Page 315 of 440 FirstFirst ... 215265305311312313314315316317318319325365415 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,725 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    There's also the simple fact of running time.
    Yeah, you probably could've devoted more of the movie to Diana's connection to the Amazons and the Contest and all that. Then you would've been about two hours into the movie before she even leaves the island. And at two hours, twenty minutes, it's not like the first Wonder Woman movie was short. Credit where it's due, they covered a lot of ground in that one film.
    Indeed, runtime was the reason we couldn’t have the contest in the first movie like Patty wanted.

Although, shame on WB for saying “no time for the contest but extend the final fight with Ares.” Honestly the contest could have been 5 minutes long if they wanted (although I know they would have to build sets and stunt choreography and such) but point is, they ended up extending the movie anyway…

Also...taking it back to the core of Wonder Woman is her relationship with Hippolyta idea...another thing with that is it suggests the end of Diana's story is returning to Themyscira and reconciling with her mother. And I don't see "going back home" as the end of Wonder Woman's story.

In fact, that was one idea (among many, many others) I didn't like about Zack Snyder's planned Justice League arc. The end of Diana's story, whatever that may be, isn't going back home.
    For all that can be said about Infinite Crisis and Geoff Johns's writing of her, Diana saying--when Themyscira was about to disappear to another plane--"My destiny isn't on this island. It never was." was a bullseye.
    If the rumors are true about the 3rd film that she is going back to Themyscira, that’s fine, but just don’t end the movie with her staying there.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that one comes from Jiminez originally.
    I can't recall that from Jimenez, not saying he didn't do it, but given Johns was a producer on the film, I think it's fairly safe it was included because that's from his JL run.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    No contest. No flight. No technology. Amazons that can be killed by ww1 weapons etc. I didn't see much from Marston, Perez or other pre 52 writers.
    1. As others have said, most likely cut for time as it's 2 hour plus movie and we already spent 30 minutes of it on the island. The actual narrative important part of the contest, Diana making her own choice in defying Hippolyta, was kept.

2. Something she didn't have under her own creator.

3. Which has been the standard depiction of Themyscira since Perez (that it's also even called Themyscira is because of Perez).

4. Amazons not being immune to bullets goes back to Marston.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-11-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Indeed, runtime was the reason we couldn’t have the contest in the first movie like Patty wanted.

Although, shame on WB for saying “no time for the contest but extend the final fight with Ares.” Honestly the contest could have been 5 minutes long if they wanted (although I know they would have to build sets and stunt choreography and such) but point is, they ended up extending the movie anyway…
    Wasn't the contest in the 2009 animated film just a montage of Diana winning some tournament challenges. The training scene before Steve pops up, that was the replacement of the contest, and I didn't find it necessary. You could have had the final challenge, after the tie breaker bullets and bracelets, be Diana going up against Antiope (or Phillipus aka the actual person that trained Diana) and Diana doing the bracelet smash move being the big revel that its the princess and not a regular amazon that won.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I would have preferred the movie feature the Contest, technologically advanced Amazons (including the Invisible Jet if we weren't getting flight until a sequel) and the clay birth. But after waiting so long for a live action attempt at Wonder Woman on the big screen and being told for so long that she wouldn't succeed and the only reason we got a surprise hit is because DC/WB wanted to chase the MCU money and we otherwise might never have gotten one, I think we should be grateful for what we have. A very good movie that was widely embraced and made people aware of how awesome the character can be, which we've known all along. This influx of books we're getting in October is largely thanks to the company making her a higher priority than she was before because she got the ball rolling on salvaging the DCEU's reputation.

Yeah I'd change a lot if I was in charge (particularly when we get to WW84 and the JL movies), but criticizing the first film always comes across as a bit ungrateful IMO. We were/are in no position to complain, especially as it got more right than it got wrong.

Did they at least talk about it? I don't remember.

Well, an issue there is one of the key components of Wonder Woman's story is that she leaves the island. She leaves her home and sisters.

Yeah, the Amazons were cool and it would've been nice if we got to see more of them and Diana's relationship with them, but you can't have really have a Wonder Woman origin story without her leaving Themyscira behind at some point. It's the safe, easy paradise she gave up to be a hero.
    I would argue the core of Diana's story is how she brings positive change to the world and those around her. Kind of hard to do that if she's occupied with Themyscira.

