Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana rarely, if ever, fights like a wrestler. And your point was that Diana would make sense to fight unarmed which means no lasso. You can't have it both ways.
    What are you talking about? The lasso isn't an actual weapon and just like in that clip of her fight with Superwoman, her using the lasso is an extension of her wrestling techniques. The technical term "unharmed fighting" doesn't matter since the lasso doesn't change the way she would wrestle, just enhance it. Unlike the sword and the shield, which force her to fight in an agressive manner.

I didn't say it didn't make sense. I said your view about how Diana approaches combat like a game or a sport makes no sense for the type of character she is or the type of stories she is in. Treating combat like a game or a sport is exactly the type of thing a bloodthirsty Wonder Woman would do, not someone who uses violence as simply a means to an end instead of it being the end itself.
    Not at all because wrestling isn't inherently violent (as in, it doesn't inherently harm). Someone that enjoys the sport of it isn't bloodthirsty because wrestling doesn't cause harm. Your idea of Wonder Woman seems to be someone that hates her main job. Someone that doesn't like that she has to punch or kick or stab, and yet she does that every day. Which means that your version of Wonder Woman isn't a wish fulfillment at all since she is constantly relunctant and in anguish over what the world forces her to do. I'm proposing an archetypr and a fighting mindset that allow her to enjoy what she does without her using violence.

They weren't just exercising and training for sport. The entire point of the tournament was choosing an Amazon strong and skilled enough to fight against evil in man's world. Diana wasn't off to the Olympics, she was fighting Nazis in World War 2 and other supervillains.
    The amazons train all year long. They trained before the tournament and after it. The tournament isn't why they train
    So my point stands that since they are treating combat as a test of skill and strength, wrestling makes much more sense than for them to throws arrows and swords at each other.

You are contradicting yourself. BDSM is inherently sexual. You cannot say the lasso is not sexual when the entire reason for its existence is because of the writer's fetishes. This just feels like mental gymnastics to justify using the lasso and getting rid of the sword because some people don't like it. And frankly, Diana being objectified like this is more troubling than having her use a sword sometimes.
    I'm not contradicting myself at all. The lasso stopped being used in the manner of bdsm ever since Marston left. I'm saying I want to bring back the idea of dominance that it represented, but without the sexual undertone, and instead as acessory in her grappling. How am I objectifying Diana since there's nothing sexual about what I'm proposing?
    Last edited by Alpha; 04-15-2021 at 03:04 AM.