Page 189 of 440 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239289 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    To jump across the pond here, Marvel's NYC is full of fictional landmarks and locations in addition to the real ones, or that usually override the real ones for the sake of storytelling.

And not to get to much into Superman or Batman's controversial opinion territory but honestly I'd say Metropolis and Gotham having a distinct "character" is honestly overstated if you ask me. Maybe in certain adaptations or under particular writers/eras they do but Gotham in particular these days comes off as more just a pile-on of every "urban hellhole" cliché from the past 80 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    But why? Most heroes in the Marvel universe operate in real life cities but they still have their own fictional landmarks.

The thing I don't like about Gateway is that it wasn't created for Wonder Woman. Having to borrow a fictional city from another hero makes her look pathetic.

Sure, but these cities have been around for decades. It would take about as much time for a potential fictional city for Wonder Woman to reach this level.
    I'm not saying its not possible, I just think its not worth it. DC is not Marvel, yes there are some unique spots in NYC that spiderman has that the real world doesn't, but we can have that and more with a fictional city. She keeps moving around from one real city to another, its only a matter of time before another writer moves her from DC to Boston again. There is a lot of unique potential that Gateway offers that I can't see DC doing. And sure it wasn't originally hers, but it seems to be mostly acknowledged as hers and if she need to share, Spectre isn't a bad roommate. You can have more than one character operating in a city and even then Spectre and Diana are global. Metropolis and Gotham had time, Gateway needs a jump start.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Why does it matter most of Dc heroes live in fictional cities and many people still have found them unique. Also Dc only cares for the island so for the fact she should rather live on her home. The fact they do nothing means they shouldn’t be using it at all. We know nothing about her foster home. If we want a real city firm but they have to use it. We don’t get down time. In a way this is why Diana Prince is important. I mean we Wonder Woman she still has special treatment. I like the idea of her being able to not get that all the time.

With the bullets I would just like a simple answer since her feats don’t match the weakness. Something like no matter if she is a Demi goddess she is still an Amazons and all Amazons are cursed. Diana more so. Than she would be able to survive but can’t.or maybe she can but it doesn’t bounce off just makes her weak. They go in her but the healing abilities need energy depending on how bad it is. I mean let’s not forget her bracelets being bound together was a weakness

Gateway City can also be both. Diana can easily live in Boston or D.C. a city within a city. Since Gateway in many ways is to be its own dimension. So Diana lives in Boston but she needs to go to another dimension. She can easily go to gateway city. Something like that. There was a idea that many of the travels are though mirror so Diana can easily live anywhere.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-22-2020 at 12:12 AM.

I think Diana has 2 locations that she can really explore and call her own with 1 that she can share with other myth/magic users.

1: Themyscira; This is obvious, its her birth place and where her family is and its her to be inheritance when she is queen.

2: Gateway city; I already went into why I think this city is important to her and what it can do for her mythos. Basically, Gateway is to Diana what Gotham is to Bruce.

3: Sphere of the Gods/myth realm; Basically the magical realms that Diana can enter. Its where all the main mythological places from all religions exist right? So, Diana would likely have access to it. Its also connected to Gateway city which causes all the monster mishaps and portals and why it would be important for Diana to stay there.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Okay I know it’s weird but I would like Jumpa to go with Diana or find a way to Diana

Etta Candy. I loved Etta Candy but now they don't use her. Going back to Golden age Etta. I was thinking. What if there were two Etta? If they can do that with Wally why not Etta.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Earth 3 Superwoman is weird. She seems to be an Amazon but her secret identity seems to be Lois, meaning she’s Diana AND Lois’ evil counterpart. I don’t think we ever got her origin, another of Johns’ dropped plot threads.
    I love the idea/concept of Superwoman, but find it unsatisfying and vexing that Morrison coopted Lois Lane as part of her role in his standalone Earth 2 graphic novel.

Just because she has super in her moniker, that shouldn’t make her lose her Amazonian heritage. Diana has to stop losing her agency to any incarnation of Supes or Batsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kind of a tangent, but it took me forever to realize Superwoman in Crisis on Two Earths was actually an evil Mary Marvel and not an evil counterpart for Wonder Woman until I saw her Made Men were the Marvel Family and we actually got to see the evil Wonder Woman in that dock fight scene.
    Another instance of Superwoman not being remotely related to the Amazons of Earth-Evil.

I’m vexed!