And people who say she left for a man are just flat out wrong. Steve's arrival heralds the start of her journey, but she left the island to save the world. She pretty much states that word for word.
    Yes she does leave the island but who she is and her values were instilled by them. The movie did touch on this but the sequel dropped the ball. Themyscira could have been better fleshed out instead of generic greco-roman society still stuck in the past.

I'm not saying she shouldn't leave the island. Just that the Amazons and their culture could have been fleshed out more.

They wouldn't have much room for that argument if the Amazons had a more prominent role in the movies. Imagine if the finale had Hippolyta arriving with cavalry to back up Diana or if the sequel was about her returning to the island and not moping about Steeeeeve.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    1. But she didn't leave her island for a man. Diana makes it quite clear that she's leaving to stop Ares and bring peace to earth and make man good again. "Who would I be if I stay?" Is not in response to wanting to be with Trevor.

2.No comment. Hopefully the fabled Amazons film is real.

3. She is literally wearing the headpiece of Antiope when she finally makes her decision to become Wonder Woman. When she stands up to the men in London, she refers to her Aunt Antiope who fought next to the soldiers, and how they are cowards for sending men to slaughter with little regard. Hippolyta literally shares the theme of WW84 with a young Diana that an adult Diana must learn to save the world and to finally accept her place in this new world. When she faces Luddendorf, she calls herself the daughter of Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons. Also, in WW84, she specifically searches for Linda Carter's character's (I forgot her name. Astra or something) Golden Eagle Armor and wears it in the final battle. To say that Hippolyta and Antiope, specifically, or that the Amazons, in general, aren't important to the movie Diana is literally ignoring sometimes pertinent plot, character, and motivation narratives.

4. I feel no way regarding the last one. Zeus and Ares were obviously supposed to be God/Satan analogs. Plus even the Greeks took liberties with the myths, so I have no problem with the movie doing the same.
    In the comics, she is the Amazon's champion, an Ambassador. She fights Ares because it's her duty. If not her, then it would have been somebody else. There is a distinction between a rebel and an ambassador. A rebel goes against the wishes of the nation, an ambassador represents the nation. Diana rebels against her mothers wishes but she is doing it to fulfill the duty of the Amazons.

In WW84 she gets a wishing rock and she uses it to bring back Steve. Why not Antiope? Why not go back to Themsycira? Also she seems to have no friends at all in her life.

Except Zeus and Ares aren't supposed to be God/Satan analogous. In WW mythology, Ares is meant to represent mans' desire for war and violence. To the movies credit they do get this part right. But Ares opposite isn't Zeus, it's Athena (who even in the mythology is meant to represent strategic war) and Aphrodite (who represents love).

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    That Thor, Black Panther, and Shang Chi have done better with their characters is pretty cut and dry. With DCs Wonder Woman, they were hamstrung from the jump with the ANTI WW vibe DiDio and Johns presented. There's a problem when both TV efforts did better by the character than the film did. Sooooooooooooo many liberties were taken in both movies and her catalogue was pretty much gutted or ignored by the not well considered choices. Instead of the mythical fantastical origin we get "oh she's another of Zeus children". Instead of the powerful Amazons who laugh at mortal weapons and instruments of war and play Bullets and Bracelets as a game we get Amazons who are on the struggle bus dealing with WWI weapons. I could go on ad nauseum but the bottom line is Marvel embraced their properties whereas both DC and WB reject what makes their properties unique and awesome preferring instead to make them generic.
    I agree.

And because they didn't embrace it from the get-go, if a future adaptation does a faithful depiction of Themyscira, people are going to accuse it of ripping off Wakanda or Asgard.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Getting important roles for mothers and female mentors in live action comic book movies is still pretty rare, so I think how the first film in particular handled them is still huge. It got a lot of positive responses from the majority of audiences.

She did not leave for Steve. Marston's Diana did but not Jenkins. She very clearly leaves to stop Ares and from a desire to see the world. I don't get people missing that at all. It's one of the best compromises to still include Steve without her doing it only for love for him. Year One did this well too

The Zeus origin sucks, but having it vs. no Wonder Woman movie at all is an easy choice.
    I think Jenkins and the actors did the best they could but it's still shaky. I don't think the criticism would have surfaced if they handled it better.

I would rather wait for a good adaptation rather than rush and get a bad one.

There's also the simple fact of running time.
    Yeah, you probably could've devoted more of the movie to Diana's connection to the Amazons and the Contest and all that. Then you would've been about two hours into the movie before she even leaves the island. And at two hours, twenty minutes, it's not like the first Wonder Woman movie was short. Credit where it's due, they covered a lot of ground in that one film.

Also...taking it back to the core of Wonder Woman is her relationship with Hippolyta idea...another thing with that is it suggests the end of Diana's story is returning to Themyscira and reconciling with her mother. And I don't see "going back home" as the end of Wonder Woman's story.

In fact, that was one idea (among many, many others) I didn't like about Zack Snyder's planned Justice League arc. The end of Diana's story, whatever that may be, isn't going back home.
    For all that can be said about Infinite Crisis and Geoff Johns's writing of her, Diana saying--when Themyscira was about to disappear to another plane--"My destiny isn't on this island. It never was." was a bullseye.
    The point of the contest, in the Golden Age, was to do world building. It was about showcasing the different Amazons and their skill sets and watching Diana rise to the top and then finally earn her place through the bullets and bracelets test. It's hard to accept that the contest would have taken up too much screen time when Black Panther managed to incorporate his culture's contest very effectively.

Going back to Themyscira makes sense for the movie iteration of Diana.

For Marston's Diana, the logical conclusion would have been ushering in his idea of a feminist utopia and literally conquering war with love. For Perez's version, it would have been the destruction of Doom's Gateway and the Amazon's no longer having to take up weapons and Jiminez's floating island utopia where people from all walks of life come to study and learn.

I kind of agree that Diana is at heart a free spirit who wants to explore the world. That is cruicial for her character but I also think it's important for her to come back to her roots to replenish her spirits and gain wisdom from her mother.

Diana was literally more interested in SteveÂ’s watch than his wiener.

The movie opens with a 5 year old Diana talking about how badly she wants to help people, has her begging her mother and the AmazonÂ’s to leave the Island after she hears about WWI from Steve, and the second she sets foot in London sheÂ’s constantly talking about wanting to get to the front lines to help people (cue No Mans Land). She even comments that men are necessary for procreation but not sexual pleasure.

Honestly, to me it sounds like the people who think she left the island for a man in the first movie are the kind of people who will think that as long as Steve is in her origin, period.
    Then she spends the next movie pining over Steve, even wishing him back from the dead over her dead aunt or her sisters.

The bulk of the movie is built on Diana's chemistry with Steve with some side glances at Hippolyta and Antiope. Artemis, Phillipus, Donna, Cassie, Etta Candy, Julia and Vanessa, basically 90% of her non-Steve relationships are absent from the narrative.

It would have been cool to see more of how the Amazons shaped Diana and how one of them would react in the same situation. This is why I like Artemis inclusion in the 2009 movie.

Well...for the first several issues of Marston's Wonder Woman, Diana x Steve was much more of a focus than Hippolyta and Diana, which would make sense in any scenario when Themyscira is cut off from Diana upon leaving (Same with Ribirth with Steve, Etta and Barbara and PC but with Julia and Venessa). They could always have flashbacks, but Diana's origin story cannot be a mother daughter narrative once she leaves the island since her mother is now out of the picture, that is for a sequel.

Granted, I'm not saying Steve needs to be more important than Hippolyta, but a Wonder Woman origin, in every origin that has been portrayed, cannot be a journey of mother and daughter because Diana has to leave her mother for the journey to start. Really, Hippolyta's journey in Diana's origin is always the same, that she accepts Diana is ready to leave the island.
    Yes but even Marston's Diana eventually returned to Paradise Island. She visited her mother regularly for wisdom and comfort. Hippolyta's experiences with Ares and Heracles is the reason why she is over protective of Diana and encouraged her to keep Themsycira isolated. Circe's grudge against Diana have to do with Hippolyta as well. Diana inherits Ares, Heracles and Circe as enemies from Hippolyta. The point is that the the Amazons did too good of a job of instill their values in Diana that she is willing to go out and face the world whereas the Amazons experiences rendered them cynical of Man's World and thus more isolationist.

Diana leaves the island but she also comes back with guests and helped open up Themyscira to the world and to try to teach the world a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I would have preferred the movie feature the Contest, technologically advanced Amazons (including the Invisible Jet if we weren't getting flight until a sequel) and the clay birth. But after waiting so long for a live action attempt at Wonder Woman on the big screen and being told for so long that she wouldn't succeed and the only reason we got a surprise hit is because DC/WB wanted to chase the MCU money and we otherwise might never have gotten one, I think we should be grateful for what we have. A very good movie that was widely embraced and made people aware of how awesome the character can be, which we've known all along. This influx of books we're getting in October is largely thanks to the company making her a higher priority than she was before because she got the ball rolling on salvaging the DCEU's reputation.

