Page 61 of 440 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I've got something controversial...how about switching out Circe for Queen of Fables, without killing either off? How do you feel about writers, story by story, grafting QoF's cool qualities, like her weird look, onto Circe?

Circe's pretty boring, right now, and the Queen seems so quirky and creepy. Switch them! They're so similar; who's going to care?
    They have nothing in common.

I wish they would go back to emphasizing Wonder Woman's SUPERHERO elements more, instead of OVERemphasizing her Greek Mythology elements. Or AT LEAST find a good balance between the two. Hell, right now, she hardly ever even seems to fight a foe that's some type of god or some stand-in for a Greek Mythological figure/monster. That's pretty darn boring and restrictive, in my opinion.

In the golden god we had Paula. I wouldn’t mind if Paula came come

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

1. Dr. Cyber should be an extreme anti-theist, that hates anything that implies a divine or supernatural nature.
    2. Giganta should have actual mythological giant in her bloodline.

3.Steve Trevor’s biggest problem is that he lacks presence. He’s just a guy. What makes him special? Figure that out and you’ll unlock the character.

4. The lack of interesting male characters actually hurts WonderWomen as a franchise rather then helps. The Batman and Superman franchises are bigger than Wonderwoman because they use their supporting characters to reach alternative markets better. Batman has Robin(younger fans) Batgirl(female fans) Batwoman(LGBT fans). Even Superman who doesn’t have the massive supporting cast that Batman has still has Supergirl and Lois (female fans) Superboy(younger fans) etc. WonderWoman doesn’t really have that. The major auxiliary characters she does have (Artemis, Donna Troy and various other Amazons) seem to be doubling down on the audience she already has. Nubia’s really the only exception but they rarely use her.

5. The mythology in Wonder-woman isn’t a burden it’s a feature. No one ever says “why does their have to be so much science fiction in Green Lantern, or Film Noir detective elements in Batman.”
    The problem is that they limit Diana to just Greek Mythology. She lives in a world full of god’s from various mythologies use them.

6. Paradise island is over used as a location for Wonder Woman stories.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 09-04-2019 at 09:00 AM.

A man who looks to cook. The first man to learn Amazonian training. Goes traveling around the world. Does work to help out the justice league. This is why Gateway would be great. Place that has aliens, magical creatures. And Martson university. Diana doesn’t always need to go on a large adventure. Sometimes her town surprises her

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    1. Dr. Cyber should be an extreme anti-theist, that hates anything that implies a divine or supernatural nature.

3.Steve Trevor’s biggest problem is that he lacks presence. He’s just a guy. What makes him special? Figure that out and you’ll unlock the character.

4. The lack of interesting male characters actually hurts WonderWomen as a franchise rather then helps. The Batman and Superman franchises are bigger than Wonderwoman because they use their supporting characters to reach alternative markets better. Batman has Robin(younger fans) Batgirl(female fans) Batwoman(LGBT fans). Even Superman who doesn’t have the massive supporting cast that Batman has still has Supergirl and Lois (female fans) Superboy(younger fans) etc. WonderWoman doesn’t really have that. The major auxiliary characters she does have (Artemis, Donna Troy and various other Amazons) seem to be doubling down on the audience she already has. Nubia’s really the only exception but they rarely use her.

5. The mythology in Wonder-woman isn’t a burden it’s a feature. No one ever says “why does their have to be so much science fiction in Green Lantern, or Film Noir detective elements in Batman.”
    The problem is that they limit Diana to just Greek Mythology. She lives in a world full of god’s from various mythologies use them.

6. Paradise island is over used as a location for Wonder Woman stories.
    2. This I agree with.

4. A lack of male characters isn't an issue. DC not marketing her towards female readers is. The movie avoided this problem and is one of DC's most successful films ever made. Cassie, Nubia, Artemis and Donna are barely used as Wonder characters to begin with. Meanwhile, we saw what happened when they brought Jason in.

Hell, WW was created to appeal to alternative markets to begin with.

6. This seems like an odd stance to take from someone who said the mythology isn't a burden (which I agree with by the way).
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-04-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    6. This seems like an odd stance to take from someone who said the mythology isn't a burden (which I agree with by the way).
    Not really. I’m just saying the over use of Diana “returning home” plots seems to come from the fact that she really doesn’t have any other iconic locations to set stories in. Superman has the Daily Planet building, the Fortress of Solitude, the Kent’s ranch, Krypton etc. Batman has the Bat-cave/Wayne manor) the rooftop of the Gotham PD Station Arkham asylum etc.

I'll be the odd voice out and say I'm not really interested in seeing much of the island. I like my superheroes in a "real world" setting - the present of today in normal society. Sure, occasionally go to space, or the future, or the island. But I want the bulk of adventure in the here and now. And if I had to pick an alternative location, it would be the past of this world (preferably post WWI at least). And I'm not into the mythology heavy allies and villains, either.

