Page 218 of 440 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228268318 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 6590
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The explosion wasn't even that large in the first place.
    Except it was. We saw large bits of concrete fly past the officers outside that could've easily killed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    It's also worth pointing out that the show doesn't paint Wanda's actions as heroic or noble. And, slight spoiler, when she's confronted with what she's doing, she freaks out and tries to let them go.
    Yes that's true. But the people in the show also more-or less let Wanda go with a slap of the wrist. I guess they figure they couldn't stop her from leaving anyway.

Wait what are Diana's skillset? I mean one thing I have to ask is her hearing. Does she have superhearing because it seems they have limited that. There is also a question of her healing factor sometimes it's slower or other times faster.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Wait what are Diana's skillset? I mean one thing I have to ask is her hearing. Does she have superhearing because it seems they have limited that. There is also a question of her healing factor sometimes it's slower or other times faster.
    She does have superhuman senses. I think the only one that was ever well documented was her sense of touch since she can feel air currents, which was how she could fight blind. She has shown super human hearing a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    She does have superhuman senses. I think the only one that was ever well documented was her sense of touch since she can feel air currents, which was how she could fight blind. She has shown super human hearing a few times.
    That's good. It's just that at times DC lessens her Superhuman senses. Like her speed or strong is decrease

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    That's good. It's just that at times DC lessens her Superhuman senses. Like her speed or strong is decrease
    Yeah, that happens a lot to comic books characters. Wonder Woman isn't the exception, sadly.

Diana working at Taco Whiz was a good thing.

If for no other reason than, whenever some writer goes off on how she doesn't understand humans or is aloof or whatever, I can scream, "The woman worked in a fast food restaurant and in no way considered it beneath her!"

If for no other reason than, whenever some writer goes off on how she doesn't understand humans or is aloof or whatever, I can scream, "The woman worked in a fast food restaurant and in no way considered it beneath her!"
    Building off this a bit but reading through some of the recent Messnar-Loebs trades, I think his run gets some flak it doesn’t really deserve. The art situation for the most I would agree is as mixed/bad as most would say but most of the actual stories I’ve read so far are fairly decent honestly. Taco Wiz stuff is also fairly brief overall and has some cheesy charm to it given it comes off as tongue-in-cheek.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

She didn't use a sword once in that scene and people are still complaining.

The lasso only exists because of Marston's interest in s&m. Let's not act like it goes any deeper than that.
    You do realize quite a few characters are designed based on the particular interests of their creators, right? Infantino was asked to draw his dream girl and we got Black Canary. Bob Kane wanted to be a rich playboy and brought that to Bill Finger to make Batman. Matter Eater Lad came from a bad case of indigestion, so he can eat anything and comes from the planet Bismol.

Regardless of why they were on the page, they all add to the characters who all have evolved beyond their initial depiction. Diana is much the same.

The lasso is iconic and pretty unique in Diana's arsenal. It's multifunctional. The sword and shield makes her diet Xena. It will forever be the symbol of overcompensation in trying to make her cool to guys. It's like they're of the mind she's lame on her own, but if we make her scowl and give her a sword and shield people will be reminded of other heroes the like and Diana can use some of that residual affection to get their money. It's the angry Superman with his face in shadow save his glowing red eyes for Wonder Woman. Cool for an image but not an excuse for the real deal. Hard pass.
    Last edited by Robanker; 04-09-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You do realize quite a few characters are designed based on the particular interests of their creators, right? Infantino was asked to draw his dream girl and we got Black Canary. Bob Kane wanted to be a rich playboy and brought that to Bill Finger to make Batman. Matter Eater Lad came from a bad case of indigestion, so he can eat anything and comes from the planet Bismol.
    Yeah, and they're not immune to criticism either. Black Canary's original costume has been redesigned for a reason and Batman being a rich playboy hasn't aged as well as some have liked not unlike some of Marston's writing (some).

