Page 328 of 440 FirstFirst ... 228278318324325326327328329330331332338378428 ... LastLast
Results 4,906 to 4,920 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    My controversial opinion is that it would be entirely worth losing the Justice League if each hero existed in each of their own little world's so I wouldn't have to hear about who can beat who ever again.
    This is probably the only time you and I kind of agree on something.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Are those from Marc Andreyko's Manhunter (Kate Spencer[2004-2009]) book?
    OMG...everyone who loves Diana or superheroine books in general should read that book. It is, in my opinion, one of the truly tragically underrated, pretty-much-forgotten comics of all time. And yes, Wonder Woman was a guest star (issues 25-30).
    WHat a great book. Kate was super resourceful, smart, and clever. The book characterization was as vivid as comics get, and the action quotient was amazing.
    DC kept that book on life support for a while despite bad sales because they loved it and when they started doing backups, they put it in Detective Comics which shows that they really cared about Andreyko's Manhunter.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

clonand run isn't that good. I don't know what all the fuss is about . So far their run hasn't done anything revolutionay. Bringing back some classic characters is fine. But i fail to see how that makes this such an amazing run. I don't know where all the praise is coming from. So far to me the run has been very boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    DC kept that book on life support for a while despite bad sales because they loved it and when they started doing backups, they put it in Detective Comics which shows that they really cared about Andreyko's Manhunter.
    I recall reading they had a similar attitude to the Jonah Hex series that was coming out the same time and similarly sold poorly. Can’t imagine DC nowadays letting those kinds of books run that long, lol.

I intensely dislike the idea of Bruce and Diana being together.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I'm not sure how unpopular/controversial that is around this subform.

Not that I disagree, it's just another manifestation of Bat-God and to WW what writer's following Miller's lead on wiriting the Superman/Batman dynamic is to Superman.
    Last edited by Gaius; 12-02-2021 at 10:39 AM.

I feel like its less that people think Batman and Wonder Woman should be a couple and more that people think Diana should be attracted to Bruce because he's Batman and ~allllllll~ women are attracted to Batman.

(though I am not dismissing that there there is a steady supply of WonderBat shippers out there)
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Not that I disagree, it's just another manifestation of Bat-God and to WW what writer's following Miller's lead on wiriting the Superman/Batman dynamic is to Superman.
    I concur. At least in this part of Obama's intrenets, WonderBat is not a very popular portmanteau. LOL

Well, good.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I feel like its less that people think Batman and Wonder Woman should be a couple and more that people think Diana should be attracted to Bruce because he's Batman and ~allllllll~ women are attracted to Batman.

(though I am not dismissing that there there is a steady supply of WonderBat shippers out there)
    It’s certainly Bruce Timm and Paul Dini’s reasoning, lol.

That’s always been the undercurrent whenever I see this “relationship” hinted at whenever it pops up and why it’s such a DOA idea.

I like WonderBat as long as Batman is more like Bronze Age self and WW is more like her George Perez incarnation.

I don't like it if it's about Batman talking down to Diana or something like that.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Conversations like these convince me more and more that most DC characters are better off in their own universe.
    Sales say otherwise. Team books like Justice League sell way more then solo books unless youÂ’re Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Sales say otherwise. Team books like Justice League sell way more then solo books unless youÂ’re Batman.
    There are numerous team books that do poorly in sales as well.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I like WonderBat as long as Batman is more like Bronze Age self and WW is more like her George Perez incarnation.

I don't like it if it's about Batman talking down to Diana or something like that.
    Do we have much actual examples of that combo though? When they started teasing them together in the comics, Bruce had (unfortunately) long moved past his Bronze Age self. And in the DCAU, they got Diana's character wrong in several ways and by that point, DCAU Bruce resembled his then-current comic self more than the bronze age (albeit, still much more tame and likeable).

Alan Moore's "think clean thoughts, chum" moment was pretty cute if it can be taken as an indicator that they hooked up on occasion. But that would be the extent of what I'd want out of them, just a few casual hook ups but nothing serious.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

My controversial take of the day:

Trying to set Diana up as having been a hero since WW2 and the first superhero doesn't really do her any favors. It creates lots of nebulous questions about when she left the island, what's up with Steve, why did things continue as normal despite her being there, etc. The only thing it does is make her "important" and trying to turn her into who Superman was in real life, but it doesn't actually prop her up in a meaningful way. If you want her to have golden age adventures, just have her get stuck back in time for a while. She's immortal. They more or less did this with Hippolyta and it works better than "she was actually there in WW2 just don't think about anything else la la la we can't hear you okay present day."

Her being the first or having been around that long has impacted nothing. The world is unchanged. It's superficial and only there to try and make her seem important. She doesn't need it.

I don't care that she predates Superman, Batman, Alan and Jay or is being sold as the first superhero. I do care that it basically turns her internal narrative semi-radioactive in a way that reminds all too much of the Hawks. She had a pretty great origin story that didn't need mucking up, but lo, they did it anyway.

I recall reading they had a similar attitude to the Jonah Hex series that was coming out the same time and similarly sold poorly. Can’t imagine DC nowadays letting those kinds of books run that long, lol.
    Jonah Hex and Blue Beetle. They just really wanted those books on the stands, and frankly, all three were quality.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    You and everyone with taste.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

That was certainly the opinion of the DCAU writing staff. Most the women fell in love with Bruce at some point. If Lois Lane and Diana weren't safe, you knew nobody was.

For the record, I don't think SuperWonder is much better. I do think Clark better matches with Diana (especially since modern Bruce has shifted further and further from someone Diana would actually care about as anything other than a friend), but I'd be fine never seeing either of them again.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Do we have much actual examples of that combo though? When they started teasing them together in the comics, Bruce had (unfortunately) long moved past his Bronze Age self. And in the DCAU, they got Diana's character wrong in several ways and by that point, DCAU Bruce resembled his then-current comic self more than the bronze age (albeit, still much more tame and likeable).

Alan Moore's "think clean thoughts, chum" moment was pretty cute if it can be taken as an indicator that they hooked up on occasion. But that would be the extent of what I'd want out of them, just a few casual hook ups but nothing serious.
    I always took "think clean thoughts, chum" more as "Robin's going through puberty and Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most lovely ladies." Not much more. It's no different than when a regular character fawns over a hero in their own book and just an observation that makes sense for a young boy coming of age in that line of work where everyone dresses... well, like superheroes. It's going to happen.

Bruce is just politely telling him to knock it off because he gets it. I don't think that everyone in the JLA being attractive is lost on the members, they just respect each other and don't bring it up. It's not as if Oliver Queen is the only one who is going to find Dinah attractive or that they all don't recognize that the resident Flash probably has the most sculpted ass in the group. It's just not talked about... In polite company, at least.

There's no way someone hasn't talked about flipping a quarter off that scarlet keister.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-04-2021 at 08:56 PM.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.