Clearly I’m bothered by the idea that Superwoman of Earth 3 isn’t typically an evil incarnate of Diana and/or the Amazons. (But, in a way I’m thankful, because Superwoman’s origin is one of the first ones I’ve tackled in developing my Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee. I love to hate her so much and think she’s a horribly underused adversary.)

Since everyone is tossing out city preferences, I’ll state again that Diana should have her own iconic city. Someplace that’s all-new and from which we can launch an all-new era and epic of the Amazing Amazon. (Defining and designing Diana’s iconic city is another goal of my WWSBT.) I want to give Metropolis, and especially Gotham, a run for their money in being a unique reflection of its superhero and almost a character onto itself.

I Did Not Want Diana to be thousands of years old, it's needlessly contrived, complicated and problematic. That said now that she is I hope going forward there are a few amendments to her personality. Can we finally get rid of the fish out of water, can't pump gas, never been to Ikea tales some writers so love to tell? Can we be done with all the naivete and the overly trusting nature that gets Diana betrayed time and time again? You can be a compassionate good natured person without also being a doormat that gets taken advantage of.

Oh and while I'm asking for stuff, if she is so ancient can they showcase the skills, training, wisdom and leadership abilities she's picked up over the years? That doesn't seem like too much to request but with the lack of attention payed to Wonder Woman by DC it probably is.

If this is her status quo now she should basically be like Earth 2 Wonder Woman from the New 52. But I too kinda doubt she'll be written much differently in present day.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If this is her status quo now she should basically be like Earth 2 Wonder Woman from the New 52. But I too kinda doubt she'll be written much differently in present day.
    That's kind of what leads wondering what putting her back in WW2 actually accomplishes, well besides vague movie synergy. I don't really think most writers will go back and try fuse GA Wonder Woman with the modern post-Crisis stuff. If it's about giving her a leadership position, she'll just go back playing backup/emotional support once Bruce and Clark show up.

Her Golden Age personality should show up, the teasing and wise cracks and worldliness.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That's kind of what leads wondering what putting her back in WW2 actually accomplishes, well besides vague movie synergy. I don't really think most writers will go back and try fuse GA Wonder Woman with the modern post-Crisis stuff. If it's about giving her a leadership position, she'll just go back playing backup/emotional support once Bruce and Clark show up.
    It's weird because they are not even synching her up with the world war the movies used.

Wonder Woman's entire publication history is harder to have flow into each other than even Superman's, and tying her old school stuff specifically to a particular time period is going to make that worse. The likes of Morrison couldn't even get it 100% for Batman (though he came close), with Wonder Woman all her iconic runs don't really mesh together at all. The Multiverse is really the only way to have it all, but they just insist on having this shared legacy Earth despite all the problems it brings.

I mean in Rucka's run she was 23 years old if I remember or at least that's what he wanted. I do like the idea of her being 18 years old. That's generally the time many think you as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I Did Not Want Diana to be thousands of years old, it's needlessly contrived, complicated and problematic. That said now that she is I hope going forward there are a few amendments to her personality. Can we finally get rid of the fish out of water, can't pump gas, never been to Ikea tales some writers so love to tell? Can we be done with all the naivete and the overly trusting nature that gets Diana betrayed time and time again? You can be a compassionate good natured person without also being a doormat that gets taken advantage of.

Oh and while I'm asking for stuff, if she is so ancient can they showcase the skills, training, wisdom and leadership abilities she's picked up over the years? That doesn't seem like too much to request but with the lack of attention payed to Wonder Woman by DC it probably is.
    Agree that we need a Diana who knows how to navigate Man's World. The constant restarts hurt her there, since she constantly gets to relearn Man's World, instead of having her learn once and then having it stick. I really hope WW84 can make a difference here.

I think too few writers or their editors really ponder Wonder Woman and the Amazons. That is complicated by that the Amazons are one of the trickiest world-building projects in comics, due to the amount of interlocking moving parts.

We know that the Amazons went into seclusion at least 3,000 years ago. You can have her being born soon afterwards and still have her be young, by introducing some sort of magical time dilation effect on Themyscira, but that makes it much trickier to have Amazons with advanced science. She could be born in modern times, but then the question becomes why it happened at that specific time? Or you will have to get into the head of a 3,000-year-old character.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Her Golden Age personality should show up, the teasing and wise cracks and worldliness.
    Word.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])