Page 170 of 440 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180220270 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 6586
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    For me, Earth-1 Paradise Island is perfect, wouldn’t change anything about it. The Amazons have harnessed this spiritual energy called Orgone (aka life-force) and all their tech is powered by it which I think is pretty on-point because orgone is a life-giving and hence feminine force, as opposed to a destructive one

Besides, the Island is absolutely stunning, a veritable feast for the eyes
    I think some of Morrison and Paquette's thought processes for the designs are weird and pretty dumb, but thankfully none of that actually makes it onto the page. You wouldn't know it unless you read interviews.

So yeah, I definitely agree that it is my favorite depiction of the island on a visual level. It's absolutely gorgeous.

I often thought it would be nice if there was more than one city. I mean in ancient times there was always more than one city. Themscryia could be the main city but the others can be for one goddess or for something else. Like how around DOomgate there is a city. Like a military city. Where amazons train specifically to fight monsters. If we want to know why the Amazons want to advance it can easily be the monsters are much tougher and harder.

I often thought it would be nice if there was more than one city. I mean in ancient times there was always more than one city.
    For me that's heavily dependent on population. I'm rather fond of a small population (few thousand) and a pseudo palace-economy (but only somewhat like). Not married to it, but it works for me. Also depends on whether they reproduce and population increases or not.

Like a military city. Where amazons train specifically to fight monsters.
    A military base in a city or a city built around it makes sense. But they still need food (cooked at home or restaurants or food stands), clothing (again, made at home or purchased premade or distributed by government or made to order or whatever), and infrastructure (water transportation,. sewage, possibly electricity, though that may be generated on-site for each building), and professionals to maintain the buildings and equipment and so forth. At least, I'd want recreational outlets for them, and of course, women have to be there to be employed in those outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I often thought it would be nice if there was more than one city. I mean in ancient times there was always more than one city. Themscryia could be the main city but the others can be for one goddess or for something else. Like how around DOomgate there is a city. Like a military city. Where amazons train specifically to fight monsters. If we want to know why the Amazons want to advance it can easily be the monsters are much tougher and harder.
    I didn't particularly care for Earth One's Themyscira but one aspect I did like was the idea there were multiple cities on the island (New Athens, New Sparta, etc), so yeah I'd be down with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    For me that's heavily dependent on population. I'm rather fond of a small population (few thousand) and a pseudo palace-economy (but only somewhat like). Not married to it, but it works for me. Also depends on whether they reproduce and population increases or not.

A military base in a city or a city built around it makes sense. But they still need food (cooked at home or restaurants or food stands), clothing (again, made at home or purchased premade or distributed by government or made to order or whatever), and infrastructure (water transportation,. sewage, possibly electricity, though that may be generated on-site for each building), and professionals to maintain the buildings and equipment and so forth. At least, I'd want recreational outlets for them, and of course, women have to be there to be employed in those outlets.
    For me. In terms of how they populate it depends. Like I did have an idea that any abandoned baby girl goes to the island or alike Perez. A woman will reborn on the Island. Maybe both. I mean once again Diana does need friends.

I'm not so much wedded to specific elements of Themyscira as I am about outcomes and values: Themyscira should be a nice place that has something to teach us. It should embody Wonder Woman's ideals as much as Diana herself.

So Grecian in appearance or more varied? Doesn't really matter (though I'd like if Wonder Woman's mythos got less Greek-centric). Technology or magic or both? Doesn't really matter, as long as it supports the stories told.

What I do want to see is some elements of daily life and more than just martial training. I want to see their food stalls, their libraries, and how they make clothes, not only how they make weapons and train for war.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

For me. In terms of how they populate it depends. Like I did have an idea that any abandoned baby girl goes to the island or alike Perez. A woman will reborn on the Island. Maybe both. I mean once again Diana does need friends.
    The selectivity/discrimination of that bothers me (especially if the Amazons, rather than a god, instituted it, and I'm not even really okay with them finding it acceptable). And do they remain immortal thereafter - if so, they're eventually going to run out of room. Though, of course, given the sheer number of women/girls this happens to, they're already only taking the tiniest of a percentage of them.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think some of Morrison and Paquette's thought processes for the designs are weird and pretty dumb, but thankfully none of that actually makes it onto the page. You wouldn't know it unless you read interviews.

