Page 289 of 440 FirstFirst ... 189239279285286287288289290291292293299339389 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,335 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Okay, let's move on then.

I don't think Steve and Etta are Diana's most interesting or necessary supporting cast members.

I also don't think they're the worst ones either.
    Yeah, I’ve never really cared for GA Etta. First time a version of that character won me over was LoWW and I didn’t really care for the EO version.

I definitely prefer the Kapatelis women.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Yeah, I think Steve can boring really quickly. I don't think Etta had a fair shake after the Golden Age, at least not until Rebirth. But as Diana's primary best friend from Mans World, is she really more engaging than Julia Kapatelis or Helena Sandsmark?
    They all need more characterization. Their biggest problem is underscored very well in your post: they're relatively interchangeable.

Whatever the direction, DC needs to pick a lane and drive. Give them quirks that fans can identify and make a part of their voice. Say what you will about Tom King, he made Kite Man a thing and now that guy's adapted to acclaim on a TV show. Everyone knows "Kite Man. Hell yeah."

Any of Diana's supporting cast can use some of that. Not a meme per se, but something identifiable. When you remember Alfred, among many other things, we know he's the mother figure of the Bat Family, has a scathing dry wit and makes excellent cucumber sandwiches.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-02-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

At the end of the day, Steve and Etta are just two characters. I think they are important and even if they are not always treated or developed well, that's hardly unique among the WW supporting cast, Amazons and villains. Other important characters can be added to that circle without the need for them to go away or be shoved into the background.

For me, Diana's ideal Man's World core cast would be Steve, Etta, Donna (as Wonder Girl), Ferdinand, the Kapatelis women, Mindi Mayer and a boss for Steve (either Darnell or Michaelis). They should be to Diana what the Daily Planet staff and Supergirl and Krypto are for Superman and what Dick, Alfred, Gordon and Babs are to Bruce. Everyone else comes and gos from there.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    At the end of the day, Steve and Etta are just two characters. I think they are important and even if they are not always treated or developed well, that's hardly unique among the WW supporting cast, Amazons and villains. Other important characters can be added to that circle without the need for them to go away or be shoved into the background.

For me, Diana's ideal Man's World core cast would be Steve, Etta, Donna (as Wonder Girl), Ferdinand, the Kapatelis women, Mindi Mayer and a boss for Steve (either Darnell or Michaelis). They should be to Diana what the Daily Planet staff and Supergirl and Krypto are for Superman and what Dick, Alfred, Gordon and Babs are to Bruce. Everyone else comes and gos from there.
    Darnell definitely. I think his appearance in EO was first pop up in decades

Yeah, I think Steve can boring really quickly. I don't think Etta had a fair shake after the Golden Age, at least not until Rebirth. But as Diana's primary best friend from Mans World, is she really more engaging than Julia Kapatelis or Helena Sandsmark?
    Etta Candy is way more interesting and fun than Julia and Helena. Like someone said, Etta is Lizzo or Melissa Mccarthy. She is a boastful woman of action that loves her body nearly as much as she loves eating and chaos.

I never understood the appeal of Julia. She's a nice intelligent woman, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    They all need more characterization. Their biggest problem is underscored very well in your post: they're relatively interchangeable.

Whatever the direction, DC needs to pick a lane and drive. Give them quirks that fans can identify and make a part of their voice. Say what you will about Tom King, he made Kite Man a thing and now that guy's adapted to acclaim on a TV show. Everyone knows "Kite Man. Hell yeah."

Any of Diana's supporting cast can use some of that. Not a meme per se, but something identifiable. When you remember Alfred, among many other things, we know he's the mother figure of the Bat Family, has a scathing dry wit and makes excellent cucumber sandwiches.
    OTOH, if something doesn't work they should be willing to change otherwise stagnation will cause it to sink. It's a matter of deciding whether a character or concept just needs a new writer or to discarded entirely in favor of new ones.

I agree with the posters above that Diana's supporting cast needs to be a combination of her Amazon family and her other found family in Man's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I never understood the appeal of Julia. She's a nice intelligent woman, that's it.
    She's definitely more than just a nice woman:

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I used be "meh" on Julia, but I've grown to quite like her a lot after some of my recent Perez re-reads. Vanessa as well.

They could just be balanced out with Steve and Etta more. Perez had them as the main cast over Steve and Etta which I didn't like, but balance it out more and we'd be fine. And I'd like to see Vanessa as a friend for Donna.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Oh yeah, she was not nice at all when she had to face Hermes...

Julia "Ya, feeling lucky punk?" Kapatelis.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

OTOH, if something doesn't work they should be willing to change otherwise stagnation will cause it to sink. It's a matter of deciding whether a character or concept just needs a new writer or to discarded entirely in favor of new ones.

I agree with the posters above that Diana's supporting cast needs to be a combination of her Amazon family and her other found family in Man's World.
    Yeah, locking half of Diana's universe away in Rebirth was a waste. Glad that's undone but my god the steps we had to take to get there.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Okay, let's move on then.

I don't think Steve and Etta are Diana's most interesting or necessary supporting cast members.

I also don't think they're the worst ones either.
    Strongly agree with you, which is why I loved when Perez made Steve an old man and a totally secondary character after the first arc.
    I also liked that Diana did not have a love interest until the sad arrival of Barnes in Jimenez's run
    Although I must say that the approach on Steve that Rucka did in rebirth I liked a lot.
    But I never felt very fond for the human characters that surround Diana (except Mindy Mayer perhaps), I prefer the Gods and mythological creatures.

Julia doesn't save Diana from the villains, Diana saves the villains from Julia, lol.

~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Still a downgrade from the epic Marston era Etta Candy and Holliday Girls.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Even on this board, her power level in that film isn't mentioned aside from one or two posters who keep annoyingly bringing it up. Most people on this board don't like Diana as a barbarian either.

I'd say wanting to kill a guy who was trying to bring about the end of humanity is far truer to Diana's character than being willing to let countless people die so she could keep her boyfriend of a few days.

Well, I don't know about it being worse than the Quest For Peace but the fact that it's politics are about as messed, arguably more so than a movie that came out in 1987 (and was part of a series with some questionable moments already) doesn't speak well of it.

WW1984 reminds me an awful lot of Steven Universe. It has ideas and themes that seem progressive on paper but its obsession with being hopeful and optimistic causes it to unintentionally stumble into some very stupid moments that undermine its intentions and makes it no better than the regressive works it is supposed to serve as an antithesis to.
    That is because for the most part. Her power level in WW 2017 is not too bad for an origin story where she is just starting to discover her power. W84 is a whole different situation. The writer and also director said WW would be at the highest of her power. Yet the end result was a hero thgat was depowererd for most of the movie and the action was sub par at all times. While WW 2017 had at least one really good action piece in No Man's Land.