Yeah I'd change a lot if I was in charge (particularly when we get to WW84 and the JL movies), but criticizing the first film always comes across as a bit ungrateful IMO. We were/are in no position to complain, especially as it got more right than it got wrong.
    It's possible to complain about table scraps while still eating them.

After seeing Atlantis, Wakanda, Asgard, Sakaar, Knowhere and now the villain in Shang Chi, live action Themyscira was very lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I think Jenkins and the actors did the best they could but it's still shaky. I don't think the criticism would have surfaced if they handled it better.

I would rather wait for a good adaptation rather than rush and get a bad one.
    There's a difference between a bad adaptation and one that doesn't line up to everything an individual fan wants. This is the latter, not the former, and no adaptation ever gets everything 100% accurate (look at everything for Superman and Batman). Again if we didn't get this during DC/WB's rush to chase the superhero genre boom, we weren't getting one any time soon if ever. And we got a movie that was pretty much a hit and proved the character could be viable when nobody gave a crap about her potential before.

If the criticism you mean is the Steve one, I think that applies more to the sequel than the first film. I honestly think the movie making everything about her love for Steve is an exaggeration and probably stems from having an axe to grind against Steve than anything that is in the film itself. Even her wishing him back in the sequel makes some sense on paper: she could conceivably see her mother and sisters again some day since they are alive, while Steve is dead and never coming back to her knowledge. The ultimate execution left something to be desired yes, but there is some logic to the basic idea.

It's possible to complain about table scraps while still eating them.

After seeing Atlantis, Wakanda, Asgard, Sakaar, Knowhere and now the villain in Shang Chi, live action Themyscira was very lacking.
    I'd hardly call the movie that started to salvage the DCEU's reputation and made people notice WW in a modern context for the first time ever "scraps".

Live action Themyscira is pretty much Perez's Themysicra. Would I have preferred Marston's Paradise Island (there is a difference)? Yes. But we have comics where Themyscira doesn't have anything Wakanda or Asgard would. And the Perez era is considered the true version of the character and her mythos for a significant portion of the fanbase, and the general audience making up most of the ticket sales don't have a horse in this race. If the comics and fanbase can't agree with how Themyscira should be depicted, I can't fault the movie for just picking a version to be faithful to over another even if it's not the one I and others would prefer.

Incredible Member

I really hope we do get a proper adaptation of WW be it live action movie, tv show or cartoon.

The comments and reactions to the movies has been along the lines of:

"She left her island for a man!"

"I wish we could have seen more of the Amazons."

"Aren't her mother and sisters important to her? Why don't we see their impact on her?"

"But Zeus was a rapist in mythology. This makes no sense!" (This was made by someone who didn't read comics and only saw the movies so I had to explain to her how the movies butchered the Goddesses role in the WW's story.)
    In the comics, she is the Amazon's champion, an Ambassador. She fights Ares because it's her duty. If not her, then it would have been somebody else. There is a distinction between a rebel and an ambassador. A rebel goes against the wishes of the nation, an ambassador represents the nation. Diana rebels against her mothers wishes but she is doing it to fulfill the duty of the Amazons.

In WW84 she gets a wishing rock and she uses it to bring back Steve. Why not Antiope? Why not go back to Themsycira? Also she seems to have no friends at all in her life.

Except Zeus and Ares aren't supposed to be God/Satan analogous. In WW mythology, Ares is meant to represent mans' desire for war and violence. To the movies credit they do get this part right. But Ares opposite isn't Zeus, it's Athena (who even in the mythology is meant to represent strategic war) and Aphrodite (who represents love).
    I'm honestly not certain what you're discussing here. If you look at the first quote box, which I am responding to in your quote, you were specifically talking about the movie. That is why I responded by quoting a quote from the film and how the film makes certain we know that Diana has an urge to save people and the world that has nothing to do with Steve Trevor. The comment was "She left her island for a man!" as it relates to the film. My response is that she did not and the film supports this. To say she left for a man is just factually inaccurate. I'm not certain what her being an Ambassador in the comics has to do with her not leaving for a man in the film - which was the actual point of debate.

