Page 207 of 440 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217257307 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,105 of 6586

I don’t care for Yanick Paquette’s art in the Earth One books. Comes off as inappropriate in some areas and seeing the classic swimsuit costume now in comparison to the movie/Rebirth in other books just kind of highlights how dated it looks.

The Wonder Woman franchise still has a long way to go when it comes to race. Yara and Nubia's recent pushes are a step in the right direction but more can and should be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Wonder Woman franchise still has a long way to go when it comes to race. Yara and Nubia's recent pushes are a step in the right direction but more can and should be done.
    It would help if we had a second title to push some of the pre-existing side characters, but I feel like the last thing we need is even more side characters and side kicks.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    It would help if we had a second title to push some of the pre-existing side characters, but I feel like the last thing we need is even more side characters and side kicks.
    Nubia aside, I'm not thrilled with the idea of more mantle sharing/side kicks either, but yeah an additional book to feature other supporting characters in the franchise more regularly and with more space would be appreciated.

From current Etta, to Trevor Barnes and his family coming back, porting over any race-bent Amazons from Historia and giving them bigger roles (along with the few named POC ones we have), maybe revamping some Holliday Girls, etc.

Also, preferably bring Akila back and ignore everything about her from Red Hood and the Outlaws.

I loved the origin and friendship between Diana, Rucka gave to Barbara Minerva in rebirth but also enjoy the greedy heiress of the Perez era. I feel like there is a way to have both, like Barbara being nice and loving to Diana at first then slowly revealing how she really is as time goes on, but I can never find a good beat to it for a story. Like I feel there has to be more then just anger and sadness at Diana for Barbara wanting to stay in the cheetah form. Gaining a hatred of Gods and anything magical (a form a self hatred maybe) was an interesting take by Orlando during Villain's month.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I loved the origin and friendship between Diana, Rucka gave to Barbara Minerva in rebirth but also enjoy the greedy heiress of the Perez era. I feel like there is a way to have both, like Barbara being nice and loving to Diana at first then slowly revealing how she really is as time goes on, but I can never find a good beat to it for a story. Like I feel there has to be more then just anger and sadness at Diana for Barbara wanting to stay in the cheetah form. Gaining a hatred of Gods and anything magical (a form a self hatred maybe) was an interesting take by Orlando during Villain's month.
    Barbara is referred to as a "controversial" archaeologist in a news broadcast, and there is the summoning of the chimera at the Smithsonian that could have been secretly her messing around with stuff. I don't think she would ever be as ruthless as the Perez version, but there are things to seize upon if we want her to have shadier aspects.

I feel there is way to have both, it's possible to be considered a decent person by some but awful by others in the real world so I feel the right writer could combine the two. Given they meet when Diana first comes to Man's World and is still rather naive, it's possible Diana doesn't see Barbara's negative traits until later on.

Though like Siege said it's doubtful Rucka's Barbara would have ever been as ruthless as Perez's pre-curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Barbara is referred to as a "controversial" archaeologist in a news broadcast, and there is the summoning of the chimera at the Smithsonian that could have been secretly her messing around with stuff. I don't think she would ever be as ruthless as the Perez version, but there are things to seize upon if we want her to have shadier aspects.
    Might be me but I took "controversial" in that she supported stuff that pre-Diana's entry (and in the real world) would be considered fringe pseudo-history. Though I guess that could be expanded upon beyond what Rucka showed.

Diana shouldn't be the only kid. A kid like Donna should be recused by Diana. Maybe at a time the Amazons did leave the Island and took abandoned children but stopped because they thought the Man's world was too messy to save

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I feel there is way to have both, it's possible to be considered a decent person by some but awful by others in the real world so I feel the right writer could combine the two. Given they meet when Diana first comes to Man's World and is still rather naive, it's possible Diana doesn't see Barbara's negative traits until later on.

Though like Siege said it's doubtful Rucka's Barbara would have ever been as ruthless as Perez's pre-curse.

Might be me but I took "controversial" in that she supported stuff that pre-Diana's entry (and in the real world) would be considered fringe pseudo-history. Though I guess that could be expanded upon beyond what Rucka showed.
    From what I remember, Steve didn't seem to particularly like Barbara Ann very much and gave up on her pretty quickly after the Cheetah transformation. I also think Rucka showed friction in the Diana/Barbara dynamic when Barbara wanted to leave to study Urzkataga with Cale's funding. Diana is shown very much against the idea and their differing world philosophies and Barbara's hubris and ironically Diana's pragmatic wisdom - not naivete - is on display in their scene.

It's why I wish we could get some comics that more explores the Diana/Barbara dynamic or an animated series that does. I think Rucka showed glimpses that their friendship could never last, and I find the Diana/Barbara dynamic to be more intriguing than the Wonder Woman/Cheetah one.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    From what I remember, Steve didn't seem to particularly like Barbara Ann very much and gave up on her pretty quickly after the Cheetah transformation. I also think Rucka showed friction in the Diana/Barbara dynamic when Barbara wanted to leave to study Urzkataga with Cale's funding. Diana is shown very much against the idea and their differing world philosophies and Barbara's hubris and ironically Diana's pragmatic wisdom - not naivete - is on display in their scene.

It's why I wish we could get some comics that more explores the Diana/Barbara dynamic or an animated series that does. I think Rucka showed glimpses that their friendship could never last, and I find the Diana/Barbara dynamic to be more intriguing than the Wonder Woman/Cheetah one.
    I don't recall that with Steve really pre-Cheetah but he definitely wasn't as quick to forgive her like Diana and Etta where in the present The Lies/The Truth portions of the run.

Hopefully you're right if there's ever a WW:TAS they wait on Cheetah like they did Two-Face in B:TAS.

I am sure it didn't age well at all with the 90's dated fashion overload and cheesecake galore, OOC terrible mother Hippolyta and other justifiably horribly written storylines, but I kinda enjoyed the Mike Deodato WW era in the mid-90's. Maybe it was just because of the art and Artemis' debut, but I see WW#90-#101 as such a guilty pleasure read.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Wonder Woman family in general is so ignored that it feels like it barely has ever passed the "infancy" stage. But it'd be very simple to change Artemis's race and even Donnas. It was one of the highlights of Wonder Woman E1 book and something they should've adapted for the main DCverse.

Agreed. Even adding a third Amazon tribe is stretching things a bit. But since most of WWs supporting cast/side kicks are so unknown by the general public, changing their races would be an easy thing to do I feel like.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-11-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I am sure it didn't age well at all with the 90's dated fashion overload and cheesecake galore, OOC terrible mother Hippolyta and other justifiably horribly written storylines, but I kinda enjoyed the Mike Deodato WW era in the mid-90's. Maybe it was just because of the art and Artemis' debut, but I see WW#90-#101 as such a guilty pleasure read.
    I haven't gotten to the Deodato issues yet but reading through the rather recent trade release, I have to say I've enjoyed the Messnar-Loebs issues more than what I was expecting based off reputation. Though I would say people are mostly right on when they talk about the art situation of his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    The Wonder Woman family in general is so ignored that it feels like it barely has ever passed the "infancy" stage. But it'd be very simple to change Artemis's race and even Donnas. It was one of the highlights of Wonder Woman E1 book and something they should've adapted for the main DCverse.

Agreed. Even adding a third Amazon tribe is stretching things a bit. But since most of WWs supporting cast/side kicks are so unknown by the general public, changing their races would be an easy thing to do I feel like.
    No, no, no, no! Stop race bending known characters. It's lazy, tiresome and fake progression. The answer to diversity is making characters of color so amazing that everyone is drawn to them.