Page 250 of 438 FirstFirst ... 150200240246247248249250251252253254260300350 ... LastLast
Results 3,736 to 3,750 of 6569
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There is also the extreme cattiness when she said "Well old friend Steve, I'm her new friend Barbara!".

It really doesn't seem like much of a stretch on Barbara's end....though Diana didn't seem thrilled seeing Max chat up Barbara either
    Absolutely. There's no way this version of Barbara Minerva was one hundred percent heterosexual, though I'm not sure she's aware of it.

With respect to Di, considering how she was still so single-mindedly focused on Steve, I can see her displeasure at seeing Barbara with Max is her general distrust of the latter as opposed to jealousy. She came across (at least to me) as the older sister to Barbara, but again it's primarily because the movie seemed so focused on reminding you "SHE AIN'T OVER STEVE, BRUH."

Had she been over him, I'd probably have read it otherwise, but that's not the Diana we were dealing with some six decades later.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Man I could swear that there's a comic where Diana kisses a literal goddess that shines like a shinging silhouette. It must be a story from around the year 2000 and I believe it's not a solo comic but something featuring the JLA. Maybe not a JLA comic but a graphic novel perhaps. Not sure.
    It might not be an in continuity story. Am I the only one that has a faint idea of this? I think I looked at this panel of the kiss this very week.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    My girlfriend audibly joked "these girls are gay" pretty early in. I think at least Barbara was crushing on her pretty hard.
    Same when I was watching it with my friends! I remember people asking Gal, Kristen and Patty in interviews if Barbara had a crush on Diana just from the trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Same when I was watching it with my friends! I remember people asking Gal, Kristen and Patty in interviews if Barbara had a crush on Diana just from the trailers.
    It could work for a potential plot in the final movie. Both characters are now canonically interested in women, too, so I don't see why not.

Going to be very hard to top the chemistry Gal shared with Pine, though. If I was either of their significant others I would probably hate watching their shared scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There is also the extreme cattiness when she said "Well old friend Steve, I'm her new friend Barbara!".

It really doesn't seem like much of a stretch on Barbara's end....though Diana didn't seem thrilled seeing Max chat up Barbara either
    (heh, cattiness)

I mean with lines like,

"You? [ever been in love]"

"Oh yeah, so many times. Like, all the time."

I couldn't help but think, "....Like, right now? With the person sitting across from you?"

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Absolutely. There's no way this version of Barbara Minerva was one hundred percent heterosexual, though I'm not sure she's aware of it.

With respect to Di, considering how she was still so single-mindedly focused on Steve, I can see her displeasure at seeing Barbara with Max is her general distrust of the latter as opposed to jealousy. She came across (at least to me) as the older sister to Barbara, but again it's primarily because the movie seemed so focused on reminding you "SHE AIN'T OVER STEVE, BRUH."

Had she been over him, I'd probably have read it otherwise, but that's not the Diana we were dealing with some six decades later.
    Oh yeah, I think that's a more accurate read on where Diana's coming from, but I can see where people would view it as subtext

God I know it's my bias talking, but the movie would have been so much more interesting if it was focused on Diana trying to move on from the death of Steve and her other friends and making a connection with Barbara only for it to erode over the course of the movie. As it stands, it feels like Barbara vanishes for most of the movie so her becoming Cheetah at the end really doesn't hit as hard as it should.

Steve Trevor is the first man Diana ever met and while I can see them falling in love initially, I can see them breaking up or drifting apart later on as Diana is exposed to this new world. They go on to date other people and may or may not get back together at some point.

I like Tom Tressor/Nemsis, especially his original characterization in Ostrander/Yale Suicide Squad but Diana jumping from one blonde straight dude who is also a spy/military guy to another blonde straight white dude who is also a spy/military makes it seem like she only has one type.

Or maybe she just James Bonds it and there is a different love interest for every story arc. Either male or female.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Maybe she does have a type?

One of the few things I liked about New52 is that Diana/Steve were togther, broke up, she dated Superman for a bit, broke up (or well I guess he died) and then she/Steve got back together (I think....)

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Maybe she does have a type?

One of the few things I liked about New52 is that Diana/Steve were togther, broke up, she dated Superman for a bit, broke up (or well I guess he died) and then she/Steve got back together (I think....)
    They never did officially say they were dating again did they...

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    They never did officially say they were dating again did they...
    Some reporters were asking Steve what it was like to be dumped by Wonder Woman so on some level the world thought so. They definitely started up again during Rebirth, and it was nice for a moment before Steve started whining again.

Didn't care for the Nemesis relationship, but it was more because he felt like diet Steve and he was a bit fratty for me to believe Diana falling for him. At most, he seems like the kind of person Diana would have thought was attractive during one of her friend's bachelorette parties, maybe even catcalled at after a goblet or two of wine.

But I don't know. He felt very much like "Steve Trevor, but a self-insert for young men" but the Heinberg-Picoult runs did a lot of damage that editors curiously refused to let get retconned away or dropped. I long to think of what Simone could have accomplished if given more freedom with the character.

The start of post Infinite Crisis seemed like they were committing to a jumping on point. Re-establish Diana's supporting cast, return the secret identity and thus give her a job and second cast of characters to interact with that revolve around her. Create a love interest that has connections to her supporting cast. They got the Dodsons onboard. Even if I don't agree with all the decisions (and decidedly not how we got there), a lot of that says "this is the ground floor for new Wonder Woman fans" like the Perez run so many years prior.

Good lord did they flub the play. What an absolute shame.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-09-2021 at 07:00 PM.

OG Nemesis was more bad ass than Steve Trevor and was worthy of Diana. The man had the balls to stand up to Amanda Waller.

Which is why it was disappointing that they gave him a personality transplant when he appeared in Wonder Woman because on paper he was perfect, just not so much in execution.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    OG Nemesis was more bad ass than Steve Trevor and was worthy of Diana. The man had the balls to stand up to Amanda Waller.

Which is why it was disappointing that they gave him a personality transplant when he appeared in Wonder Woman because on paper he was perfect, just not so much in execution.
    I read OG Nemesis long after I did the awful post-IC one. Real shame what was done to him. Tom had some real ice in his veins. I'd have to reread that run to see if I agree that Diana would fall for him, but I definitely wouldn't see him moping about if he deserves Diana which is a refreshing change of pace. What is with all these men too afraid to be with a strong wo-- you know what, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I think if she was going to be with any lantern it would be him. Kyle is sweet, caring, funny, and just wild enough for Diana to have fun with and not go over board.
    Kyle also has plenty of romantic interests already. Donna Troy and Soranik Natu(who has his baby in one timeline) are.. adequate I think Oh also Yrra Cynril tried to seduce him once, but I don't think that counts as anything more than flirting(she does a LOT more than flirting with John Stewart).
    I'm still not big or convinced that Diana being Bi has any real impact, it just feels like people on twitter making every character gay for whatever reason.
    Because some people really don't care if it make sense for the character. They're soapboxing for soapbox reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Because some people really don't care if it make sense for the character. They're soapboxing for soapbox reasons.
    Are you trying to say that somehow it doesn't make sense for Diana? Because that might be a strange but interesting discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Are you trying to say that somehow it doesn't make sense for Diana? Because that might be a strange but interesting discussion.
    That's a discussion that's been had before. :P I was more talking about how social media activism is often little more than making noise. Is the comment made by someone who genuinely thinks it's a good idea?... do they even know what they're talking about? Those things are worth knowing before you try to take it seriously.

As for if it "makes sense".. that depends on how much like myth the DC Amazons are.