"This is what the creator wanted" is not an ironclad defense. Sometimes what the creator wants either sucks or has some issues that people don't exactly consider.

Regardless of why they were on the page, they all add to the characters who all have evolved beyond their initial depiction. Diana is much the same.
    "Evolved" being the key word here.

The lasso is iconic and pretty unique in Diana's arsenal. It's multifunctional. The sword and shield makes her diet Xena. It will forever be the symbol of overcompensation in trying to make her cool to guys. It's like they're of the mind she's lame on her own, but if we make her scowl and give her a sword and shield people will be reminded of other heroes the like and Diana can use some of that residual affection to get their money. It's the angry Superman with his face in shadow save his glowing red eyes for Wonder Woman. Cool for an image but not an excuse for the real deal. Hard pass.
    But the lasso is not going anywhere. The sword is not replacing it. And I think calling her diet Xena just because she uses a sword is a shallow misunderstanding of both characters. For one thing, Diana was using a sword before Xena appeared. Dismissing it as an attempt at making her edgy just feels like an overreaction and focusing on the symptoms of Diana's issues rather than the disease. We might as well get rid of her Amazon background, her Greek mythology and say she isn't bisexual because, hey, those things apply to Xena as well.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-10-2021 at 12:16 AM.

"What's wrong with feeding people?" Nothing Diana. Nothing at all. She didn't even do it under a secret identity.

Yeah, and they're not immune to criticism either. Black Canary's original costume has been redesigned for a reason and Batman being a rich playboy hasn't aged as well as some have liked not unlike some of Marston's writing (some).

"This is what the creator wanted" is not an ironclad defense. Sometimes what the creator wants either sucks or has some issues that people don't exactly consider.

"Evolved" being the key word here.

But the lasso is not going anywhere. The sword is not replacing it. And I think calling her diet Xena just because she uses a sword is a shallow misunderstanding of both characters. For one thing, Diana was using a sword before Xena appeared. Dismissing it as an attempt at making her edgy just feels like an overreaction and focusing on the symptoms of Diana's issues rather than the disease. We might as well get rid of her Amazon background, her Greek mythology and say she isn't bisexual because, hey, those things apply to Xena as well.
    The sword is different though. It's distinctly Xena and fair or not has come to symbolize the symptoms of the disease to please male readers and the whole daddy Zeus thing many of us find abhorrent.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Diana didn't use a sword that much before Xena appeared (not as much as she has recently), and all that other stuff you listed was in place well before Xena was invented. They are not issues of concern, so why bring it up? The Amazon thing in particular is more strongly associated with Gabrielle anyway. I do agree that the comparisons to Xena are often shallow, but mostly because I think Xena is a much better character than the overly aggressive sword wielding Diana we get in stuff like Johns' New 52 output. We love Xena for Xena, that doesn't mean we want Diana become like her, especially as just a pale imitation.

And while there is no guarantee the lasso will be lost, we shouldn't rule it out either. Sometimes new controversial takes on characters gain traction and coincide with an upsurge in popularity, making it more difficult to move on from it. Look what happened to Batman after Frank Miller.

It's funny, I've never watched Xena but wasn't her more notable weapon the chakram rather than a sword? At least that's from what I've seen in the images and clips I've seen from the show.

Though I guess Diana's movie/Rebirth outfit is Xena-ish even if giving Diana a hoplite/legionary inspired look also pre-dates Xena.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It's funny, I've never watched Xena but wasn't her more notable weapon the chakram rather than a sword? At least that's from what I've seen in the images and clips I've seen from the show.

Though I guess Diana's movie/Rebirth outfit is Xena-ish even if giving Diana a hoplite/legionary inspired look also pre-dates Xena.
    Yes the chakram was her more prominent weapon, though that was used in lethal ways too (imbedding in people, slicing throats, etc).

Which again, is fine. Xena is awesome and complex, but love her for her and WW for WW. And the comparisons to how modern Diana is sometimes written actually do a disservice to Xena lol.