Page 164 of 438 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214264 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 6569
    Fantastic Member

I dislike nowadays that Wonder Woman has to talk to turn on the lasso. I prefer when the lasso is touched by whoever it is, it glows and activated automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Steve being sidelined and his relationship with Diana being underdeveloped has nothing to do with her being bisexual. DC was doing that to him long before anyone even started expressing interest in her dating women.

Also, did Mala know Diana when she was a child because that makes things different.

And aside from one issue of Sensation Comics, Diana has never been depicted as an LGBT ally so saying she "works" better as one doesn't quite make sense.
    I discount Perez's run and onward because Steve was specifically aged up to act as a brother figure rather than a romantic interest. Nu52 had Steve basically cuckholded because Diana was dating Superman per the status quo. So really, Rebirth has been the only era where Steve and Diana are a thing in the modern day.

I would assume so, considering that Diana wouldn't stay locked in her room for thousands of years and how close Mala generally is with the royal family. Diana dating an amazon on the island before or after she leaves is a big red flag for me. It just doesn't sit well, its creepy and borderline grooming.

She's a humanitarian. I can pull up statements in her golden age books that showed she fought for everyone, LGBT+ included. There were minor moments that had amazons showing affection for each other and Diana supporting that. There is only so much you could do with comic restrictions in place at the time. But, you are right that if she is to be an ally their needs to be more than officiating a wedding.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think Diana being the only child can work, since it's an entire nation of people and not all the Amazons would have regular contact with her throughout her childhood and adolescence, so if some of them only get into regular contact with her after she's aged up to their level than it isn't as much of an issue for her to take some romantic partners, IMO.

But I'd prefer the Golden Age approach in which there are other Amazon children and she has peers to grow up with, and maybe some of her girlfriends are from that group.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I don't like her dating on the island either because, yeah, they raised her but the one defense I do understand is that if they really are 5,000+ years old and age normally until they're in their prime or some such, she'd have been an adult for so long that her being a child is a fraction of a percent of their experience with her.

I still don't like it, but after couple thousand years, I imagine nobody really remembers her as a baby except maybe her mom.

Her being one of many Amazon children (alongside Donna and Artemis) solves that problem completely and they should play that up.

But yeah, I don't like it. I'm cool with her being bisexual. Given her history dating men and coming from an island of all women, many of which are themselves lesbians where that's the norm, it seems highly plausible that Diana is interested in both. Fits as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I discount Perez's run and onward because Steve was specifically aged up to act as a brother figure rather than a romantic interest.
    Even before that, they'd tried to kill off Steve twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I don't like her dating on the island either because, yeah, they raised her but the one defense I do understand is that if they really are 5,000+ years old and age normally until they're in their prime or some such, she'd have been an adult for so long that her being a child is a fraction of a percent of their experience with her.

I still don't like it, but after couple thousand years, I imagine nobody really remembers her as a baby except maybe her mom.

Her being one of many Amazon children (alongside Donna and Artemis) solves that problem completely and they should play that up.

But yeah, I don't like it. I'm cool with her being bisexual. Given her history dating men and coming from an island of all women, many of which are themselves lesbians where that's the norm, it seems highly plausible that Diana is interested in both. Fits as far as I can tell.
    Would Artemis make for a better alternative as a love interest for Diana? She's an Amazon and wasn't raised on the island.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-18-2020 at 12:48 AM.

And there was the weird Anti-life thing with Grail.

Would Artemis make for a better alternative as a love interest for Diana? She's an Amazon and wasn't raised on the island.
    Could Artemis be her Catwoman ?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Categorically. I like Artemis with Jason over in Red Hood, but Diana works too. If there new Maxima was older, that may work too, but right now Artemis seems the obvious choice and she's a WW character which helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Could Artemis be her Catwoman ?
    Diana needs a male 'Princess Ardala' type to get after, sometimes. Like Feyd in Dune...

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...lcyokp9jpg.jpg
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    No I'm not, all these changes started with Wonder Woman message board complaints.
    I'd be willing to wager there isn't a lot of overlap between, say, the "golem" crowd and the "bisexual" crowd.

I shouldn't need to say this, but not all message board users share the same opinions.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Giving her a girlfriend would only make the character even more removed from most women’s experience and ever less relatable as a result

I think it takes away from Wonder Woman as a feminine ideal. Imagine a broad-shouldered 6’2 tall warrior who enjoys the company of women in the sack...most human males can only dream of being that masculine

And how exactly does Diana represent the experience of average women?

She was raised on a mythical island paradise where she's a princess, taught from birth to be both a great warrior and ruler, and is blessed by virtually a whole pantheon of gods.

There's nothing there a normal person can relate to. Diana is not supposed to be an Everyman archetype, she's not "Patty Parker" here. She's supposed to be aspirational, not relatable. Trying to make her "like us" just rips all the whimsical, fantastical, and fun out of her and her world. We connect to Diana because of her emotional bonds and responses, not because she has life experiences we can directly relate to. And much more importantly, we're meant to look at her life and her world and say "That's a better place than where I come from, and she's a better person than I am, and I can escape into this better world and get away from mundane reality." It's raw escapism, you're not supposed to relate to raw escapism.

And Diana has been a queer icon for decades, so DC saying she's bi or gay or whatever, and then maybe even doing something with that, is just them catching up to the rest of us. I'm still team Steve, but Diana being bi or whatever? That's not a threat to anyone. That's not taking away from her, or anyone else. And if most guys wish they were 6'2" warriors who got tons of ass, well doesn't that also apply to guys and girls who aren't straight? Do they not deserve their own escapism too?
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-18-2020 at 04:34 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yea I don't see how Diana being with Steve currently means that she can't be good Bi representation. I feel like a lot of people see Bi individuals who have an opposite sex partner as not being "truly" queer, which is pretty harmful imo.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Giving her a girlfriend would only make the character even more removed from most women’s experience and ever less relatable as a result
    ...but lesbian and bisexual women exist?

Like in large numbers. I imagine plenty of queer women would like to be like Diana, or to get with her. Who can blame them?

Quote Originally Posted by Valentonis View Post
    Yea I don't see how Diana being with Steve currently means that she can't be good Bi representation. I feel like a lot of people see Bi individuals who have an opposite sex partner as not being "truly" queer, which is pretty harmful imo.
    That is fair. I guess there is just a subset of the fandom that wants to have the relationship with Steve to just end and then have her date exclusively women. But, she isn't Batman in that way, to me she's more like Superman. She isn't a woman that would have multiple love interests or who would jump from one relationship to another. Steve and Diana should be an idealized relationship.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor