Page 246 of 439 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256296346 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,690 of 6571

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Compared to the likes of Lois Lane, Selina Kyle, Iris West...no he doesnt. He's often one and done.

Movies - 2...but died in the first one and 2nd was all about Diana learning how to move on from him.

Animated - was in what? 2 episodes of JL animated? 2 WW animated films
    You're also forgetting his numerous comic appearances. That's more than any other WW love interest has gotten. Hell, that's more than almost any other WW supporting character has gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Ah yes, the love sick puppy with no other qualities to him but loving Diana and flying constantly following Diana's feet, never gets old. Between his golden age version, his silver age version, his non existence in post-crisis, and being cuckold in Nu52 to Clark constantly trying to one up each other, and now his reversion back to something akin to the golden age. Steve has never really been a character. He's a pilot and he loves Diana, that's pretty much it. I don't recall much else about him. Does he like to travel? what's his hobbies? is he just a stereotype all American commando from G.I.JOE? who is Steve Trevor outside of Diana's puppy? and even with all that exposure, writers almost seem to NOT want to make him interesting.

Edit: as others pointed out it wasn't much exposure.
    First of all, please do not misuse the world "cuckold" here to describe New 52 Steve. I'd like to think WW fans are better than the worst, most toxic parts of the Internet.

Secondly, I was talking about Steve's use and yes he has indeed gotten plenty of exposure. The post crisis era was the longest absence from the comics and even then he was still featured in the Perez run.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    First of all, please do not misuse the world "cuckold" here to describe New 52 Steve. I'd like to think WW fans are better than the worst, most toxic parts of the Internet.

Secondly, I was talking about Steve's use and yes he has indeed gotten plenty of exposure. The post crisis era was the longest absence from the comics and even then he was still featured in the Perez run.
    Fair enough, I take back the cuck remark, but my point about Nu52 Clark and Steve each trying to one up each other still stands. Those interactions were not the worst parts of Nu52 but they were pretty bad to read through.

Having exposure and having good character aren't the same thing. Look at The Batman Who Laughs for example, lots of exposure no real character. Steve is perpetually stuck in this state of being a puppy dog that follows Diana around or complains that one of the most important figures in DC doesn't have time for him, like he can't find a hobby or something.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I think Steve's primary trait should be that he is not intimidated by being with a woman who is more powerful, successful and high profile than him. He shouldn't be a horn dog nor should he be trying to talk her down. As Diana becomes acclimated to Man's World and it's prejudices, she would admire that trait of Steve more and more.

Though, in order for those traits to stand out, he would need a foil. Just like how Lois Lane interacting with paparazzi and less moral reporters reinforces her integrity and why Superman fell for her, Steve needs to be someone who can stand up to an actual misogynist (someone akin to Morrison's Dr Psycho) in order to reinforce why he is worthy of Diana.
    Last edited by John Venus; 05-08-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

You're also forgetting his numerous comic appearances. That's more than any other WW love interest has gotten. Hell, that's more than almost any other WW supporting character has gotten.
    A big chunk of the comic appearances weren't as a love interest though (post-Crisis). They weren't even substantial in treating him as a supporting character. He was kind of treated as a pointless holdover from the previous eras.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I think Steve's primary trait should be that he is not intimidated by being with a woman who is more powerful, successful and high profile than him. He shouldn't be a horn dog nor should he be trying to talk her down. As Diana becomes acclimated to Man's World and it's prejudices, she would admire that trait of Steve more and more.

Though, in order for those traits to stand out, he would need a foil. Just like how Lois Lane interacting with paparazzi and less moral reporters reinforces her integrity and why Superman fell for her, Steve needs to be someone who can stand up to be an actual misogynist (someone akin to Morrison's Dr Psycho) in order to reinforce why he is worthy of Diana.
    That's a bingo!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Except we arent talking about other WW love interests. That's like saying "well Lois has gotten more appearances than Lana and other Superman supporting characters" Comparing him to his technical "love interest counterparts", the guy is really behind. The two havent even had a "modern day" wedding like Clois or Bat/Cat if my memory isnt forgetting anything.

Wonder woman did almost marry Nemesis though.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Except we arent talking about other WW love interests. That's like saying "well Lois has gotten more appearances than Lana and other Superman supporting characters" Comparing him to his technical "love interest counterparts", the guy is really behind. The two havent even had a "modern day" wedding like Clois or Bat/Cat if my memory isnt forgetting anything.
    And as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. I still see no reason why Diana and Steve must be together anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Though, in order for those traits to stand out, he would need a foil. Just like how Lois Lane interacting with paparazzi and less moral reporters reinforces her integrity and why Superman fell for her, Steve needs to be someone who can stand up to an actual misogynist (someone akin to Morrison's Dr Psycho) in order to reinforce why he is worthy of Diana.
    I mean I don't mind Steve being flirty or kind of a horn dog for Diana at least. Part of Diana's message is sexual liberation and exploration, she wouldn't be a prude or uncomfortable talking about sex, like I think Clark would be. But, I still like her with Steve and definitely don't want her to turn to Batman light with a bunch of flings.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Steve Trevor will always struggle to get over because he doesn’t fall into traditional male love interest tropes and cliches. Their is a strong percentage of the population that believes that a women wouldn’t stay with a man weaker, or less powerful then herself. That’s why their is a strong pull to either match her with another superhero(someone parallel to her) or characterize her as a lesbian( which would change the power dynamic in their eyes).

