fine. Maybe, that's a case for two WW comics - the more, the merrier! Some of us have been rallying for a two-comic solution, for decades, to solve exactly that problem. I don't think anyone here has a problem, with dreary, fake-Tolkien, all-mystic versions of Wonder Woman - yon kanga awaits, milady - but, all of us don't have to want it ..and should be able to read the kinds of WW stories, that we enjoy.

Furthermore, I think you're getting an exceptional revival of how the WW comic mixed fantasy and sci-fi, in the Golden Age, right now, with the Cloonan-Conrad run. Sci-fi Doctor Psycho was there, in the middle of all of that Norse magic, and it wasn't a copy of anything else, on the shelves. It was magnificent.

And didn't Cassie and Donna show up, in the Steve Orlando 'Warmaster' thing, last year? Donna sure as hell was. Frankly, I don't care what you do, with Plastic Cassie, anymore - she's another bad idea, like skinny Etta.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-16-2021 at 10:12 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Quick question: When WW fought hawk girl on justice league, she was able to deflect strikes with the mace several times. I though Hawkgirl’s mace was supposed to be able to disrupt magic. Was it the physical “unbreakable” properties of the bracelets that prevented them from breaking, or the mystical ones? Or was she just not hitting hard enough?
    I would say the bracelets themselves were just unbreakable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The Wonder Woman comic already has space adventures and futuristic technology in its narrative DNA ..and has, since the Golden Age. She had it, as recently as Steve Orlando's run on WW, last year, and the Wonder Woman 1984 film, ..both of which featured the Invisible Jet; so, WW writers aren't 'copying' other superhero comics, when they create a sci-fi story, for WW. WW came from the same adventure stories that inspired Tomb Raider, Masters Of The Universe and John Carter of Mars...Star Wars - there's plenty of room for magic and sci-fi, even a mix of both, in a WW story.

There is such a thing, as sci-fi fantasy. It is a genre.

If you want an all pegacorns n' krakens, heroic fantasy WW comic...fine. Maybe, that's a case for two WW comics - the more, the merrier! Some of us have been rallying for a two-comic solution, for decades, to solve exactly that problem. I don't think anyone here has a problem, with dreary, fake-Tolkien, all-mystic versions of Wonder Woman - yon kanga awaits, milady - but, all of us don't have to want it ..and should be able to read the kinds of WW stories, that we enjoy.

Furthermore, I think you're getting an exceptional revival of how the WW comic mixed fantasy and sci-fi, in the Golden Age, right now, with the Cloonan-Conrad run. Sci-fi Doctor Psycho was there, in the middle of all of that Norse magic, and it wasn't a copy of anything else, on the shelves. It was magnificent.

And didn't Cassie and Donna show up, in the Steve Orlando 'Warmaster' thing, last year? Donna sure as hell was. Frankly, I don't care what you do, with Plastic Cassie, anymore - she's another bad idea, like skinny Etta.
    "This used to be the way things were done" is not a convincing argument. Especially in 2021.

There was nothing "plastic" about Cassie either in the Warmaster story.

And for someone who says he has not problem with fantasy WW stories, you sure spend an awful amount of time complaining about them any chance you get.

Dr Psycho has never been written as a sci fi character either.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-16-2021 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    What other superheroes are mixing sci-fi tech with Greek myth?

Do the complaints about her being generic have anything to do with the lack or presence of Amazon tech?
    They often do. There are multiple comments littered across this and other threads complaining about the lack of advanced technology and disparaging Diana as "diet Xena" or "fake Tolkien" or any other insult they can come up with to express dislike of myth or fantasy focused WW stories.

