Page 119 of 440 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 6586

Speaking for myself, I don't care for the retcon either. But my reasons have nothing to do with Superman, Batman, or the concept of the trinity. They're the least of my concerns.

I'm not thrilled by it, and I honestly don't know what it adds to her narrative. Being first certainly hasn't helped Clark in recent years. It feels a little too much like chasing synergy, maybe a little pandering, and is of course, a bit insulting to the character who actually holds that title.

But in-continuity, if anyone is going to be the first hero other than Clark, Diana's the best, perhaps the only, choice. So if someone is going to be first other than Clark, I'm glad it's her.

But no, 5G is not sounding like it's for me either. If we get some good mini's set in different time periods with the characters I like, great. I may check some of those out. But this new generation that's supposed to replace our characters? Not feeling that idea.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't really like anybody supplanting Superman as the first superhero (at least the first very visible, public one), but if it has to be anyone, I agree that Diana is the only choice I'm fine with.

But I mainly don't like that this is undoing Year One. And maybe Godwatch too, which is my favorite WW arc from recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    She doesn't need invulnerability when she can block bullets with her bracelets. That's been consistent since 1942.
    The bracelets are of no use if she can't see the bullets coming. The only thing keeping Diana alive if she has this weakness is people being too stupid to snipe her.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-15-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The bracelets are of no use if she can't see the bullets coming. The only thing keeping Diana alive if she has this weakness is people being to stupid to snipe her.
    Hmmm...that's not how Rucka wrote it.

Blind, she blocked bullets by feeling the movement of air in front of the bullet.

I don't care for the WWII recton either. It feels like weak synergy given it isn't even the same World War from the movie. But neither Superman nor Wonder Woman needs to be the first superhero for it to matter. No one reading this comic is going to put it down if that is not the case.

The retcon reflects one of DC's biggest weaknesses that plagues them to this day - the inability to move on from an idealized view of the past (WWII tends to be used as nothing more than a propagandized version of America's "glory days" and I'm betting we won't even have any acknowledgement of non-Americans' involvement in the war unlike the movie).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Hmmm...that's not how Rucka wrote it.

Blind, she blocked bullets by feeling the movement of air in front of the bullet.

The two recent times she was shot (one of which was by Rucka) didn't have her doing that.

Either way, it has always been a dumb weakness since they upped her power level. If GL can get rid of the weakness to yellow, Diana doesn't need to fear bullets. But that would require DC to pit her against opponents of appropriate power level.

So far Rucka wrote it in Rebirth that it hurts but she can't die from it. I think that's fair. And she does have a healing factor. Something minor like bullet wounds should easily be healed quickly. I would easily explain why she deflects is because she was trained not to take chances. Not only that but it can be a game to her

How powerful should the amazons be? I would say with Bullets one bullet shouldn't kill them. I mean we are talking about a new race. They should be slightly above peak human. They should be able to do things no human can do. I feel certain things that harm us should not easily harm them
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-15-2020 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But no, 5G is not sounding like it's for me either. If we get some good mini's set in different time periods with the characters I like, great. I may check some of those out. But this new generation that's supposed to replace our characters? Not feeling that idea.
    I think the whole 5G initiative is emblematic of a lot of problems plagueing both DC and various fandoms, by placing too much of emphasis on continuity, in checking boxes, or in exchanging puzzle pieces.

It's a lot of things, but it's not storytelling.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think the whole 5G initiative is emblematic of a lot of problems plagueing both DC and various fandoms, by placing too much of emphasis on continuity, in checking boxes, or in exchanging puzzle pieces.

They want to create new jumping on points for readers and are too obsessed with the idea that history is scaring readers. People coming to read Batman from one of his multimedia adventures want to read more of his adventures: his history. Sometimes a replacement works and people like them (Terry), but overall I think they're just really misguided in thinking the baby needs to go with the bath water.

I have zero interest in a Wonder Woman who isn't Diana or, perhaps, Donna or Cassie. Even Artemis I don't want to see in that role anymore.