Also, while I understand how your WW84 point makes sense for wanting more Amazons in the films- to which I said I hope the Amazons film is actually in production - I don't see how it makes sense to what I was responding to - "Aren't her mother and sisters important to her? Why don't we see their impact on her?". Again, the point is that Hippolyta and Antiope are extremely important to her. Hippolyta gives Diana the theme of the film that she needs to reclaim her life in man's world. Diana doesn't have friends because she's closed herself off from man's world. She's told herself a lie (part of the theme that Hippolyta shares) that only having Trevor back can bring her peace and happiness in man's world. Only by accepting the truth - again the theme that Hippolyta shares that only the truth matters - is she able to realize that it is not Trevor's death holding her back from embracing man's world, but the ways she has distanced herself from it. There were also other examples of how the Amazons have played an integral role. Again, it is Antiope's headband she wears to signify her transformation into Wonder Woman. Antiope's dying words are also you must go to presumably save the world from Ares. Also, when the sniper needs to be stopped in the first film, Trevor and Diana employ a tactic used by Antiope to stop him. Hippolyta and Antiope are obviously important to Diana.

And again, for your last point. Since we were talking about the film - per your first quote - I am speaking of the film. The film set Zeus up as God - he created the Amazons to protect man and with his last dying breath he gave us a weapon to defeat Ares. The film set Ares up as Satan - he is the evil force that kills the gods, what the Amazons must defeat, and brings corruption to man by wanting an endless war that could potentially destroy the world. Athena and Aphrodite aren't mentioned in the film as far as I remember, and if they are they are not significant.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I can't recall that from Jimenez, not saying he didn't do it, but given Johns was a producer on the film, I think it's fairly safe it was included because that's from his JL run.

1. As others have said, most likely cut for time as it's 2 hour plus movie and we already spent 30 minutes of it on the island. The actual narrative important part of the contest, Diana making her own choice in defying Hippolyta, was kept.

2. Something she didn't have under her own creator.

3. Which has been the standard depiction of Themyscira since Perez (that it's also even called Themyscira is because of Perez).

4. Amazons not being immune to bullets goes back to Marston.
    1)Instead of her stealing the weapons and costume.They could have done the contest.

2)Who said they were making a Marston movie version? They barely did anything from Marston era. WW has been flying since 1987. So for me they have no excuse.

3) You said they looked at Marston. So why no technology? And he is not the only one to have technology for the amazons. Even writers in Post Crisis and Rebirth have shown technology.

4) Marston Amazons laughed at bullets. They played braceletrs and bullets like people play football. Also Marston Amazons had the potential to be just as strong as Diana. And most other writers after him still portrayed amazons as well above peak human level, and easily capable of dealing with modern weapons and guns from the human world.

Then she spends the next movie pining over Steve, even wishing him back from the dead over her dead aunt or her sisters.

The bulk of the movie is built on Diana's chemistry with Steve with some side glances at Hippolyta and Antiope. Artemis, Phillipus, Donna, Cassie, Etta Candy, Julia and Vanessa, basically 90% of her non-Steve relationships are absent from the narrative.

It would have been cool to see more of how the Amazons shaped Diana and how one of them would react in the same situation. This is why I like Artemis inclusion in the 2009 movie.
    Pining over Steve in the sequel doesn't change that she doesn't leave the island for him. (And as a reminder, I didn't like how prominent Steve's role in the sequel was either.)

Yes but even Marston's Diana eventually returned to Paradise Island. She visited her mother regularly for wisdom and comfort. Hippolyta's experiences with Ares and Heracles is the reason why she is over protective of Diana and encouraged her to keep Themsycira isolated. Circe's grudge against Diana have to do with Hippolyta as well. Diana inherits Ares, Heracles and Circe as enemies from Hippolyta. The point is that the the Amazons did too good of a job of instill their values in Diana that she is willing to go out and face the world whereas the Amazons experiences rendered them cynical of Man's World and thus more isolationist.

Diana leaves the island but she also comes back with guests and helped open up Themyscira to the world and to try to teach the world a better way.
    I'm infering some of this desire stems from the 2013 Jimenez interview when he say the core relationship of Wonder Woman should be mother and daughter and he used Brave as an example. While I do not disagree at all, I must remind that in the layout of a movie, this kind of mother daughter relationship cannot work for an origin film. In a sequel, yes. In a TV show, yes. In a first movie, no.

Why it can't work, as I have stated previously, is that the start of Diana's journey is entering the outside world. Diana's mother is often presented as a direct obstacle, banning Diana from participating in the very competition she needs to achieve her goal. And then when she makes her mother proud by disobeying and winning, that is Hippolyta's entire character arch in her origin.