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I mean I don't mind Steve being flirty or kind of a horn dog for Diana at least. Part of Diana's message is sexual liberation and exploration, she wouldn't be a prude or uncomfortable talking about sex, like I think Clark would be. But, I still like her with Steve and definitely don't want her to turn to Batman light with a bunch of flings.
    I don't mind him being flirty in circumstances where it's appropriate. When I wrote horn dog, I was thinking of the Steve in the 2009 movie where he said Diana had a nice rack while under the influence of the lasso and thought sexism was just women getting angry at men for holding doors and ****.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Steve Trevor will always struggle to get over because he doesn’t fall into traditional male love interest tropes and cliches. Their is a strong percentage of the population that believes that a women wouldn’t stay with a man weaker, or less powerful then herself. That’s why their is a strong pull to either match her with another superhero(someone parallel to her) or characterize her as a lesbian( which would change the power dynamic in their eyes).
    Then they should push against that traditional male ideal. There's no reason why female heroes can't get non-hero love interests too

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Clark and Lois are interesting because conceptually they make sense. So regardless of execution it's always going to be a good pairing.

I have nothing against Steve Trevor and I myself have a particular idea for what I would like to do with him, but it seems to me like we are way past this romance and I don't understand why people don't want Diana to have a relationship with someone that is completely different and just as fascinating and unique as Diana.
    I think Steve, like mythical Eros needed Anteros, needs an anti-Steve to be a better more impactful Steve. He's boring, because he, UNLIKE Lois Lane [He is NOT Diana's Lois...never has been.], has no real challenges, uncertainty, nothing to ask forgiveness for. He is such a speed bump, in this comic, but, ..as bad, as I want him gone, I would love to see one really GREAT writer, restore him to his Golden Age greatness.

I'm beyond wanting to see a Steve-Diana romance, if I ever wanted it. I'm not even sure Diana needs a traditional, serial romance, anymore, like Blues and Lois's.

What I'm ready to see is Diana being portrayed, as an independent adventurer and commander of her own small circle of loyalists - Diana's Army - who are fellow adventurers, each bringing their own individually special skills to her bizarre, faraway missions! I would like to see this circle of loyalists, firstly presented as a team, but gradually growing together, as a family - going from protecting each others backs, to supporting each other, as people - then, loving each other, as a strong, Wonder Woman Family. At its center, an enduring partnership and friendship, between Steve and Wonder Woman, with uncertain boundaries, uncertain thrust and trajectory...danger, thrills, humor! If Diana is an adventurer, surrounded by adventurers, her most promising love prospect, the thing with Steve, ..should conceivably be the biggest adventure of her life.

I think throwing a rival into the mix, for Diana's affections, and making that rival a semi-regular character - for me, that's a point more regular, than a recurring character, but, not in every issue - is a step, in the right direction. Even Lois had adult Lana, Cat Grant, Wonder Woman, Maxima, adult Lori Lemaris! Why would it be so terrible giving Steve, a little motivation toward that end, ..and why have some of us been so afraid of that?

I can understand being protective of Diana, not wanting to see other characters (especially, straight male ones) outshine her, in the comic - not wanting to see Wonder Woman become a side-order character, in her own comic. I get it. I can understand being resistant to new writers making dramatic changes to Diana's situation - the Papi Zeus thing, etc - not knowing if the changes will damage her, beyond repair. But, being overprotective of Steve, wanting to keep Steve unchanged [Are we serious?]...

Sorry. Don't get it. What's Steve got that's worth preserving? He's boring, as hell. He's Darin, on Bewitched. Someone please, please explain that to me.

I don't mind Steve being in the narrative, but would happily see his role, in it...in Diana's life, dramatically changed.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-08-2021 at 07:56 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    In Wonder Womans case there is a perfect solution for that right in front of everybodys noses...Wonderbat.
    Bruce is physical weaker, he is technicly "just a man" and their personalitys even each other out.

The disrespect DC shows it in favor for the whole Superman/Wonder Woman "we need to be together because we are superpowered beings" is insane considering how well the justice league cartoon showed, how good Batman and Wonder Woman would be.

A perfect match, the princess and the knight...but i digress.XD

My problem with Steve is that he has no character trait that really has something unique.
    He has no real personality, him being "weaker" than Diana is the only interesting thing i personally see in him.