Page 112 of 438 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 6568

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    This is funny.
    This is not a good response.
    Not to mention responding to a comment with a source without using a source of your own.
    Last edited by TheRay; 01-17-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Diversity and development of the Amazons is more important than the Invisible Plane and pandering to Marston-era kinks and outdated ideas about psychology.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diversity and development of the Amazons is more important than the Invisible Plane and pandering to Marston-era kinks and outdated ideas about psychology.
    It's not as if any of that is mutually exclusive.

Tackling psychology in general would be good for Wonder Woman, just make it more up to date along with everything else.

What SiegePerilous02 said. Especially since I think having a non-kink-shaming and queer-positive writer is crucial for developing the Amazons.

Marston's theories are of course outdated, but the fields he were interested in, like feminism, leadership, non-standard sexuality, or child welfare are all highly relevant still.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    What SiegePerilous02 said. Especially since I think having a non-kink-shaming and queer-positive writer is crucial for developing the Amazons.

Marston's theories are of course outdated, but the fields he were interested in, like feminism, leadership, non-standard sexuality, or child welfare are all highly relevant still.
    Yeah, it was written in the 1940s so it definitely needs to be overhauled, but the fields are still relevant today. And Wonder Woman and her world are missing a vital, interesting component without it.

As for the invisible planes and other technology, we do have Rucka's Year One in which those things are present along with more non-white Amazons like Philippus, Areto and Epione, and more POCs in the crowd scenes. I'm also curious to see if DeConnick and Jimenez include some Amazon technology by the time Steve crashes on the island, they are already showing some diverse characters in the preview images.

Ahhhh, this reminds me of Earth One. Tackled Marston’s topics, but forgot to write an interesting story, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Ahhhh, this reminds me of Earth One. Tackled Marston’s topics, but forgot to write an interesting story, lol.
    Thing is, I think Morrison went about it ass-backwards. Where Marston was kink-positive, Morrison was kink-shaming. Where Marston envisioned the Amazons as what women could be unfettered from men, Morrison used strawmen (strawwomen?) of third-wave feminism to set the Amazons up as narrow-minded and lacking in ethics.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Yeah, lots of people hated her in the Injustice earth. She came off like she was siding with Superman just for some sex. She was written way, way too lovestruck.
    It's called IN-justice for a reason. she's supposed to be one of the bad guys. Most of the characters have... weird motives. I mean, Batman in Injustice lets Harley use the Bat-computer in the Bat-cave without any supervision!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    This is not a good response.
    Not to mention responding to a comment with a source without using a source of your own.
    You know what? Yeah that was a bit rude. My apologies.

So, this isn't even the place for the conversation but to make it up to you.....

Kara was born before Clark, yes. But she spent all of Clark's life in suspended animation. She is physically, emotionally, and mentally a teenager while Clark is an adult who is, at a bare minimum, in his 30's and these days is probably over 40.

Kara did not arrive on earth until Clark was a grown man and already a well established and capable hero. This is when Kara got her abilities and began learning how to use them.

Clark's greater experience becomes even more apparent when you consider Jon. Clark had been Superman for quite some time before having a kid (single Superman, dating Lois, married, having Jon, we're talking at least a few years at a bare minimum), and Jon was born more than ten years ago, so Clark's been active for over a dozen years at least (and according to the 5G timeline, had been around for even longer before Jon was born). Kara on the other hand, arrived young and is still young. If we say she was 15 when she landed (and different versions use different ages, if they establish one at all) and is 20 now (and I'm not sure she's even that old) she's had a career for five years.

Clark is roughly twice Kara's biological age, with a career that is at least twice as long. And that's not counting his time before the suit either, when he was either a full fledged costumed Superboy (and that might be canon again as per Legion #2 or 3) or was having adventures more covertly. Kara might have taken some self defense classes on Krypton (most versions don't suggest this but some do) but learning a little space karate is not the same thing as mastering god-like powers that can break the earth, or learning how to fight people with the same ability.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-19-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

haha, calender age vs physical age. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    haha, calender age vs physical age. ;p
    Only in comics, am I right?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Tackling psychology in general would be good for Wonder Woman, just make it more up to date along with everything else.
    Agreed. There's absolutely no reason you can't do both.

Now this is a brilliant idea.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

When you go bare bones to Marston's it's all about how certain people can change and force should on innocent people. How Ares wanted women to be weaker. Diana wanted to make people love themselves.

Now with child welfare, this does make me wonder. Why not have the Amazons be alright with CHildren coming on their Island? It doesn't matter the gender. That a child abandoned or killed will be sent to them. The Boys will be given to someone else but the mothers will visit. I would like the idea some amazons don't hate men. They do care for children and don't want them to end up like the men who harmed them
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 01-23-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Unfortunately, I've seen which one takes priority all too often when it comes to a lot of writers. These days they're more interested in referencing the Marston stuff in the most superficial of ways than developing the Amazons as people.

Unfortunately, I've seen which one takes priority all too often when it comes to a lot of writers. These days they're more interested in referencing the Marston stuff in the most superficial of ways than developing the Amazons as people.
    There aren't a lot of writers who touch the Marston stuff (or any previous stuff, lets be real) aside from Morrison, and it being tackled in a superficial way there isn't a universal opinion. Even if it were, that's not necessarily proof that diverse and well developed Amazons can't coexist with technology.

Outside of that, Rucka gave them technology back. The Purple Ray and the plane were present along with Philippus, Areto and Epione, along with some more diverse faces in the Amazon crowd scene. Plus there is the Jimenez run.