She's not going to college, she can't call Mom on the phone or write letters, she's completely cut off from the island so their relationship cannot progress any further. And I don't think a first movie should end with Diana returning to Themsycira or it opening up to the outside world, it should end like it always does with Diana rushing off to help someone in trouble. And you don't want to spend so much time on Themyscira that you limit Diana's heroism in the outside world.

And Diana's Amazon philosophies/values will present themselves in her character, not her relationship with her mother (once she leaves the island anyway, since they could pull the old "this is what you taught me so I'm leaving to save the world" like Bloodlines did).
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 09-11-2021 at 06:42 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

1)Instead of her stealing the weapons and costume.They could have done the contest.

2)Who said they were making a Marston movie version? They barely did anything from Marston era. WW has been flying since 1987. So for me they have no excuse.

3) You said they looked at Marston. So why no technology? And he is not the only one to have technology for the amazons. Even writers in Post Crisis and Rebirth have shown technology.

4) Marston Amazons laughed at bullets. They played braceletrs and bullets like people play football. Also Marston Amazons had the potential to be just as strong as Diana. And most other writers after him still portrayed amazons as well above peak human level, and easily capable of dealing with modern weapons and guns from the human world.
    I didn't say they were making a Marston movie, I was counteracting your point that they only looked at New 52 for WW which as I said is not true from both viewing of the movie and statements by people involved in it. Yeah, I despise that the Daddy Zeus nonsense made it in her first solo movie but by and large the choices they made are no more egregious than ones done on for characters like Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man and have some basis in well-known WW material.

Like Siege said, there is a difference between a bad adaptation and an adaption making creative choices that don't lineup to 100% of what I want.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-11-2021 at 07:07 PM.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I didn't say they were making a Marston movie, I was counteracting your point that they only looked at New 52 for WW which as I said is not true from both viewing of the movie and statements by people involved in it. Yeah, I despise that the Daddy Zeus nonsense made it in her first solo movie but by and large the choices they made are no more egregious than ones done on for characters like Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man and have some basis in well-known WW material.

Like Siege said, there is a difference between a bad adaptation and an adaption making creative choices that don't lineup to 100% of what I want.
    Statements from the movie people isn't everything. I look at the movie, and i don't see much from Marston, Perez or anything pre 52. Just because they used characters that existed before New 52, doesn't mean they actually paid attention to WW lore before that in a real deep way. Dr Poison was there as a secondary villain. Just like New 52 treated her. The amzons were never as weak as they are in the DCEU. Marston, Perez, Jimenez, or any other take on comic amazons wouldn't be getting wrecked by normal weapons and soldiers. If Patty could have had her real ending against Ares. Then yes, i would have noticed Perez's presence more. But as it is. I barely felt anything from before new 52 in the movie. Usually Superman and Batman's worlds are better represented in the movie verses. Making sure to take pieces from different important eras of the characters. I didn't see much of that with WW 2017. It was a good movie. But very new 52 in most aspects. Usually DC and WB don't try that hard with WW. So the bar is already low from the get go. It's nice that it all turned out right and it was proven that she could carry a movie. But much like in the comics, it'd be nice to see a more organized and ambitious plan to handle this franchise.

Is the Zeus origin even leaving any impression on the wider audiences? The revelation was in the last act as a plot device explanation for her powers and one brief dumb mention in the sequel that everyone probably already forgot.

The origin sucks but I don't think it's reached "the Joker killed Batman's parents" levels and they were eventually able to get rid of that

Statements from the movie people isn't everything.
    You're right. What actually happens in the movie is.

Dr Poison was there as a secondary villain. Just like New 52 treated her.
    Dr. Poison hasn't been a major villain in the comics since the Golden Age ended. Her appearances post-Marston have either been as someone's lackey or in an ensemble. That's been the case long before the New 52.

In fact, New 52 was the first time in decades Poison was a major independent villain.

The amzons were never as weak as they are in the DCEU. Marston, Perez, Jimenez, or any other take on comic amazons wouldn't be getting wrecked by normal weapons and soldiers.
    This is exactly what happens to them in their origin in the Perez run.

And the Amazons still won that fight in the movie.

If Patty could have had her real ending against Ares. Then yes, i would have noticed Perez's presence more.
    What real ending?

Your argument that the movie is mostly based on the New 52 boils down to the Amazons not being as powerful as you want and Diana not flying. The former was the case in Perez and the latter isn't even something that happened in the New 52 since she flew all the time.

Usually Superman and Batman's worlds are better represented in the movie verses.
    By what criteria?