Page 211 of 440 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261311 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 6590
    Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    This is happening with Batman and Superman to an extent as well where people are bringing up past instances of them killing in order to 'prove' that they are really killers.

Some will change their mind. Others will continue to be stubborn. We just need people like Patty in charge and people following Matston/Rucka/Perez's lead handling the comics. It might take a generational shift or two for things to work out.
    Not to the extent of them. I wouldn’t even say it’s close, as far as characterization goes. Batman is typically regarded as a stoic, serious character who thrives being casted in grim dark settings. Superman is the foreign alien who adopts the image and personality of a do-right Boy Scout.

With Wonder Woman? Her character hasn’t been fleshed out as much as theirs, her ethics/beliefs, her life outside of being a hero. My guess is some people would say “Oh, she’s the ‘feminist’,” all about that “Rah rah I am woman, hear me roar!” Types of things. Some people have a very unfavorable view of feminism, and things like Wonder Woman slicing and dicing away with reckless abandon with a sword may not be seen as out of character, but actually on brand. Scans like as seen above certainly don’t help by muddying the waters. Of course, I’m just speculating a bit about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Hum, the smile gif when she gets thrown around by Doomsday? Like, I can still recognize that Diana enjoys fighting, but more as a dance. I don't think she finds a particular pleasure in punching people repeatedly or stabbing them with a sword.
    That was thrown in by Gal Gadot not Snyder. Ironically, it's one of the reasons people liked Diana in that movie. Goes to show how superheroes being all peppy and smiling can have a dark side to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think this is it

He goes on to explain his issues with the character and DCs handling of her
    http://digitalpriest.com/legacy/comics/ww.html
    I respect Priest as a writer but the man has been known to talk out of his ass at times. This was one of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    So, that seems to be a major divide. To fans of WW, they like a well-balanced character who seeks to disarm her enemies and even attempt to reform them if possible. Non-fans want Warrior Woman, goes sword first into any interaction, leads with violence, kicks ass and asks questions later, no mercy shown/given. The question coming to me is: how do you go about bridging that gap, and is it even possible to do so?
    How to bridge the gap? Easy. Don't try to. Just focus on the real Wonder Woman and show how interesting and fun she is without worrying about what others expect of her.

Spectacular Member

A lot of people think it was downright stupid to see her swinging everywhere from a lasso like spiderman. they felt like the lasso was waaay too versatile. for example they hated she caught a tiny bullet. Too tiny to even grab.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    This is happening with Batman and Superman to an extent as well where people are bringing up past instances of them killing in order to 'prove' that they are really killers.

Some will change their mind. Others will continue to be stubborn. We just need people like Patty in charge and people following Matston/Rucka/Perez's lead handling the comics. It might take a generational shift or two for things to work out.
    I only bring up those instances to show that while some think "WW totally murders, she killed this one guy" they also say "but Superman shouldn't kill" and then you provide evidence to show that their preconceptions don't really match reality.

Moreover, Diana does not "murder." She didn't premeditate ending Lord. She killed him to resolve the threat after being told he would never back down. She killed him, but "murder?" That's trying to turn her into Frank Castle.

Like Clark, I'm not against Diana killing in extreme and rare circumstances, but it should impact her. Arguably less than Clark because of the culture she was raised in, but it shouldn't just be inconsequential the way some seem to think it is "because she's a warrior." She's still a compassionate human being who embodies the best of us. Being forced to end a life when all peaceful options broke down should reasonably impact her.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I only bring up those instances to show that while some think "WW totally murders, she killed this one guy" they also say "but Superman shouldn't kill" and then you provide evidence to show that their preconceptions don't really match reality.

Moreover, Diana does not "murder." She didn't premeditate ending Lord. She killed him to resolve the threat after being told he would never back down. She killed him, but "murder?" That's trying to turn her into Frank Castle.

Like Clark, I'm not against Diana killing in extreme and rare circumstances, but it should impact her. Arguably less than Clark because of the culture she was raised in, but it shouldn't just be inconsequential the way some seem to think it is "because she's a warrior." She's still a compassionate human being who embodies the best of us. Being forced to end a life when all peaceful options broke down should reasonably impact her.
    If there is one thing my past arguments about stories like Sacrifice and Man of Steel have taught me, it's that a disturbingly large number of superhero fans do not know what the word "murder" actually means. It's almost as misused as "Mary Sue" and "grimdark".

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

I think that Frank Castle bit is important since most discussions, unsurprising given how hyperbolic arguments on the internet among nerds can get, I've seen usually treat killing among superheroes as either you never do it regardless of circumstances or you have a black and white morality that would make even the Punisher even raise an eyebrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think this is it

He goes on to explain his issues with the character and DCs handling of her
    http://digitalpriest.com/legacy/comics/ww.html
    Well I can't say he's really wrong. All the stuff about writers being handcuffed by D.C. and Wonder Woman being a corporate character that has to remain mainstream and less than exciting rang true. Unfortunately though he doesn't fully get her appeal or why we as her fans enjoy the "goody-two-shoes demi goddess" as opposed to a more controversial take on her. Still his story where Hippolyta was brainwashed into thinking she was a housewife was pretty good, as was his new more modern characterization for Circe.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 01-15-2021 at 10:40 AM.

Incredible Member

I've watched WW84 4 times now, and I think I like it more than Wonder Woman 2017. It's made me more excited for the next Patty Jenkins/Gal Gadot Wonder Woman.

I also like the Cheetah/Wonder Woman confrontation.

Am I the only one who is on the fence with Diana going from in her 20s to thousands of years? I don't hate it for the movies because it shows she was on her own. i just mean in the comics

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Am I the only one who is on the fence with Diana going from in her 20s to thousands of years? I don't hate it for the movies because it shows she was on her own. i just mean in the comics
    I don't love it. Specially since Themyscira is usually portrayed as this place that has remained the same for thousands of years before Diana was born and nothing ever happens there, only when someone invades the island or when they go fight something outside the island. Which means Diana was stuck there doing nothing for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I've watched WW84 4 times now, and I think I like it more than Wonder Woman 2017. It's made me more excited for the next Patty Jenkins/Gal Gadot Wonder Woman.

I also like the Cheetah/Wonder Woman confrontation.
    Don't be brow beaten by the mob!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Don't be brow beaten by the mob!
    There is no mob.

The extreme defense of WW1984 and dismissal of its criticisms have revealed some pretty frightening things about certain members of the WW fandom.

Lol not this again. Cmon move on. And your definition of "extreme" seems to me hyperbolic.