Page 34 of 440 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Generally more people state Israel is middle eastern. Most don't call it in Asia rather the middle eastern or Eurasia. There is a more specific area she is from so some people don't like it since certain places teach you that.

some days I really wonder how people define stuff like that really. I mean, it's surrounded to the north, east, south, and west by the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I feel the same way - it's awesome and adds a richness when rogues start building relationships of their own.
    For an example of a way I've seen it done and liked was in Spider-man. Many of his rogues are criminals associated with mafia-esque organizations. Well these organizations sometimes get into turf wars. Tombstone vs Hammerhead was because they weren't allies, and hated each other almost as much as Spider-man. Another example was how Hobgoblin and Green Goblin fought each other.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    For an example of a way I've seen it done and liked was in Spider-man. Many of his rogues are criminals associated with mafia-esque organizations. Well these organizations sometimes get into turf wars. Tombstone vs Hammerhead was because they weren't allies, and hated each other almost as much as Spider-man. Another example was how Hobgoblin and Green Goblin fought each other.
    Yeah, giving villains reasons for their actions to which the heroes are incidental is always a big winner for me. The first few issues of the Ryan Choi Atom were pretty good for that. I'd love, for example, to see Cale and Dr. Cyber go at it for reasons that have nothing to do with WW, even though she gets drawn into it all the same.

I like (or am stuck on, depending on your POV) a city, because it can lend itself thematically to what one of the most historically significant superhero characters is about. It's also a DC thing, and I like those "roots" and, sometimes, contrivances a bit.

It's interesting that you bring up how she lives... a hall, an apartment, etc. I've got her city nailed down for me and her various offices at ARGUS or Holliday University, but not where she lives in terms of a house, apartment, condo, mansion, etc. As I finalize the design and mode of her city, I expect that'll become clearer to me.

I love the crypto-archeologist angle. To me, that falls under the mission of ARGUS too, so it fits nicely in my perspective of Diana's world.
    I was miffed about the loss of Gateway City as I think that was one of good points of Byrne's run. However Rucka's use of the Themysciran Embassy in NYC really illustrated how having her own fictional city isn't the only way to go.

I always wondered what if Diana wasn't the first Wonder Woman? I mean going back to Wonder Woman's first appearance is in WW2. So what if her mother or someone else was the first Wonder Woman?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I always wondered what if Diana wasn't the first Wonder Woman? I mean going back to Wonder Woman's first appearance is in WW2. So what if her mother or someone else was the first Wonder Woman?
    Preferably Diana is the first and foremost but I was fine with Byrne making Hippolyta GAWW in his run. If say Antiope had 1800's adventures in Man's World and called herself Wonder Woman it wouldn't sit well with me.

Incredible Member

Pre-crisis, there was also some sort of "early" Wonder Woman who continued to exist (or was resurrected?) as a skeleton and fought Diana in a two-part story. I haven't read it in a month of Sundays, and I can't remember if she was actually called Wonder Woman or if she just looked like her in the flashbacks. The story was drawn by Gene Colan and was written by...Roy Thomas? Dan Mishkin? I can't quite remember. I can see panels from the story in my head (like Steve saying "Angel, it's...YOU!) but don't really remember the thrust of the story.

I remember at least one really great Frank Miller cover of Steve Trevor discovering the skeletal WW with a sword through her chest, and the other cover was a disappointing (to me, anyway) Mike Kaluta cover, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I was miffed about the loss of Gateway City as I think that was one of good points of Byrne's run. However Rucka's use of the Themysciran Embassy in NYC really illustrated how having her own fictional city isn't the only way to go.
    I liked Gateway too and didn't realize it had been used for the Spectre previously.

NYC was good too, but I just have it in my head that Diana deserves her own city as the premiere superheroine of the DCU.

Like Gateway, my city for Diana is on the West Coast and I've thematically tied it to Diana and the Amazons's story, in a sense. With Gotham on the East Coast and Metropolis usually on the East Coast, I think Diana on the West Coast will add a little flavor to the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Preferably Diana is the first and foremost but I was fine with Byrne making Hippolyta GAWW in his run. If say Antiope had 1800's adventures in Man's World and called herself Wonder Woman it wouldn't sit well with me.
    I enjoyed the time travel aspect of Hippolyta being Wonder Woman with the JSA, despite the conundrum it caused.

If we get an old-school style Earth 2 back post Doomsday Clock, it'll be fun to have Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman be members again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Pre-crisis, there was also some sort of "early" Wonder Woman who continued to exist (or was resurrected?) as a skeleton and fought Diana in a two-part story. I haven't read it in a month of Sundays, and I can't remember if she was actually called Wonder Woman or if she just looked like her in the flashbacks. The story was drawn by Gene Colan and was written by...Roy Thomas? Dan Mishkin? I can't quite remember. I can see panels from the story in my head (like Steve saying "Angel, it's...YOU!) but don't really remember the thrust of the story.

I remember at least one really great Frank Miller cover of Steve Trevor discovering the skeletal WW with a sword through her chest, and the other cover was a disappointing (to me, anyway) Mike Kaluta cover, I think.
    I remember one of those covers.

In my Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee, I have a previous champion of the Amazons in their lineage (but not as an emissary to Man's World) and it's been a great way to include a character from the Wonder mythos.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Yes, she was aware of who he was, she knew he was involved with Lois, and even had the gall to tell Lois SHE was Clark's best friend when we all know that's the wife's job.

And yeah, that time they were stuck on Asguard where Clark rejected her on the last night...but that sadly did'nt stop her from continuing to push herself on him and not know her boundaries.
    um no...that's not the wife's job...your wife can be your best friend but not necessarily so. She should be your friend though.

All-New Member

Yes she was called Wonder Woman but she was that in Ancient Greek times...she was an amazon named ArtemisRCO003.jpg RCO004.jpg

I liked Gateway too and didn't realize it had been used for the Spectre previously.

NYC was good too, but I just have it in my head that Diana deserves her own city as the premiere superheroine of the DCU.

Like Gateway, my city for Diana is on the West Coast and I've thematically tied it to Diana and the Amazons's story, in a sense. With Gotham on the East Coast and Metropolis usually on the East Coast, I think Diana on the West Coast will add a little flavor to the DCU.
    If WW is going to have her own iconic city, having gone without one for so long, I think it's got to be a character, unto itself. There would have to be something about it that justified its existence...added something useful or interesting to the on-going narrative. I see it as being the 'X-files capital' of the DCU - a military port city, crawling with secret agents, curious aliens, time-lost adventurers, sorcerers [Sargon!] and mystical beings - that would be unique. It would have to be something original or unusual; otherwise, what would be the point?

We'd have no need for it.

Virginia Shoreline (even the name) is enough of a blank slate that it could become this iconic city, ..as could Etta's home, Georgetown (currently, my favorite). Gateway, having been home to the SPECTRE [Sheesh!], could become this city. Just needs a writer and editor, who care...

Marston City, anyone?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-06-2019 at 01:27 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    If WW is going to have her own iconic city, having gone without one for so long, I think it's got to be a character, unto itself. There would have to be something about it that justified its existence...added something useful or interesting to the on-going narrative. I see it as being the 'X-files capital' of the DCU - a military port city, crawling with secret agents, curious aliens, time-lost adventurers, sorcerers [Sargon!] and mystical beings - that would be unique. It would have to be something original or unusual; otherwise, what would be the point?

We'd have no need for it.

Virginia Shoreline (even the name) is enough of a blank slate that it could become this iconic city, ..as could Etta's home, Georgetown (currently, my favorite). Gateway, having been home to the SPECTRE [Sheesh!], could become this city. Just needs a writer and editor, who care...

Marston City, anyone?
    Agreed, to all those things... but, what I’m thinking and concocting uniquely stands on its own as a thematic reflection of Diana and iconically stands shoulder-to-shoulder with Gotham, especially, and with Metropolis, somewhat-ly (as I don’t think Metropolis has been as fully developed as it could be for Superman as Gotham has for Batman.)

It’s gotta be archetypal and inspire DC Comics and writers to want to endlessly play in its playground, much like how many writers find the setting of Gotham as interesting, inspiring, and enduring to Batman as the character(s) himself.

That’s absolutely what I’m striving for. A place where the uniqueness of Diana can be explored and flourish. We’ve gotta break new ground for her and let other writers and artists get inspired by the many, many facets of her life and legend.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 06-08-2019 at 08:22 PM.