I wish they would go back to emphasizing Wonder Woman's SUPERHERO elements more, instead of OVERemphasizing her Greek Mythology elements.
    I think that's me. I want to see superheroes comics, not fantasy comics.

Dr. Cyber should be an extreme anti-theist, that hates anything that implies a divine or supernatural nature.
    Do we have any anti-theist or vocal atheist heroes? Not just atheist-but-it-is-not-relevant, but ones where it matters? Because it can get tiring how having faith or finding faith is a good thing, losing it is bad, and such. Where when you have a character where their lack of faith is important, it's either evil or a result or negativity and lack of hope and such. Admittedly gods running around do throw a hamper in any real-world-like depiction of atheism or anti-theism, but then the same should be said for all the monotheistic religions, too.

Not really. I’m just saying the over use of Diana “returning home” plots seems to come from the fact that she really doesn’t have any other iconic locations to set stories in. Superman has the Daily Planet building, the Fortress of Solitude, the Kent’s ranch, Krypton etc. Batman has the Bat-cave/Wayne manor) the rooftop of the Gotham PD Station Arkham asylum etc.
    The Batcave, Wayne Manor, Arkham and the GPD are part of Gotham so it isn't any different than Diana's stories revolving around Themyscira. And given Diana is an ambassador it makes more sense for Themyscira to show up in stories than Krypton which is supposed to be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'll be the odd voice out and say I'm not really interested in seeing much of the island. I like my superheroes in a "real world" setting - the present of today in normal society. Sure, occasionally go to space, or the future, or the island. But I want the bulk of adventure in the here and now. And if I had to pick an alternative location, it would be the past of this world (preferably post WWI at least). And I'm not into the mythology heavy allies and villains, either.

The vast majority of WW stories take place in human society not on Themyscira;. The last island heavy run was Jiminez in the early 2000s.

It's also odd how you say you want her stories to take place in the here and now yet propose WW1 as an alternate location.

Do we have any anti-theist or vocal atheist heroes? Not just atheist-but-it-is-not-relevant, but ones where it matters? Because it can get tiring how having faith or finding faith is a good thing, losing it is bad, and such. Where when you have a character where their lack of faith is important, it's either evil or a result or negativity and lack of hope and such. Admittedly gods running around do throw a hamper in any real-world-like depiction of atheism or anti-theism, but then the same should be said for all the monotheistic religions, too.
    An atheistic character is impossible to pull off in a universe where multiple pantheons have been shown to exist. They pretty come across as people living in denial as opposed to just having a different opinion.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-04-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Batcave, Wayne Manor, Arkham, and the GPD are part of Gotham so it isn't any different than Diana's stories revolving around Themyscira. And given Diana is an ambassador it makes more sense for Themyscira to show up in stories than Krypton which is supposed to be destroyed.
    Same setting, different locations. Themyscira doesn't really have iconic locations like Gotham does, so the whole island tends to blur into one amorphous location. Its a good setting don't get me wrong, but it still can and does get repetitive.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 09-04-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Same setting, different locations. Themyscira doesn't really have iconic locations like Gotham does, so the whole island tends to blur into one amorphous location.
    Even if it did, it would still count as one location like Gotham.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-04-2019 at 11:39 AM.

An atheistic character is impossible to pull off in a universe where multiple pantheons have been shown to exist. They pretty come across as people living in denial as opposed to just having a different opinion.
    But the same applies to monotheists, and we have plenty of them.

It's also odd how you say you want her stories to take place in the here and now yet propose WW1 as an alternate location.
    I didn't mean for her - I meant for comics in general. Like, I have read very little Green Lantern, because I'm not interested in space-based. Sending Clark into Krypton's past - one 4-issue arc every decade maybe, but not more often. Don't really care about Legion because future. If I was going to read any location/time outside of today's real world, it would be the relatively recent past of today's world (probably in the same sense that I can easily read old comics). Anything prior to WWI, and I think it's a bit far removed for the setup of a superhero. I do read Victorian-setting mystery novels, and fantasy novels with pantheons, and watch sci-fi set in space. But that's not where superheros belong to me. It's not the right setting for my interest in this particular genre. I'm not sure where the particular line should be drawn. Interwar period, certainly (I liked Green Hornet radio serials), but when exactly? Late 1920s give us significant radio. I think mid-20s had an uptake in cars? Definitely by 1930. Radios, telephones, cars, etc. - I want those to be around.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-04-2019 at 11:01 AM.

I mean there are a few characters. Thinking many of the gods are aliens are just overpowered superheroes

I would make it so that her experiment in healing herself involved a hair from what she thought was a Greek god, but was actually a Titan.

Mr. Terrific is an atheist. But Diana is a product of divinity and has always been portrayed as extremely religious. So it’s not really a surprise that the positive aspects of faith show up in her stories.