Page 89 of 438 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 6569
    Boisterously Confused

Redacted. Too much opinion, too little empathy.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 11-11-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Astonishing Member

TBF to secret ID's, I'm pretty sure the names we're using in this forum aren't our real names, either.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

One of the things Perez did very right in his reboot was get rid of the secret identity. It sets Diana apart from Bruce and, until recently, Clark and I mean... she's literally not from man's world. She wasn't raised here and doesn't exactly act like us. It's very clear that she's from somewhere else. The only reason Diana Prince worked when they brought it back in what, 2006? Is because she had history under her belt now, but even then, it's not like it lasted overly long.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

Wonder Woman should have secret identity... But it must be so different than her wonder woman identity. She should be a male maxican with a fake mustache and a pancho on with sun glasses and the name should be Diego Gomez. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I feel like people are so desperate to have the secret identity back they'll reach for any reason for it regardless of how little it makes sense. Diana's level of education has had nothing to do with whether or not she has had a secret identity and she usually has to dumb herself down for her identity to work (great message for women and girls there). We've seen an educated Diana without the secret identity. We've seen a Diana who had friends and interests outside of superheroics. None of these required a secret identity.

Scans daily has a summary of an interview Brian Michael Bendis gave on Word Balloon. Here's what was said about secret identities.

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/8564598.html#cutid1

Seems like a good reason for Diana not to have one (not like there aren't plenty of other reasons).
    Bendis' opinion on it means didly squat to me, after what he did to the Super Family and plans on doing going forward.

Personally? I wouldn't mind Diana being "Diana Prince" when she's not running around the world helping people. Working in museum to preserve and teach history as well (perhaps showing off some of her sisters' art from Themyscira amongst the objects).

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Bendis' opinion on it means didly squat to me, after what he did to the Super Family and plans on doing going forward.

Personally? I wouldn't mind Diana being "Diana Prince" when she's not running around the world helping people. Working in museum to preserve and teach history as well (perhaps showing off some of her sisters' art from Themyscira amongst the objects).
    To be clear, it wasn't really Bendis' opinion but the opinions of other people he'd talked to about it.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Ah, but that's the thing: Do they? I mean it kinda makes the entire secret identity concept pointless if you can't hide your identity.
    That's just it, no one would know Diana Prince was the rich lady.

To be clear, it wasn't really Bendis' opinion but the opinions of other people he'd talked to about it.
    Considering he's doing away with Superman's secret ID, and apparently did something similar while at Marvel, I'd say its his opinion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Considering he's doing away with Superman's secret ID, and apparently did something similar while at Marvel, I'd say its his opinion as well.
    DC had done away with it in a prior story and Marvel had been moving further and further away from secret identities before Bendis worked for them. Don't forget the Fantastic Four never had secret identities.

DC had done away with it in a prior story and Marvel had been moving further and further away from secret identities before Bendis worked for them. Don't forget the Fantastic Four never had secret identities.
    That's actually a BIG thing in Marvel. A LOT of heroes in Marvel DON'T. It's why the registration act went the way it did. I wanna say less than half actually maintain a secret identity, but I'm not sure. A lot of costumed heroes in Marvel use superhero identities even though their real names are public knowledge.

But as someone in Marvel pointed out during Civil War, the problem isn't whether the public knows, but whether the authorities know.

Man, I don't think there's many left at Marvel with secret ID's (at least among the characters who carry their own books or otherwise "matter"). The Spiders, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil (at least sometimes).......and I'm honestly struggling to think of anyone else.

At DC, it's very much the reverse. Who *doesn't* have a secret ID? Diana, Arthur.....Michael Holt? Ray Palmer? It looks like Naomi won't bother using one......and Clark is giving his up soon.....but generally the widespread use of secret ID's is one of the (only) major differences between modern DC and Marvel. Diana not having a secret ID is actually rather novel for the company.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Man, I don't think there's many left at Marvel with secret ID's (at least among the characters who carry their own books or otherwise "matter"). The Spiders, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil (at least sometimes).......and I'm honestly struggling to think of anyone else.

At DC, it's very much the reverse. Who *doesn't* have a secret ID? Diana, Arthur.....Michael Holt? Ray Palmer? It looks like Naomi won't bother using one......and Clark is giving his up soon.....but generally the widespread use of secret ID's is one of the (only) major differences between modern DC and Marvel. Diana not having a secret ID is actually rather novel for the company.
    That's why I liked it so much when it was done away with (and handled well)

Diana was very unique in the DCU being, at the time, the only 'big named' hero without a secret ID. It made her the perfect ambassador for the superhero community, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I thought it was novel at the time, but over time the novelty has worn away. Diana not having a secret id hasn't factored into stories well, to me it seems we've lost more than we've gained.

dp 87.jpg

But all the marvel characters have a way to protected each other in someway. Diana can’t help the army if other gods decide to attack. Shouldn’t she at least use Diana prince in name only? Or at least protection items?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    But all the marvel characters have a way to protected each other in someway. Diana can’t help the army if other gods decide to attack. Shouldn’t she at least use Diana prince in name only? Or at least protection items?
    That's actually part of the reason heroes in Marvel are mostly in super groups. These groups often have dozens of characters associated in some way. SHIELD was a literal army and any hero associated had dozens of SHIELD agents to help with stuff. The Avengers were much the same way. The mansion had support staff by the dozen. Heck the REASON Squirrel Girl became an Avenger was to be Luke Cage's baby sitter! Good thing they got Doreen to do it instead of a random normal person because well... that was a nasty fight.