Page 27 of 440 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Here's the thing, if she's hundreds of years old she'd been on the island several lifetimes before Steve crashed on it. What was she doing all that time? It closes off hundreds of years of backstory and it's a shame she'd have to wait so long before her real life as a hero/ambassador began.
    Wasn't Diana 23 before rebith? Make her early 20's at holliday college.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In a Batman Beyond episode, Bruce is seen looking at images of women he's been in relationships with. Diana isn't amongst them.

Calling it one sided may not be accurate but it clearly meant more tp her than him.
    Or, she isn't in the line up because they never actually got together.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

That episode of Beyond also came out before they even did JLU, so they hadn't come up with the romance yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What she's doing on the island is irrelevant. It's what she does when she leaves that is important.

To be clear, I don't necessarily want her to be 100 of years old but she doesn't need to be 18 either. It isn't lime her being 18 doesn't close off stpry ideas either.
    It interferes with her status as the only child on Themyscira. That's too long to be the spoiled pampered princess among a nation of Aunts. It's several lifetimes of loneliness and being different. It's too long for her to be a scientist developing the Purple Healing Ray or training as a warrior or guarding Doom's Doorway. With that amount of experience she should be one of the foremost scientific minds of the DCU and beat Superman easily each time they fight. It deflates the whole idea of her initial naivete, naivete that you can accept in a younger person but not in someone centuries old.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Wasn't Diana 23 before rebith? Make her early 20's at holliday college.
    That's why I want her young. I want those Holiday College stories, or the DC Super Hero Girls fare and I want her to be with her peers, not an old person trapped in a young person's body. She should get her Smallville like adventures. I believe there was even a failed television pilot based on that time period. In order for Wonder Woman to remain popular young girls need to see her one of them, at least in some incarnations.

Boisterously Confused

It interferes with her status as the only child on Themyscira. That's too long to be the spoiled pampered princess among a nation of Aunts. It's several lifetimes of loneliness and being different. It's too long for her to be a scientist developing the Purple Healing Ray or training as a warrior or guarding Doom's Doorway. With that amount of experience she should be one of the foremost scientific minds of the DCU and beat Superman easily each time they fight. It deflates the whole idea of her initial naivete, naivete that you can accept in a younger person but not in someone centuries old.
    I am assuming that you regard her immaculate (conception isn't right; what's the term for being divinely animated from inanimate material?) among immortal, barren sisters as essential? I don't forcefully object to that view, but neither do I hate the idea that Amazons are mortal, if long lived, and that Diana grew up among others.

I cleave to a lot of Marston's ideas and intents. The notion that Amazons are frozen in time, and that Diana is their only daughter, carved out of clay, isn't one of them.

I have a difficult time imagining Diana developing the compassion that is one of her hallmarks, if she is not merely The Princess, but The Only Child.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I am assuming that you regard her immaculate (conception isn't right; what's the term for being divinely animated from inanimate material?) among immortal, barren sisters as essential? I don't forcefully object to that view, but neither do I hate the idea that Amazons are mortal, if long lived, and that Diana grew up among others.

I cleave to a lot of Marston's ideas and intents. The notion that Amazons are frozen in time, and that Diana is their only daughter, carved out of clay, isn't one of them.

I have a difficult time imagining Diana developing the compassion that is one of her hallmarks, if she is not merely The Princess, but The Only Child.
    There actually are Amazon children in one of the Golden Age stories, though its never explained where they come from.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

It interferes with her status as the only child on Themyscira.
    No it doesn't. Besides her being an only child went out the window when they introduced Donna and Nubia.

That's too long to be the spoiled pampered princess among a nation of Aunts.
    Spoiled and pampered is not what I'm looking for in Diana's history.

It's several lifetimes of loneliness and being different. It's too long for her to be a scientist developing the Purple Healing Ray or training as a warrior or guarding Doom's Doorway. With that amount of experience she should be one of the foremost scientific minds of the DCU and beat Superman easily each time they fight. It deflates the whole idea of her initial naivete, naivete that you can accept in a younger person but not in someone centuries old.
    No it would not. She'd be stuck in one place for 100 years. That does not make for an experienced and wise person. She'd only be an expert on Amazon relevant topics but be completely lost on everything else regarding the rest of the world.

You're mistaking age with experience. It doesn't matter how old you are if your life experience is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    There actually are Amazon children in one of the Golden Age stories, though its never explained where they come from.
    In the newspaper strip we actually have one of the children explain her mother made her from clay. So presumably Dianas origin wasn't unique to her among the Amazons

No her origin wasn't special. Hippoltya and the first amazons were made from Clay. So Diana isn't special. Rather we see that Hippoltya became one of the reasons why the Amazons could have children.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 05-07-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    In the newspaper strip we actually have one of the children explain her mother made her from clay. So presumably Dianas origin wasn't unique to her among the Amazons
    Interesting, I really do have to get around to reading those newspaper comics.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

What do you guys think. That Diana should be the only child from clay or that other children should also be made from clay also ?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What do you guys think. That Diana should be the only child from clay or that other children should also be made from clay also ?
    Ive heard people make the argument that having Diana be the only Amazon born from clay makes her unique. But despite that, its not like you have people demanding that Batman be born from an egg in order to make his origin different from every other flesh and blood human being in the world.

Let the Amazons have the born from clay thing and it adds another layer to their society and makes them something that grows and develops instead of the stagnation idea that was in vogue for a bit there.

If anything it seems Hippolyta is the one who helped the Amazons get the clay.

B49816DF-0CCB-46FB-B089-8353B7747E54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Ive heard people make the argument that having Diana be the only Amazon born from clay makes her unique. But despite that, its not like you have people demanding that Batman be born from an egg in order to make his origin different from every other flesh and blood human being in the world.

Let the Amazons have the born from clay thing and it adds another layer to their society and makes them something that grows and develops instead of the stagnation idea that was in vogue for a bit there.
    Well there's the idea that Diana needs to be more powerful than others and if she's not the same then it's easy.