Still doesn't explain why there shouldn't stories focused on Amazonian tech or more sci fi based WW stories.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They often do. There are multiple comments littered across this and other threads complaining about the lack of advanced technology and disparaging Diana as "diet Xena" or "fake Tolkien" or any other insult they can come up with to express dislike of myth or fantasy focused WW stories.
    Well I think those are wrong too, but that's still not a good reason to exclude the Amazon tech. Wonder Woman was created to be both from myth and to have super science. Neither element should be downplayed or else it's not her/her world. If forced to choose, the myth stuff is more important and it can work on its own if it has to, but it still feels as though a key component is missing.

The super science at least explains what they've been up to during their 3000 years of isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Well I think those are wrong too, but that's still not a good reason to exclude the Amazon tech. Wonder Woman was created to be both from myth and to have super science. Neither element should be downplayed or else it's not her/her world. If forced to choose, the myth stuff is more important and it can work on its own if it has to, but it still feels as though a key component is missing.
    That's because the myth stuff is just as important, as the sci-fi stuff, ..because Dr. Marston built the Wonderverse, that way. The same 'science fantasy', which gave us Mighty Thor, Aquaman, Star Wars, Dune and Tomb Raider, ..was the dominant subgenre in adventure magazines (pulp fiction), for almost twenty-five years, between 1930 and 1955. The idea that WW's got to be pixie dust and centaurides, all the time, is a false premise, ..which we need never subscribe to.

Nobody wants to jettison the heroic fantasy elements, in WW. Two monthly WW comics, one for the myth-inspired stories and another for a pulpy mix of both, with superheroics, ..would give us all the room, we need, to satisfy the Perez purist and the Marstonian fans, equally.

And if you're uncomfortable with 'Perez purist' or 'Marstonian'...fine. Some of us aren't cozy, being called any sort of purist, though I've no problems with it; either way, it wasn't intended to be pejorative. Maybe, 'post-Crisis' and 'classic' is an easier fit for them, ..or whatever.

Nobody wants to force anything on or take anything away from our fellow kangaliers! As Michael Conrad says, there's Immortal Wonder Woman and regular ol' Wonder Woman, now. There's enough Wonder Woman to go around and give all of us, what we want.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-17-2021 at 08:11 AM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The super science at least explains what they've been up to during their 3000 years of isolation.
    Normally I hate to play this card but where would the technology come from if they are isolated? With something like Wakanda, it's at least stated their advanced technology is because of vibranium.

I'm not entirely against Amazons with advanced technology but I do think some thought should be put into where it came from and what role it plays in Amazon society. The lack of which is probably a factor in why it seems so disposable by writers.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Normally I hate to play this card but where would the technology come from if they are isolated? With something like Wakanda, it's at least stated their advanced technology is because of vibranium.

I'm not entirely against Amazons with advanced technology but I do think some thought should be put into where it came from and what role it plays in Amazon society. The lack of which is probably a factor in why it seems so disposable by writers.
    I don't think writers are really putting that much thought into why they view it as disposable. They want a "sword and sandal" feel for WW, and don't think the tech meshes with that despite the fact that we have stuff like Final Fantasy melding sci-fi and fantasy and being popular for it. It's more limited imagination than adherence to reality, because the same writers will go on to write about invincible people who fly and shoot lasers from their eyes.

The Golden Age already provided an explanation for why they have it: Hippolyta had the Magic Sphere to view the outside world's advancements and even into the future so the Amazons could replicate and make their own improvements. They could also bring back Amazonium, their own equivalent to Vibranium. The Golden Age stories also had various alien Amazon-like factions they could encounter and obtain tech from to do their own experiments on. Or alternate reality allies like Earth One Desire and Astra. It doesn't have to be overthought, and there are already simple explanations available to be expanded on. "realism" for isolation is a terrible reason, IMO, for why the Amazons should be nerfed when the rest of the DCU isn't.

I like the idea that it's an evolved sort of magic that's highly controllable to the point that it's lost that "sparkle" of mystique. It works and people don't question WHY. But to recreate it would require materials that don't exist in nature.

It's kind of like with Hephaestus's works. They're not fickle or unreliable. But... while Hephaestus could replicate them... good luck to anyone else who tries.