Page 163 of 440 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173213263 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 6590

They think Diana Prince is dumb since you know why would she want to work. With the Lasso, I don't know why they would get rid of it. I would honestly have it be Diana simply never uses that aspect. That she can abjust the lasso.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    For a lot of people, making Wonder Woman bi isn't changing her, it's simply acknowledging queer subtext that has been there for a long time.
    But look where that's gotten the character. You have a bi Diana that has one barely acknowledged past female relationship with Mala. Which means if we still follow main continuity, Mala waited until Diana grew up before she started flirting, which is gross. And a Steve Trevor that continues to be sidelined and poorly written despite being the main romantic interest. Not only is Steve sidelined, he's sidelined for other male love interest, which tells me that DC editorial views Diana's sexuality as something to sell during Pride month rather than a true part of her character.

Not to mention that Steve and Diana as a pair is barely explored not even in her only book might I add. Lets let Diana and Steve be in an actual relationship and let characters that are already LGBT+ be used more. Diana has always worked better as an ally to begin with.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I don't think Diana needs a secret identity. I mean, she already has a job, she's an ambassador. She has to deal with sociopolitical issues all the time. Not to mention it would already give her access to everything and every side character needed for her book. Helena Sandsmark works as a museum curator and Julia Kapetelus as a librarian or an archivist. Not to mention Ferdinand and all the other Rucka characters during the time her ambassadorship was take seriously. If its a monetary issue she is a princess with a vast unknown amount of wealth, ARGUS is a thing that exists so she gets support for from that, also she's Wonder Woman, I'm sure the local restaurant will let her have a meal on the house.

Like... she's a princess, a superhero, a teacher, an ambassador, and a bunch of other things. I know she is Wonder Woman and she can handle all that but, that's a lot of time and energy a team needs to worry about over a secret identity and all that comes with it. We don't need to add nurse or spy to that list.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    But look where that's gotten the character. You have a bi Diana that has one barely acknowledged past female relationship with Mala. Which means if we still follow main continuity, Mala waited until Diana grew up before she started flirting, which is gross. And a Steve Trevor that continues to be sidelined and poorly written despite being the main romantic interest. Not only is Steve sidelined, he's sidelined for other male love interest, which tells me that DC editorial views Diana's sexuality as something to sell during Pride month rather than a true part of her character.

Not to mention that Steve and Diana as a pair is barely explored not even in her only book might I add. Lets let Diana and Steve be in an actual relationship and let characters that are already LGBT+ be used more. Diana has always worked better as an ally to begin with.
    Just because some people mess up the concept doesn't make it a good idea to remove it. Just get better writers

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Can we please keep Wonder Woman how she is for once?

You got your way with making her suddenly bisexual with NO supporting evidence throughout her long history to justify it.

You got your way with making her tall because people kept saying Amazons should be larger than average, so now she's 6'2".

You got your way with removing most of the american iconography from her costume because you kept saying it didn't make sense.

You got your way with making her thousands of years old although her timeline is all messed up because of it.

You got your way with making her the daughter of Zeus because people kept saying she was a "golem" without a soul because she was made from clay.

Can we PLEASE leave bullets and bracelets alone before we mess up anything else? All these arbitrary changes just take her farther and farther away from her roots and the reasons people loved her in the first place. Geez!
    You're conflating a lot of different crowds here.

Yea but she can never really have friends or have her own time since people will always follow her. She can't always contact to a person if they think she is too famous. She is a princess.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I don't think Diana needs a secret identity. I mean, she already has a job, she's an ambassador. She has to deal with sociopolitical issues all the time. Not to mention it would already give her access to everything and every side character needed for her book. Helena Sandsmark works as a museum curator and Julia Kapetelus as a librarian or an archivist. Not to mention Ferdinand and all the other Rucka characters during the time her ambassadorship was take seriously. If its a monetary issue she is a princess with a vast unknown amount of wealth, ARGUS is a thing that exists so she gets support for from that, also she's Wonder Woman, I'm sure the local restaurant will let her have a meal on the house.

Like... she's a princess, a superhero, a teacher, an ambassador, and a bunch of other things. I know she is Wonder Woman and she can handle all that but, that's a lot of time and energy a team needs to worry about over a secret identity and all that comes with it. We don't need to add nurse or spy to that list.
    Characters that don't have secret identities tend to struggle keeping non superhero supporting casts i've noticed. It's during the main characters off hours as a non superhero that alot of their supporting cast gets development. Their is a tendancy with public identity heroes to be in "hero mode" all the time, so their supporting casts wind up being other superheroes.

Diana didn't have that problem because her job as an ambassador ment she had roots somewhere, and wasn't a constant wanderer with a bunch of vagabond supporting cast members that wander in and out of her life before they can leave much of an impression.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 06-16-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Steve being sidelined and his relationship with Diana being underdeveloped has nothing to do with her being bisexual. DC was doing that to him long before anyone even started expressing interest in her dating women.

Also, did Mala know Diana when she was a child because that makes things different.

And aside from one issue of Sensation Comics, Diana has never been depicted as an LGBT ally so saying she "works" better as one doesn't quite make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Yea but she can never really have friends or have her own time since people will always follow her. She can't always contact to a person if they think she is too famous. She is a princess.
    These are problems that have rarely if ever affected Diana. She befriended Steve, Etta, the Kapatelis, the Sandsmarks and others just fine. If a writer (or an editor as if often the case for Diana) doesn't want a superhero hanging around normal humans, then it won't happen. A secret identity or lack thereof plays no part in it.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-16-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    You're conflating a lot of different crowds here.
    No I'm not, all these changes started with Wonder Woman message board complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    No I'm not, all these changes started with Wonder Woman message board complaints.
    The golem claims only started coming up after the Zeus origin was brought in. No one asked for the Zeus origin on message boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The golem claims only started coming up after the Zeus origin was brought in. No one asked for the Zeus origin on message boards.
    Not true. There were many posts about how Diana was unrelatable because of her clay origin long before Zeus entered the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Not true. There were many posts about how Diana was unrelatable because of her clay origin long before Zeus entered the scene.
    And the "golem" thing was used by.....Morrison? as a weakness at least once too; turning Diana back into clay.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And the "golem" thing was used by.....Morrison? as a weakness at least once too; turning Diana back into clay.
    The golem thing was at first brought up by Heinberg I think, but Byrne was the one who turned her back to clay.

I think anyway, I have no burning desire to read Byrne's run to check lol.

And it was a criticism that not only missed the mark (relatability isn't everything in a superhero), it put the cart before the horse as well (it put background changes before demanding better stories).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Thanks Nyssane