So yeah, I definitely agree that it is my favorite depiction of the island on a visual level. It's absolutely gorgeous.
    Well, none except the vagina plane, definitely not his brightest idea

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm not so much wedded to specific elements of Themyscira as I am about outcomes and values: Themyscira should be a nice place that has something to teach us. It should embody Wonder Woman's ideals as much as Diana herself.

So Grecian in appearance or more varied? Doesn't really matter (though I'd like if Wonder Woman's mythos got less Greek-centric). Technology or magic or both? Doesn't really matter, as long as it supports the stories told.

What I do want to see is some elements of daily life and more than just martial training. I want to see their food stalls, their libraries, and how they make clothes, not only how they make weapons and train for war.
    Even though I was kind of critical about the ancient Greece aesthetic, I'm actually fine with it. You just have to balance that with other ideas to make the Amazons not come across as Luddites.

There are two reasonable explanations why the Amazons' civilization looks like nothing's changed in 2000 years:

1) They're essentially conscientious environmentalists. They live in Paradise, so they're not going to want to screw it up. That means no burning of fossil fuels to pollute the air, and no messing around with industrial chemicals that can be toxic and seep into the environment.

2) Even though they live in Paradise, it's still an island, and a relatively small one at that. They don't have a lot of natural resources to mine to facilitate mass production, and they have no trade partners. Even if they didn't care about the environment, it's not like they have the raw materials to build cars, telephones, plastic bottles, computers, etc.

Even though they essentially have no manufacturing economy, they can still be an advanced society. They can still be scholars in math, physics, astronomy, biology, chemistry, philosophy, the arts, agriculture, and even mechanical and electrical engineering. The Amazons might not be walking around with iPhones, but their top scientists would crack one open and eventually be able to reverse engineer it. They were a society that always prioritized progress and advancement, but due to limitations on resources (as well as a general lack of need to invent new machines), it's not there was a strong push to make technology a part of every family dwelling. So they have a lab where they can develop tech, but just keep the prototypes stored there and teach one another how to make stuff, without ever going into production.

Anyway, all this rambling made me think of the invisible jet. They didn't make the jet, but they know physics, chemistry, and biology (think of octopus camouflage), so they could retrofit a jet and make it invisible.

Probably my controversial take on the Amazons is that I would still keep them a warrior civilization, but I'd scale it back a lot. Like, warrior training would be a small part of their day. They do it out of tradition and need (think of how Israel and Korea conscript civilians), so they're ready to fight, but the focus is mostly on the "art" of "martial art." They should be a people of scholars, philosophers, artists, farmers, etc. and each day they spend maybe two hours for training. And maybe after a few millennia, a lot of Amazons actually dislike combat training, because there are more interesting things for them to do throughout the day like read books or work on science projects, and that they actually haven't needed to fight anyone for so long.

How big should Paradise Island be?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-28-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Okay in terms of baby boys how should the Amazons feel. I feel no matter the gender amazons will accept any babies

Okay in terms of baby boys how should the Amazons feel. I feel no matter the gender amazons will accept any babies
    In the classic stories they deported them

So how do you guys want to do this? That yea the no men's rules could easily be because some amazons due to hate men but it's also because of the doom gate and Ares. It turns men into creatures.

So how do you guys want to do this? That yea the no men's rules could easily be because some amazons due to hate men but it's also because of the doom gate and Ares. It turns men into creatures.
    My personal preference is for it to be imposed by one or more patron deities. Men can't even go to the island or see it unless a woman guides them there.

This is why I prefer the old school where the Amazons didn't have contact with men and there were no babies, and they didn't need babies because they were immortal.
    If they keep the boy babies they're not an all female society anymore, which takes away a big part of who they are as a culture.