Page 193 of 440 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196197203243293 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I have mix feelings. I don't mind Brazilan Wonder Woman but they could have used Donna, Fury or Cassie. They haven't tried to make Cassie in the mythos
    I'm with you on that.

From a creative standpoint I'm not a fan of every major character having a small army of legacies, but from a business standpoint I get why it's done and I agree with the basic principal.

So I'm not upset to see a new character brought into the Wonder-verse, because Diana is lagging behind her peers when it comes to legacies. And aside from the costume needing a minor tweak or two, I like the look of this chick (what's her name? Yara?).

But on the other hand, they don't properly utilize the two Wonder Girls they already have, the Fury moniker has mostly sat in limbo since COIE, Nubia is little more than a trivia "can you name this character?" question, and Artemis is just as removed from the Wonder mythos as Donna and Cassie. So what's the damn point of adding a new character when we've got four others who aren't being used?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

We just got Donna back in the wonder myths. Has Cassie and Diana even met?

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    The whole bodysuit doesn't have to go, just the top part, the pants underneath could stay. And I personally like the V skirt as much as the current skirt she uses anyway.

But as I said, even without removing those things, I really don't think it's a bad costume. Of the three things I listed, only the wrist blades and the shoulder pads are a definite no, but the blue bodysuit look overall is a nice modest look (and this is coming from someone who would love to have the bathing suit back).

How does any of that stuff highlight her gender though? How is a more modest costume somehow highlighting her gender, rather than the opposite?

And when did Finch ever say that the V flap was for vagina? I'm pretty sure fans just jump to that conclusion in their own.

As I said, it seems to get a lot of unnecessary hate of of things people assumed or blew out if proportion. And I feel like if wasn't for the wrist blades (cause as Wonderfans we hate how much they keep pushing her as violent and forget she already has her lasso), people wouldn't have reacted as badly as they did.
    Finch never said it, but adding a V flap/skirt/loincloth over top of pants is just silly to start with and serves no other purpose than to accentuate her crotch since she's already wearing pants underneath. Likewise, the armored cleavage guard stands out to me more than the natural cleavage would (when drawn correctly).

There are a goofy number of layers (bodysuit + bodice + armored trim/shoulder guards), and thigh-high boots are impractical as all hell as opposed to some sort of shin/knee armor (which at least would match the pointless shoulder armor)

All this art does is add to the original without improving it in any way, shape or form.

Praising Azzarello's run while dissing Rucka for disrespecting continuity is the height of hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Praising Azzarello's run while dissing Rucka for disrespecting continuity is the height of hypocrisy.
    I don’t have much use for the Azz run but how so? Just curious.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-20-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I don’t have much use for the Azz run but how so? Just curious?
    It's entirely possible to like both. I enjoyed both Azzarello's run and Rucka's first run on WW immensely (not so much Rucka's second run, though. No thank you).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm with you on that.

From a creative standpoint I'm not a fan of every major character having a small army of legacies, but from a business standpoint I get why it's done and I agree with the basic principal.

So I'm not upset to see a new character brought into the Wonder-verse, because Diana is lagging behind her peers when it comes to legacies. And aside from the costume needing a minor tweak or two, I like the look of this chick (what's her name? Yara?).

But on the other hand, they don't properly utilize the two Wonder Girls they already have, the Fury moniker has mostly sat in limbo since COIE, Nubia is little more than a trivia "can you name this character?" question, and Artemis is just as removed from the Wonder mythos as Donna and Cassie. So what's the damn point of adding a new character when we've got four others who aren't being used?
    To be as direct as possible, sans Nubia they're all white. Diana's corner isn't very diverse when it comes to non-supporting cast and Nubia doesn't actually get used, so Yara helps in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    It's entirely possible to like both. I enjoyed both Azzarello's run and Rucka's first run on WW immensely (not so much Rucka's second run, though. No thank you).
    I'm mostly neutral on Azzarello. The general overarching story is fine if drawn out and Diana as a character is I don't think is egregiously out of character. It's Zeus and the Amazons where it becomes a breaking point for me, though that's well-trodden ground by this point.

Though I guess if I had a controversial opinion on Azz's run, it's I actually don't care for much of Chiang's redesigns of the Gods. I appreciate the idea of giving all the gods unique designs that just different colored togas but most of the redesigns outside like Hera and maybe Apollo just weren't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I don’t have much use for the Azz run but how so? Just curious.
    Azzarello fans who hate Rucka's second run often accuse Rucka of being disrespectful of Azzarello's work ignoring that both writers were tasked with rebooting Diana for new audiences and that Rucka's second run was actually using characters and concepts from previous stories while virtually everything from Azzarello's work was entirely new.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Azzarello fans who hate Rucka's second run often accuse Rucka of being disrespectful of Azzarello's work ignoring that both writers were tasked with rebooting Diana for new audiences and that Rucka's second run was actually using characters and concepts from previous stories while virtually everything from Azzarello's work was entirely new.
    Well, yes both were giving marching orders to discard what came before with Diana, the New 52 relaunch for Azzarello and to tie-in to the movie for Rucka. Azz just had the cover everyone outside of Batman and Green Lantern pretty much got their history tossed out in 2011 where with Rebirth it was pretty selective/pick-and-choose.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Both runs have their strong and weak points. Azzarello's run has a strong, cool and compassionate Diana, cool revamps of the Gods, a solid story and great artwork. But the things that bring it down are doozies (Baby daddy Zeus and the Amazons). Rucka's run is entitled to take digs on it IMO since it took a dump on some major classic Wonder Woman elements, but his run being tied to cleaning up Azz's brings his down as well. The modern day stuff drawn by Liam Sharp is still very good and a breath of fresh air after what came before, but I think Year One and Godwatch are the best parts of his run since they just tell stories.

Had Azzarello just left the Amazons alone, and there were no other WW players in the rest of the New 52 while he was on the title, Rucka coming on right after him would have been sweet. It should have been the first time we'd seen Steve and Etta again, and Cheetah's introduction in Rebirth would have been way better utilized in the New 52 than what we actually got in that period.

I really, really don't want another Wonder Girl after Cassie. The idea of this mantle turning into a placeholder for characters before they "graduate" or get Tim Draked is just ugh.

I'm ready for Cassie to go, since she's not a quirky tomboy, anymore. What's she good for, anyway? She's another stupid bionic Barbie doll. What's so special about her?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-22-2020 at 12:15 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    To be as direct as possible, sans Nubia they're all white. Diana's corner isn't very diverse when it comes to non-supporting cast and Nubia doesn't actually get used, so Yara helps in that direction.
    She does, and I'll be glad if she makes it into main canon for that reason. But that's a common problem with most of the big name IP's except the Lanterns, and many of those Lanterns of color barely show up, or are otherwise limited and kept in their own corners.

Still, the diversity checkbox that Yara (that *is* her name right?) hits won't amount to very much if the Wonder franchise can't utilize her, and looking at the history with Donna, Cass, Artemis, and Nubia, they won't. It's not enough to say "here's a non-white character with a "W" on her chest! We're progressive!" if that character won't show up outside of the rare guest appearance. The WW franchise needs to clean and order its house before re-decorating will accomplish anything worthwhile.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Paquette's art on Wonder Woman: Earth One isn't that much more impressive than previous artists. Jiminez and Perez had art that was just as good if not better and nowhere near as exploitative and tonally inconsistent.