I'm with Ascended in that I'll check out minis about stuff I like, but ongoing so far I only care about Jon Kent as Superman and even then I would prefer his dad stay in that role. Hopefully 5G gets retconned in a few years and it's the last straw for WB to replace the people in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The bracelets are of no use if she can't see the bullets coming. The only thing keeping Diana alive if she has this weakness is people being too stupid to snipe her.
    Poison was smart enough to try to snipe her through the head. It didn't work because Diana heard the bullet.

So if it either bounced off her head or played out like it did, the end result is the same. She is effectively bullet proof by doing bullets and bracelets, because the vast majority of the time the bullets are not going to hit her. Those that do and would likely kill someone else (as they did in an earlier scene in the same issue) would barely slow her down.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Poison was smart enough to try to snipe her through the head. It didn't work because Diana heard the bullet.

So if it either bounced off her head or played out like it did, the end result is the same. She is effectively bullet proof by doing bullets and bracelets, because the vast majority of the time the bullets are not going to hit her. Those that do and would likely kill someone else (as they did in an earlier scene in the same issue) would barely slow her down.
    One thing Superfriends did right here is demonstrating the bracelets can be used on a whole host of things worse than bullets.

One thing that is back and forth is her eyesight and hearing. At times she can see like a hawk and can ear things from afar. She can control these in a sense. But does that make her too much like Superman? I do think the fact she is bulletproof but the bullets can pierce is a nice middle ground. I do think she shouldn't actually fall if a bullet hits her.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

It is. Totally agreed.

It confuses me too. I mean, I think I can see the business sense of doing 5G successors. DC's trying to find new audiences and reach people they typically haven't reached before, and doing the "Son of Superman" and similar legacies is far more likely to attract the YA crowd than the story of our main continuity Superman. And we've got successful novels and OGN's featuring younger takes on these classic characters, so doing comics about their successors seems like it's worth a try.

But not in the direct market. The idea that the direct market product might switch over baffles me. The consumers who are already here don't want this, and those new audiences DC wants to reach aren't going into a LCS for 5G either. So why put 5G through Diamond? I feel like a bunch of bookstore OGN's based on the 5G replacements or digital books would've made a lot more sense than doing it in the direct market.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It is. Totally agreed.

It confuses me too. I mean, I think I can see the business sense of doing 5G successors. DC's trying to find new audiences and reach people they typically haven't reached before, and doing the "Son of Superman" and similar legacies is far more likely to attract the YA crowd than the story of our main continuity Superman. And we've got successful novels and OGN's featuring younger takes on these classic characters, so doing comics about their successors seems like it's worth a try.

But not in the direct market. The idea that the direct market product might switch over baffles me. The consumers who are already here don't want this, and those new audiences DC wants to reach aren't going into a LCS for 5G either. So why put 5G through Diamond? I feel like a bunch of bookstore OGN's based on the 5G replacements or digital books would've made a lot more sense than doing it in the direct market.
    Because DC seems to like taking decent ideas that could work and implementing them in the most baffling ways.

Anyway, at this point all I have to look forward to for the foreseeable future as far as comics go are the rest of The Green Lantern Season 2 and Historia (whenever the hell it comes out). Beyond that I can't think of anything DC is doing right now that is getting me excited. Even the knowledge that TGL season 2 is getting cut short to accommodate 5G makes my blood boil a little bit.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It is. Totally agreed.

Because look at their track record. The higher ups at DC (and yes, the usual fall guy Didio is a part of this) want to be the ones who save DC. They're a quarterback that only throws Hail Mary passes. When it works, they're the guy who made the hero play that we all look back on fondly. Problem is this isn't a movie, there's no soundtrack behind these decisions with a melodramatic upswell during a closeup and it hasn't worked yet. They did two Crisis events. They did THREE "Day The Evil Won" events. They rebooted twice. They're going to keep doing this until they're gone because they can only see radical changes, not the slow, consistent path of continuously churning out solid stories that build reader trust and encourage repeat purchases.

Putting a gun to a favorite character's head and telling the reader that the trigger is going to get pulled unless they preorder is only going to work for so long before they stop caring. If the turnover was less than the new reader influx that'd ultimately make sense, but customers do notice trends and new readers coming in are going to see that the reboots are happening more often, the stories still come out monthly and they're going to get turned and burned quickly. High time, price and possibly spacial investment just to get tossed aside for metaphorical new readers every five years? Yeah, that's not going to work.